Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times

Advertisements

Is it worth the extra money to buy extended warranties on products you buy? Seems like most large purchases made they try and sell extra warranties to cover repair or extend the dates for a year or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 03:47 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Almost always a BAD buy, that's not just my opinion, that's also the opinion of consumer publications.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 PM

250 posts, read 937,265 times
As a general rule, NO.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,333 times
I bought one for my husbands X-Box glad I did had no problem in returning the it evan after a cross country move>

Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
I live in Florida, the lightening strike capital of the world. When I purchased a microwave, I purchased the extended warranty for it and am VERY glad I did. They have been out twice to fix it, both times it required additional parts.

I also purchased a TV out of th box at a considerable discount and got the extended warranty. I am going to have to take it back to them to get them to fix something on it. No having to take it to the manufacturer, just the store down the road.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,233 times
I ALMOST never buy the extended plans. I have satellite radio, and I love it, but Delphi products have not worked well. They will work fine for awhile, then just go dead. I just take them back to Best Buy, and they give me a new one. This has happened a few times already, so in this case I am glad I got the extended.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I live in Florida, the lightening strike capital of the world. When I purchased a microwave, I purchased the extended warranty for it and am VERY glad I did. They have been out twice to fix it, both times it required additional parts.
You realize a good surge suppressor is about $15? And most of them come with a warranty against damage to your appliances/electronics.

Extended warranties are how places like BestBuy make their money. That's why they push them so hard. It's like movie theaters and popcorn -- the snacks are where they make their money.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:00 PM

278 posts, read 910,376 times
I also live in Florida where we experience a lot of lightening. I now have almost all of our more expensive electronics on surge suppressors. It is very good advice RoaminRed!

I never purchase extended warranties. When my son bought his PS3 from Best Buy....the salesgirl actually said the product had too many 'bugs' in it not to buy it. Six months later, none of the 'bugs' she warned about has surfaced. I felt it was a really aggressive attempted sales move from the store and I didn't appreciate it since we had just spent over $650 for one of their products. I haven't shopped there since.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,870 times
Just something to consider , buying a warranty is a risk to cost decision, you'll spend 6k to 12k a year for medical insurance, 1k plus for car ins, A extended warranty on a car is 1k to 2k for 6, 7, 8 years and up to 120k sounds pretty reasonable to me plus couple that with all the low Apr rates for car loans plus its not a taxable item. Just thinking out loud 30 to 35 bucks a month sounds digestible. Heck I spill that at a night club in 1 night. Hee Hee . I say its worth the gamble.

Good Day

Old 01-17-2012, 05:40 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I bought a two year extended warranty on my new computer from Best Buy, but that only cover the CPU. I bought everything separately, and that was the most expensive piece, which is why I bought it.

On old digital camera, I bought a two year extended warranty, and used it three times. I bought one for my camera two years ago, and it never got used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products