Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 04:50 PM

201 posts, read 1,004,066 times

Advertisements

Big Lots sells several models of Serta mattress sets, and we're looking for a brand-name queen set and considering buying a set from there. I'm interested in knowing what kind of experience others have had with buying a mattress set from Big Lots - specifically were you happy with your purchase, and which model you bought. Their prices are the best I've seen for a brand name mattress set, especially when they run specials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,150 times
Years ago I bought a Serta set through a discount store. Having seen the ones at Big Lots, I think the two sets were comparable. I slept on it for about five years. The center sagged rather quickly. To put it in perspective, I'm not too picky about my mattress (no back problems or the like) and I'm not a very big person. Hope that helps a little?

Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
From what I've heard, when it comes to buying "name brand matresses", there's not a whole heck of a lot that distinguishes one from another. I have a Serta set ( I think). It's a pillow-top queen set. When I was buying it, the message that I got was go with the best deal you can get.

As far as buying it from a particular place....I don't think there's too much of an issue, since there isn't a "mattress warranty".

Old 01-30-2008, 03:22 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
From what I've heard, when it comes to buying "name brand matresses", there's not a whole heck of a lot that distinguishes one from another. I have a Serta set ( I think). It's a pillow-top queen set. When I was buying it, the message that I got was go with the best deal you can get.

As far as buying it from a particular place....I don't think there's too much of an issue, since there isn't a "mattress warranty".
????? Of course there is a warranty, a manufacturers warranty!
There is a thread under house about mattresses that has quite a bit of info, please go check it out.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:51 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
????? Of course there is a warranty, a manufacturers warranty!
There is a thread under house about mattresses that has quite a bit of info, please go check it out.
Ok, maybe I should have been more specific. The warranty isn't specific to the place selling it.

How's that?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Ok, maybe I should have been more specific. The warranty isn't specific to the place selling it.

How's that?
Yaaay! go you!
although, maufacturers warranty usually requires that you you go through place of purchase.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,867,648 times
For things like mattresses, I'd go to a department store or a store that specializes in mattress. The pricepoint it too high to risk dealing with a place like Big Lots. A mattress is not cheap and something that should last about 10 years. I've noticed that name brands sold in "cheap" stores are not as good. It's as if the shoddy stuff is sold to those stores or perhaps a lower grade of the brand. For instance, New Balance gym shoes. The ones I've bought at Kohl's never last as long as the ones I've bought at the New Balance store.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 AM

mattresses are a big mystery to a lot of people, the points of the previous post are very valid!
The most important thing is to ask a LOT of questions from the salesperson. Any reputable place will have trained their staff well, and will be able to answer all queries.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
I bought three mattress sets from Big Lots two years ago. They were very reasonable and I have been extremely pleased (and pleasantly surprised) by the quality. They are very comfortable and are holding up well. I was a little hesitatant about buying them, but couldn't spend a lot of money. I would buy them again. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products