Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 10:03 AM

179 posts, read 268,554 times

Advertisements

I used to go shopping with a woman who did all of those things. I had someone barge in front of me at a department store checkout to "only pay a bill" and proceed to pull out the checkbook as listed above. She had to talk to the clerk and kept stopping her writing to carry on a meaningless bit of chit chat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Not if you're still unloading your cart or trying to keep your 3 kids from grabbing things off the checkout "Temptation Rack".
What does unloading your cart have to do with anything? When the total comes up, you simply compare that number to the number to expected to pay. If there's a difference, then there's a problem. You don't have to constantly watch the screen. It's simple math.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:20 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What does unloading your cart have to do with anything? When the total comes up, you simply compare that number to the number to expected to pay. If there's a difference, then there's a problem. You don't have to constantly watch the screen. It's simple math.
Maybe she is buying something like 100 items, which is easy to do in a grocery store. There are just two of us and lots of pets and my weekly grocery buying is easily over 100 items. I've seen people dragging two carts around at the store.

And it really doesn't matter anyway, because most stores will make you go to the courtesy counter to get a refund - so no need to bother the cashier.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:23 AM

2,700 posts, read 4,939,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
As a customer, I like for lines to do one thing--move. Period. Over time, I've come not to be upset at the cashiers, but those particular customers who do things that hold up the line. The cashier can't help the situation, they're doing the best they can, it's the customers who are the problem.

The types:

(1) They don't have any of their money or cards etc ready. They've had all that time to get it out, but they don't, and then they have to dig through every last pocket. Sometimes they even have to go to their vehicle AFTER they're already at the point of paying.

(2) They count out a huge amount of change for paying so they get none back. Why is it such a big deal to get change back vs all of it being bills? So what if your item is $5.62 and you get $4.38 in change back from your $10? Is it really going to kill you that much? Sitting there painfully and slowly counting out 62c so you get back an even $5 is not worth the time it takes holding up other people.

(3) Lottery ticket purchasers. I don't know why that is, but they take a whole lot longer than just paying for a soda and getting gas. There should be a separate line just for lottery tickets.

(4) Cigarettes--same thing. They're locked in a cage behind the counter and it takes awhile for the clerk to find the exact one out of dozens of options, and by the time they go, unlock the glass, fetch it, and come back, and then the customer gripes and moans about being ID'd when it's not the cashier's fault, and they have to run to their car to get it--ugh. Buy your cigarettes at a tobacco emporium.

(5) Buying like 50 items in a place like Family Dollar or Fred's. Okay, there's no policy saying you can only buy 5-10 items, but really, 90% of the people in a place like Fred's or Family Dollar etc are there to buy, say, 5-10 items, maybe 20 at the most. I've heard them say they go in there figuring they'll get in and out faster than they will in Walmart, and those check-out lines aren't long enough to hold that much. Going in there buying like 50 items, sometimes more, just holds up things. That's for WalMart, if you ask me.

(6) Arguing about a 20c discrepancy in a price. Okay, maybe the principle is the thing, but on the practical side, wasting that much of my time over 20 freaking cents--come on. Stop griping, pay the 20c, and shut up already.

(7) The ATM card doesn't work. Stop fussing about the machine being picky. Go prepared. Order another card that's fresh, or draw the money out from an ATM. Going in there KNOWING is likely to reject your card, and then complain when it does, and REFUSING to order a new card when they're free anyway--it's silly. Get another card already, it's no big deal to do so and it will fix the problem. Stop being stubborn.

Thoughts?
I totally agree.. Also the ones who have been in line at a fast food joint and they get to the counter and then they have no idea what they want.. So you have to wait another 5 minutes for them to decide...

Old 01-11-2015, 12:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Kind of impossible to do when you have a cart full of items....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And it really doesn't matter anyway, because most stores will make you go to the courtesy counter to get a refund - so no need to bother the cashier.
In my stores, the cashier makes that adjustment, not customer service. If the item is priced incorrectly, you get that item free. So yes, I pay attention and make sure the 'price is right'.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Avoid aggravation and do not go shopping at a big box until after 6:00 pm on the weekends (if you go at all). I have the no walmart on weekends rule.
I just don't go to walmart ever! (I know that's not possible in some areas)

I agree on the time. I went to a local drugstore at 10pm the Saturday before Christmas. No way was I stepping foot in there during the day.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
Speaking of Walmart, I cannot stand how they now put razor blades in a security case that the cashier isn't allowed to open. They have to call a manager to open it. So you spend 20 mins in line and finally get rung up and everything loaded in the cart...then you can't leave until a manager comes over to open the case with the razors in it. In my case, it took another 5 mins. I have never bought razor blades in Walmart again.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:37 PM

366 posts, read 433,072 times
Someone mentioned the lottery players tying up lines. I have had the clerks tell me that this often happens around the first of the month when the government checks come out. This is usually only at convenience stores though. Some people will hold up the line with their quick picks or whatever it is, which is a lengthy process at times. They will then win about 10 or 20 dollars and then proceed to purchase more lottery tickets with their "winnings", taking up even more time.

Also, the people at grocery stores who have to put items back since they don't have enough money to purchase everything in their cart. They will stand there and ponder over what items they can do without.

Check writers who have to write down the transaction in their check register BEFORE writing the check, have to ask what the date is, etc....

Old 01-11-2015, 03:14 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Speaking of Walmart, I cannot stand how they now put razor blades in a security case that the cashier isn't allowed to open. They have to call a manager to open it. So you spend 20 mins in line and finally get rung up and everything loaded in the cart...then you can't leave until a manager comes over to open the case with the razors in it. In my case, it took another 5 mins. I have never bought razor blades in Walmart again.
Well, I have a feeling Walmart is by far not the only one doing it. Our local market - a NW chain - does the same thing. I found this out a few weeks ago and was surprised. I didn't even know stores were doing this.

But why would a cashier leave post to do this? Or are you referring to a floor clerk?

Old 01-11-2015, 03:23 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I have a feeling Walmart is by far not the only one doing it. Our local market - a NW chain - does the same thing. I found this out a few weeks ago and was surprised. I didn't even know stores were doing this.

But why would a cashier leave post to do this? Or are you referring to a floor clerk?
Our grocery store HEB, doesn't lock up the razor. I hated when Wal-Mart started locking up their more expensive flea products like Frontline. They were cheaper there than at the vet, but what a hassle.

So I just order online now - free shipping and no tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products