Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times

Advertisements

Last night, my house got a call around 9:45 PM. Before I even got up I was wondering, "It's quarter to 10. Who is calling so late!". The caller ID said "Unknown name, Unknown number". I've learned by now these types of calls are bad news, but I decide to pick it up anyway. All of a sudden, a real human from "central research" asks me if I would be willing to take a survey for them. I told her "No" and just hung up.

For them to call so late is just plain rude. I understand I live on the east coast and it was only quarter to 7 out west but they should know where you are by your area code.

Have telemarketers ever tried to call your house at an unacceptable hour? If so, what have you told them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
Have telemarketers ever tried to call your house at an unacceptable hour? If so, what have you told them?
All the time, I don't pick up. I research the number and it gets blocked.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:00 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I don't pick up "unknown numbers". I let them leave a message, and call back if interested.
I also registered my phones to "Do not call registry". It helps. I don't remember when was the last time I had a telemarketing call...

Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
If I don't know the number or they do not leave a message; I don't pick up. I think many of us are doing that today. Who wants to take a chance with identity thieves answering these surveys? It isn't worth the risk. If I did want to do a survey; I would contact them - instead of the other way around. I want to know who I am talking to or have a pretty good idea - "unknown" is unacceptable.

I am curious if these boiler shops are having a hard time with caller ID - I hope so! It would not bother me if they all went out of business!

Old 09-16-2014, 06:25 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
Normally, I just ignore these calls. Most of the time it's an unknown name/number it's someone looking for donations. My father donates to a local police fund every year. I can only assume they shared our number with other places. I live in Maryland, and we've gotten calls looking for donations from as far away as Ohio! When we upgraded to FIOS from our old provider 6 years ago we got caller ID. Seriously wonderful for weeding out those telemarketers. If it says Unknown we know not to answer!

We all used to hate the calls from the school system from when I was still in high school. They called at 5:30 AM when there was a snow delay or cancellation. There was no way to opt out, which was definitely necessary considering pretty much everyone gets that information from the local TV stations.

Today around 6 we got a call and the caller ID said it was from some research company, albeit a different one. I used to do the whole online survey thing but gave up on that about a year ago. I don't think they're getting my info from there though, since I never gave them a phone number.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I am curious if these boiler shops are having a hard time with caller ID - I hope so!
They're not. Telemarketing companies have large, complex phone systems. That's kind of the business they're in, right? With this very expensive hardware, or a free linux PBX distro, or just about anything in between, you can set your caller ID to whatever you want unless your carrier blocks that feature. Virtually no commercial account is subject to this, in my experience, so the telemarketing companies are setting it to whatever they want, subject to any legal limitations placed on them or the type of business they're in.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Most of my calls are from the Republican Party, usually the entire month of October.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Even using 'do not call' list I still get them and I don't pay for caller ID I have something much cheaper. If I pick it up & it is a telemarketer I keep a whistle beside the phone that gets a shrill long blow they hang up.

I was forwarding these calls; day, times, company name they used etc to our state attorney general's office as they requested. They didn't do anything except send me letters giving different reasons why they can't go after these fools.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:55 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
The majority of the telemarketing calls come from out of the USA, many are robo-calls. By being outside of the country, off shore, they can skirt the do not call laws here.
If you do answer and want to get rid of them quickly then punch the #9 on your phone 12 or more times rapidly. That usually disconnects them and keeps them from calling your number again.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
The majority of the telemarketing calls come from out of the USA, many are robo-calls. By being outside of the country, off shore, they can skirt the do not call laws here.
If you do answer and want to get rid of them quickly then punch the #9 on your phone 12 or more times rapidly. That usually disconnects them and keeps them from calling your number again.
The number 9 or the # plus 9?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products