Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:51 AM

200 posts, read 482,897 times

Advertisements

Just for the heck of it, I'd like to know if this is confusing and as dumb as it gets...

The other day I bought a package of cubed stew meat at the local S supermarket. It was discounted down due to it being the last day it needed to be sold. Or so I thought. After I left the cashier, I looked at my reciept to check the prices (as always) and saw that I had a 50% discount for meat. Now, the meat originally cost $5.60. It had been discounted down to $3.80. When I looked on the packaged, I saw that the cashier had taken off the top of the big 50% sticker (guess I'm blind that I never saw it). But I only recieved a discount of $1.91 off the $5.60.

When I spoke with the manager about it today (even the clerk couldn't figure it out), she explained to me that because I hadn't used my special super duper I'm a premium human being card, the 50% disc. was only off the already discounted price. But that discounted price was only for the super duper I'm a premium human being members. Thus, I didn't get that discount, but the 50% came off that price. Does this make ANY sense to anyone??? How can I get a discount off a price I'm not qualified for???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
sounds like you need to get their store card...

Old 12-30-2012, 09:49 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinhobo View Post
Just for the heck of it, I'd like to know if this is confusing and as dumb as it gets...

The other day I bought a package of cubed stew meat at the local S supermarket. It was discounted down due to it being the last day it needed to be sold. Or so I thought. After I left the cashier, I looked at my reciept to check the prices (as always) and saw that I had a 50% discount for meat. Now, the meat originally cost $5.60. It had been discounted down to $3.80. When I looked on the packaged, I saw that the cashier had taken off the top of the big 50% sticker (guess I'm blind that I never saw it). But I only recieved a discount of $1.91 off the $5.60.

When I spoke with the manager about it today (even the clerk couldn't figure it out), she explained to me that because I hadn't used my special super duper I'm a premium human being card, the 50% disc. was only off the already discounted price. But that discounted price was only for the super duper I'm a premium human being members. Thus, I didn't get that discount, but the 50% came off that price. Does this make ANY sense to anyone??? How can I get a discount off a price I'm not qualified for???
I started a thread (recently) about something very similar---retailer's discount cards. Friggin' hate all this gimmicky stuff from stores these days. There are a lot of good (and not so good) posts in that other thread. FYI.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
They're not gimmicks as much as a means to track your every purchase, influence your buying habits, all with the purpose to maximize profits.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
They're not gimmicks as much as a means to track your every purchase, influence your buying habits, all with the purpose to maximize profits.
yes, yeS, yES, YES!!! Exactly. That irks me even more than the goll-dang gimmicks! I think it's time that we all go back to subsistence living when and whereever possible. Grow your own food or work out a plan to have someone do it for you (and pay them--not the big corporations).

Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I so agree! None of those annoying cards for me....I shop at one store that does not use that gimmick-Publix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
yes, yeS, yES, YES!!! Exactly. That irks me even more than the goll-dang gimmicks! I think it's time that we all go back to subsistence living when and whereever possible. Grow your own food or work out a plan to have someone do it for you (and pay them--not the big corporations).

Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
You're going off the grid because of supermarket club cards?

Wow.

Get help. Seriously.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM

200 posts, read 482,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Wow.

Get help. Seriously.
No Swagger, you need to comprehend what's going on here and by giving us that kind of a response, you clearly don't. There is no need for any of these "discount" cards. Remember life before them? The stores still had the weekly sales. Now, we need to be prodded into getting a piece of plastic sh*t, probably made in China, probably contaminating the rivers in some way during production so that we can feel we're a member of a "special" organization. Organization of the overpaid CEOs, that's what! Instead of just looking at the price and deciding if I want it, I need to be brainwashed into remembering that I have that little special card which will give me a warm fuzzy if I use it, because I "saved" today. Pulease! I don't need more plastic in my wallet.

When I really, really want a discount, I tell the cashier to swipe her card for me. If that doesn't work, I fill out the app, she swipes my new card for me, and I leave the card sitting there as I walk away. "Don't you want your card, ma'am?" she calls out. "No. I just wanted the cheap price."

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

Wow.

Get help. Seriously.
Really.

It's not like you have to give them your real name or address either; it's just a stupid loyalty card. I have one to get sale prices and to accumulate fuel points. The card doesn't have my real name or address on it.

I used a fake name/address to avoid an avalanche of junk mail, not because I'm paranoid about being in the system. I gave my address as "123 Fake Street", hehehe...

Old 12-31-2012, 12:20 PM

It looks like only a few of us get it. Go on about your business everyone...just use the plastic "feel good/loyalty card" (loyalty my arse) and follow the big corporate daddy.

By the way, travelinhobo---thanks for pointing out the deeper ramifications of this Moderator cut: language removed You're aces with me!!!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-31-2012 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products