Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:12 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,419 times

Advertisements

I've heard that filling up your bathtub with water is a good idea.
I'd never thought of that.

I mean you may get tired of being dirty after a few weeks and need to marinate yourself in a nice long Hollywood Soak! Hahaha of course I'm kidding.

Any other ideas?
Something not obvious I mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Whatever you should be doing to prepare should be done way before the SHTF. Stocking food items, water, batteries, candles, etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Fill up car with gas (in case you have to evacuate to a safer location)

Have important documents handy - birth/marriage/passports/other id -

Have a location accessible to all family members as a place to meet up - easy from work/school, etc. - an alternate in case home is not safe/accessible - and a set time every day until all members are accounted for

Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,568,419 times
A Safe Spot (or whatever the terminology is, Bug Out Spot) right....good point about the gas, too.

Basically load up (again) on whatever necessities may be on the verge of getting very scarce.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
100 Items to Disappear First

Old 02-23-2010, 06:39 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
I have to second having all your vital records in a handy, portable, fireproof and waterproof case. Even in a "minor" catasptrophe like weather or seismic events, being able to prove who you are, what your status is, and what you're entitled to (like insurances and bank deposits, etc) is invaluable.

Have several meet up/bug out locations established beforehand, with a plan of which is first/how long to stay/how to leave messages, and always have enough fuel in your vehicles to get to all of them.

Also consider getting a motcycle/motorbike/moped and learning to ride it... in a big emergency, roadways will be hard to navigate in a car/truck and it's easier to take a bike off road if necessary. Heck, even a lowly bicycle would be a transporation boon once fuel becomes scarce.

Don't go anywhere without a means to start a fire. Seriously. I have a small fire steel that lives on my key ring... that's in addition to any lighter or matches I might also be carrying. Always being able to start a fire could be the difference between life and death in a critical situation.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Oh yeah - Medical Info. At the very least, you should have your blood type on your person at all times. If you have ANY medical conditions, no matter how minor, that info should be on your person at all times. And if you have any serious medical conditions or deadly allergies, just get it tattooed on your body!

You never know when you might be found unconscious or too wounded/ill to communicate and will need immediate and proper medical care. Valuable seconds and minutes are wasted even just typing your blood, and you certainly don't want someone helpfully giving you antibiotics that you're deathly allergic to.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
What to do and when will be as different as are people. I have the idea MA4S just lives this way as I do. Anytime i go to town I get gas on the way home, as well as have jugs of it here anyway for other equipments.

I keep a supply of items under all catagories I can legally, and a few I can't legally but screw em, I will have meds. (that would be antibiotics) My medical kit is pretty extensive, for common cuts to the point of sewwing, I just hope thar's whiskey to go if it me that needs the sewwing I have training is some medical natures and can set my own bones and have twice. Can't say that's any fun, but it works.

My idea of finding out it is going to be a bad day, means I will not want to go anywhere, and to the point I might chain my driveway, and set a sign out at the end says 'old town dump closed'. I made that sign 3 years ago and left it out in the garden where it just lives in the weather.

Pretty much for no more than I live rural I have items here for most anything, and have for so many years I forget what others might need on an instant.

Most of the time I think if folks can remain home, they are better off, and i sure would want to be headed any distance on a bad day, unless maybe it was a storm and there is no choice by some offical order, which may atleast present a civil form of protection, but not like katrinia I hope.

One tool I thought to get is a water filter for hiking, since I can't always find water i am willing to drink like I once did. I am still examining these for the one that fits my style, one that won't break down easy and can be cleaned with not fussy parts. Or of I need fussy store bought parts to get a life time supply, and I am only 58.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,942,575 times
Shoes with a good sole

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM

357 posts, read 800,207 times
Change your underwear.
Because you wouldn't want to be caught dead without clean underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness