Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,034,235 times

Advertisements

Maybe you like to, or, you could feel uncomfortable doing so.

Do you set prices for your products or services, in expectation of haggling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I don't mind offering a lower price but I don't like the going back and forth of haggling.

Most items like food, gas, and retail can't be negotiated.

If it's a personal sale, yard sale, or buying a car I will offer a lower price. That would be the price I am willing to pay. If they say no then I walk on the bigger items. I may fold if it is a yard sale item that I want and counter.

The only time I have had to set my price for haggling is when DH and I sell Real Estate. Most people think it is a given to take money off

Old 01-20-2012, 07:24 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
I'm all for it. It's part of doing business.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Haggling, is something that does'nt come easy to the English, we are used to prices
being set in a shop. If we go to Turkey, or Tunisia, haggling is expected. Trouble is
knowing what the bottom price is. The funniest haggle we ever had was for a wooden
bowl in Tunisia. Judy wanted a large olive wood salad bowl. So we went in the Medina in
Sousse to buy one. We got the guy down to 22 dinars, which is about $15. I was'nt
sure, so said no. Well, the shop owner had a verbal fit, anf threw it at the wall, and
cracked it. We left the shop, had a look elsewhere, and decided the original guy had a
good price. I said "we'll go back". Judy said "no way, we'll try tomorrow when he's cooled
down". Next day we went back and bought it, luckily his wife was running the shop, and
we got in and out safely!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:19 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I don't mind offering a lower price but I don't like the going back and forth of haggling.

Most items like food, gas, and retail can't be negotiated.

If it's a personal sale, yard sale, or buying a car I will offer a lower price. That would be the price I am willing to pay. If they say no then I walk on the bigger items. I may fold if it is a yard sale item that I want and counter.

The only time I have had to set my price for haggling is when DH and I sell Real Estate. Most people think it is a given to take money off
Ditto here...

Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
I never haggled in my life until I went to Saudi Arabia but after two years there, I came back with a completely different outlook. I've gotten good deals on many things not often thought of of "haggle-able", i.e. washing machine, refrigerator, air conditioner. You just have to talk to the manager (or owner) and be prepared to pay cash.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:13 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Who'll give me a fiver for some brilliant insight into this topic?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:30 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I just don't feel comfortable w/it - I might do it a "little" at a flea market/yard sale (even then I feel weird, basically I feel like if it's a fair price, that's what I'm willing to pay). It completely amazes me though that some will try to haggle prices at department stores/grocery stores, etc.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,480 times
I expect it and do it myself on haggleable (new word!) items. Cars, and pretty much anything bought from a private party. Also do it at retail stores on bigger items (TVs, appliances)... like a previous poster said though, only if you're paying in cash. A lot of retail places don't necessarily drop prices on items, but you can usually get them to throw in something with the item as part of the deal.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:21 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Yup. Haggling, barter, you name it. I love the 'natural' economy. I don't try it where it is not expected though. I would feel awkward trying to haggle at a corporate store like BestBuy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products