Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:36 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,315,369 times

Advertisements

I am 58 and since a few years unable to go to shops. Before that I did not go the shops often. being from 1960 I remember the shopping for clothes was you got some new school clothes and Christmas and Easter a new dress but nothing fancy.
When online shopping started for me, was when my DD started school age 4, 14 years ago. Having had a household with my S/O since 1981 and basically I have enough things. I am home 24/7 and only visit dr so is very little new clothes I buy.
I buy some crafts items like paint tubes small size 20 ml some quilt fabric but everything is in little bits. I have enough books to re-read so seldom buy new books. I gave up on gadgets.
Youtube gives me viewing suggestions some serious fashion shopping here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCMnOjF12bw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:04 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,598 times
I used to like shopping (maybe more in theory than in practice), not so much now. I don't like crowds and even when it's not busy, fellow shoppers can be remarkably inconsiderate/oblivious/rude. So much of the merchandise is ugly or cheaply made, it's hard to find much that I even like. And when I do, probably 1 out of every 10 items actually fits, wrt clothing. Of course, shoes always fit and I certainly don't need any more of those. I'm also trying to downsize, or at least halt the accumulation, so I'm generally shopping for things I "need" and not just cool trinkets that I happen to find.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:21 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times
I'd much rather be grocery shopping than clothes shopping!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:03 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,265 times
I don't like shopping because I don't have an eye for fashion, and shopping means making decisions, and I am paralyzed by choice.

I am not interested in makeup.

I also dislike spending money.

But of course I do shop - about twice a year - and am thrilled when I find something I like that's on SALE!!

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I realize many women do, I just find it odd. I'm a female & I love it all: The clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry, sunglasses, makeup, etc.! How can a woman not like to shop?! From what I've seen, it's because maybe the woman isn't the slimmest in appearance so shopping around for clothes & disliking how they fit is just a frustrating & miserable experience. Then, of course there's not having the money to shop like one really wants to. What other reasons are there?
Shopping isn't frusterating nor miserable, usually. It's just that other priorities are more worthwhile of time.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:35 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post

Same here...

besides groceries, I buy most everything online.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:05 AM

255 posts, read 184,033 times
Yea i do hate it hahaha not all women love shopping! I cant get out of there fast enough. I'm like a man, I get what I need and leave.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:57 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Shopping = no greater torture.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:41 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I'm going w/ my mom for a nice mother-daughter day to a nice, big mall this week! If we buy a couple of things, fine, but to me, it's not about how much I can spend. I like walking around, seeing the stores & if it's a mall I've never been to, all the better!

(My mom & I don't smoke, drink, go to bars, pubs, lounges. We don't like just getting together solely at restaurants, we don't care for parks & the outdoors, especially when it's hot. We're rarely at the movies together (but I am on my own) & there's no museums around here, so there's no other place to go that I can think of that doesn't have a time limit, is relaxing, you get some amount of exercising/walking, is relatively safe, is FREE, & has a choice of different foods if you want. Plus, we don't like just sitting up in the house for hours. If anyone knows of a different place w/ all those aspects, please let me know.)

For example, I've been wanting to go to the Mall of America that they say takes 2-3 days to walk through. I'd make a trip out of it & fly there for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's the double edge sword. I despise spending money. I love finding ridiculously low or free items. I'm a hunter by nature. Not in the sense of killing animals though! Just finding a killer deal!

I take offense on the retail customer service. I've had to buy a ten pack of lip balm to bite my lip with some consumers or kiss their maximus to get them to buy a product. All for a meager and somewhat laughable wage. Just so YOU,the consumer don't have to incur a price outside your budget. And yes I actually respected the consumers.

I personally DO NOT like to be bothered by sales people. I know the spiel. Go 'upsell' someone else. Don't call me...ill call you.

There is something magical though in going to a book store and spending an hour perusing the authors. No 'online' experience of shopping can replace that!

So as they say...a fool and her money soon part...I'm working on not being a fool...it's almost a tug of war to surrender a $20 Bill ! My wallet says don't !
Regarding the whole customer service & friendliness aspect of it, nobody needs to upsell me a thing. I'm talking about 99% of the time I'm in stores, they'll walk all around me. All I want is a simple, "Let me know if you need any help!" but I can't even get that practically any of the time. What's wrong w/ people in the retail service industry?! If it was up to me, they'd be fired.

If I could get $1 every time I was ignored for every store visit, I'd be a rich woman! I know there's probably no money for this these days, but if they went back to the COMMISSION method in which the employee gets paid extra for what they sell, then employees would be a hell of a lot friendlier...the way it should be. It's nothing about how that would be fake or whatever, it's their job to be friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
Ha, I love grocery shopping too! It's actually fun to me...& don't get me started on the times I go to the more upscale, fancy grocery stores like Bristol Farms or Whole Foods!

Old 08-06-2018, 03:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,680,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily003 View Post
Yea i do hate it hahaha not all women love shopping! I cant get out of there fast enough. I'm like a man, I get what I need and leave.
Same here. I call it.."Surgical Strike Shopping"...Go in, identify target, retrieve, execute sale, leave store.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products