Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:27 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

MY two reasons for boycotting Subway:

1. Pandering to Muslims by no longer serving ham or bacon in many locations in the UK

2. They treat their employees horribly -- I have read several articles saying that they are the worst fast food employer in the nation, although I suspected this already based on the experiences of one of my young relatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 07:09 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Their two mistakes IMO:

Too expensive for such "light" food.

No Drive-Thrus in the vast majority of locations.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:31 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
I always get the same thing at Subway...FOR years a foot long Vegetarian sub...$3.99.......Then it became part of the $5 footlongs....I told the girl working there...that it was always $3.99...she said no it wasn't.....how long have you worked there lady? And every Subway I have been to makes a sandwich different...I have had them packed to the gills with vegetables and other times the bread touches and I barely have anything in it....

Old 06-16-2015, 07:36 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Regardless of the price, Jimmy John's is just better, and when they opened across the street from Subway, we tried them and switched. I always found Subway's TV ads annoying, too, and have never seen Jimmy John's advertise.
Interesting. They advertise heavily on the radio here with some stupid commercials touting their "freaky fast delivery" taking it to the absurd.

I don't eat at Subway because it's just not that good and so many alternatives are available now (Jimmy Johns being one of them).

Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I always get the same thing at Subway...FOR years a foot long Vegetarian sub...$3.99.......Then it became part of the $5 footlongs....I told the girl working there...that it was always $3.99...she said no it wasn't.....how long have you worked there lady? And every Subway I have been to makes a sandwich different...I have had them packed to the gills with vegetables and other times the bread touches and I barely have anything in it....
If you think that's bad, consider my experience many years ago at a Burger King in Budapest.
I chose the "Vegetarian Whopper" from their menu board, assuming that I would receive some sort of Veggie Burger. After all of the extremely fatty food that I had already eaten in Hungary, I thought that this would be an intelligent choice.

What I received was a Whopper bun containing only a small amount of lettuce, two shards of tomato, and a tiny bit of onion. In other words, it was a Whopper--minus the meat and with almost no added vegetables--and for almost the same price as a conventional Whopper! Then, factor in the cost of a napkin and a dab of ketchup (yes, they charged for both!), and this was an unsatisfying lunch at a premium price.

Never again...

Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 AM

2,099 posts, read 2,277,188 times
two mistakes:

1. their food is crappy. Tastes bad, stale, chemicals.
2. Guess what, their price is the same as local shops or Jimmy Johns! Or within a dollar or so. Worth it, to not eat shoe rubber. Which I always thought their bread tasted like anyway. Nice, warm, shoe.

I miss Quiznos too... Now I don't want to eat Jimmy Johns either though, look up the company owner. He does canned safari hunts and is an ass to employees. Fortunately, plenty of good local shops here. I still get a Jimmy Johns occasionally though, those sprouts are so yummy!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:25 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They got rid of the $5 footlong, replaced it with $6 6 inch subs with a chips and drink and thought I wouldn't notice.

The problem is if I'm spending $5-6 already on not much food, I'm gonna spend another $2-3 to get either more quantity, or better quality. Enter Jimmy Johns or the local Chinese place, and Culvers as well.
Yes. I want either a cheap lunch, or a good quality lunch. I accept that I cannot have both. So if you're not either of those things, I'm not interested.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:40 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Only two mistakes? LOL! How about control over the franchises? One local Subway has graphic photos and artwork that is so old and sun faded that the ham is green. One in another nearby city is owned by Indians - I have NOTHING against Indians, and have had excellent Indian doctors and some valued Indian customers - but I literally could not understand one single word of what the person behind the counter was saying at that Subway. I had to resort to sign language to get a basic sub that was barely edible. Needless to say, I never returned. Then there are the constant "outages" from overly tight inventory control - "Sorry, we are out of Provolone" -"Sorry, we are out of spinach," and the visual effect of the last three tomato slices in the hopper that every customer since Saturday has passed over as unsuitable for consumption.

If DW and I go to Subway when shopping, we spend a minimum of $14 for a meal that may or may not be OK. Instead, I keep salt and pepper and a few mayo and mustard packets in the van, buy some deli turkey, cheese, veggies and rolls and put together subs that are fresher, cheaper, better, and often faster. (Not sure why subs made at delis and packaged are so stale and dry, but I wouldn't buy them except in a pinch anyway, since the leftovers from making them fresh is at least two or three other meals at home.)

Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 AM

604 posts, read 618,672 times
I haven't been in a Subway in 2 years. I don't even know why. I've just moved on.

Trying to rationalize it, maybe it was because I already spend a lot of money in imported ham or cheeses so there is no way their subs could be in the same league as any quick sandwich i make at home. If i eat out should be something either different or better. Since i don't make burgers at home, i can even eat at MacDonald's, i don't care. But for sandwiches, salads or pasta i need it to be very good.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 AM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
. One in another nearby city is owned by Indians - I have NOTHING against Indians, and have had excellent Indian doctors and some valued Indian customers - but I literally could not understand one single word of what the person behind the counter was saying at that Subway. I had to resort to sign language to get a basic sub that was barely edible.
HA !!! you went to the one in hazel green ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products