Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 06:38 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

[quote=shyguylh;37916958]As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I think you worry too much about all of the things that others do wrong in your opinion and you really should only be paying attention to yourself and the things you do that annoy others. Unless of course you are absolutely positively perfect in everything.
I also think a daiy dose of St. John's Wort should become your new best friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
The worst is tourists who get to the top or bottom of an escalator, then stop.
Oh yes, that too - if you live in my area - DO NOT stand to the left on escalators, and DO NOT in any area, stop at the top of an escalator (in front of a crowd or not) and pull out maps, etc. - get out of the way! LOL

Old 01-10-2015, 06:43 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
The customers the OP's describing are probably the same people who drive SLOW in the left lane.

That said, the worst offenders are the cashiers that move at a snails pace. They want to chit chat about NOTHING, ask if the item your buying tastes good (like I want to spend money on something that tastes like awful) , take forever scanning your shopper card, have to look up the sku number for every single piece of produce you buy, take forever scanning and bagging your items, and giving you back your change! The cashier then proceeds to stare at your receipt, circle how much money you "saved", circle the 1-800 number to some survey I have no interest in taking, etc. Good grief. Just give me my receipt so I can get the hellith outta here!!!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:46 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Don't like the cashiers?
Use the self-service lanes.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Don't like the cashiers?
Use the self-service lanes.
That's an option for those of you who are fortunate enough to live in civilization. I live in a Poduck town with OLD, OUTDATED grocery stores. They don't even have self-service lines!

Old 01-10-2015, 06:52 PM

240 posts, read 252,393 times
Just last week I was behind a guy who had to run out to his car to get his wallet.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I've worked an event for about 10 years. The event is held every other week all summer.

Every year, all summer, the same guy shows up without his required ID. Every time he says "I didn't know I needed it". He then always "forgets" how much it costs. And that we don't take plastic. Every. Single. Time.

At least when he runs back to his car for cash, I can put his info aside and keep the line going.

Some people need to have "I'm a moron" stamped on their head.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:05 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Thoughts?
All of the above mentioned plus;
Over the limit in the express line. She has 20-30 items in the 15 items or less line. Often produce that must be weighed before being rung up.

Line jumpers, dolts that cut in line at the front because they feel that they are special, and that their time is far more important than yours and others that were there before them. We had a recent thread on this topic on this forum.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Lines have never moved consistently fast. "Way back in the day" a lot more people wrote out checks and that would take up time because few of them pre-filled out the lines while waiting.

#7 (ATM) is the one I agree with the most. I always wonder what in Hell takes others so long. Maybe I'm just fast. My husband usually sits in the car waiting for me and he's observed a few people to look back at me like, "Huh?"

Old 01-10-2015, 08:01 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
After reading some of the OP's threads, I'd be curious to see his blood pressure reading.

My word! Talk about first world problems.

Perhaps you should stay home, since you don't like traffic, and order everything online, since people apparently drive you crazy. You will not have to wait in line, won't have to deal with people, and the items will get delivered directly to your door. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products