Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 04:01 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times

Advertisements

It's absurdly expensive. But look carefully at pricing of different-sized packages. At several stores in my area, buying three packages of 9-rolls is significantly cheaper than buying one 24-roll package of the same brand. I save cash and get three extra rolls of the same size. That seems disingenuous to me. Haven't we been taught that buying big leads to savings? In this case, buying small does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 04:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
I was just noticing that TP does not last as long as it used to, seems to be a lot less per roll that just a short time ago. I buy the 12 packs and switch back and forth between brands, but my supply goes down very quickly these days. A roll only lasts for a few uses and then it is gone.

Don

Old 01-27-2016, 06:56 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Scott is just about the same as it always was.
Yeah, and it stinks...*before* you use it. My wife's aunt buys that, it's only one step removed from sandpaper. The last time we visited (we stay for 2 or 3 days) I said I'm going to start bringing my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
It's absurdly expensive. But look carefully at pricing of different-sized packages. At several stores in my area, buying three packages of 9-rolls is significantly cheaper than buying one 24-roll package of the same brand. I save cash and get three extra rolls of the same size. That seems disingenuous to me. Haven't we been taught that buying big leads to savings? In this case, buying small does.
I get the 'Angel Soft' and I've noticed that at WallyWorld, the 12 'jumbo' roll package is the best deal, the smaller and larger packages are more expensive on a per sheet basis.

It used to be that larger sizes were always less expensive on a comparative basis, but that went out the window years ago, it's no longer guaranteed. You have to really look at the unit pricing. Personally, I think it might be intentional- playing of what used to be a truism and counting on the majority of the purchasers to either not notice or be too lazy to do the comparison (or simply not care).

I've also noticed that some brands of some products have the unit pricing based on different units of measure, which makes it even more difficult to compare- you can't just go by the unit price on the shelf tag, you have to actually do the math on both sizes using a common quantity.

And then there's the shrinking package sizes- something that has always been a pound of product is suddenly only 14oz, or 13, or 12; a 2lb package suddenly becomes 38oz. I think it's deceitful.

Even worse, something I've noticed particularly at Walmart is that the unit pricing on the shelf label may be *completely* wrong- the math is incorrect, or the label displays the unit price based on a larger size, when the item on the shelf is actually a smaller size than what is on the label.

You just can't trust them anymore, you have to pay significantly more attention to make sure you aren't being screwed. It's usually only only 'a little bit'...but that 'little bit' swiped on 10s of millions of purchases adds up to a lot of dollars.

There's been a lot of talk about what the CEOs of large corporations are being paid (compared to the average worker) but I think a bigger issue is that it seems like many of these companies have an attitude of "We can stiff the consumers and there's not a darn thing they can do about it. Don't like it? Tough cookies. We can do what we want and you can't touch us." It seems to run the spectrum from product companies stiffing consumers on pricing and warrantees to insurance companies giving people the runaround on claims and doing everything they can to get out of paying (coughAlstatecough) to predatory pricing on drugs that people may die without.

It wouldn't surprise me if someday ticked-off consumers started 'going postal' on some of these companies. Of course, they'll be labeled as 'nuts' or 'terrorists'...but I think that a lot of people are feeling like they've been pushed around far too much, whether they see it as coming from the government or large companies, or both, and they're getting fed up and some may be nearing the breaking point.

And on a lighter note: The amount of time that a roll of TP lasts is directly proportional to the number of females in the household vs. the number of males.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:13 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
You'll sometimes see this with other items too. That's where looking at the unit pricing comes in handy (just make sure you're comparing the same units). I'm sure the stores know that some people think the bulk packages are always cheaper and deliberately price them this way sometimes, but sale prices, of course, could be at play too.

This thread just reminded me I need to stop at Costco after work for TP!

Old 01-27-2016, 07:17 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Because now that we're retired, we're home using our own bathrooms rather than those at work.

And the butts are getting larger!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:01 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
All paper products are cheesy now, and they're being "downsized" like everything else. Paper napkins don't "stand up" in the countertop holders, and are so thin you have to blow on them to unfold them. I often quickly grab a paper towel from the hanging holder, and the entire roll (now narrow) pops out. Even the large lawn bags we use for fall leaf collection are thinner, and tear almost immediately when we open them.

I'm glad I at least remember when paper products weren't so flimsy and cheaply made.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:14 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I use the generic from Sam's and they recently put more on the rolls, not less. They also raised the package price.

I used to shop around but I have allergic reactions to a lot of brands now...saving two dollars on a package doesn't save me anything if I have to go to the doctor for a steroid prescription to treat an allergic reaction.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times
I had a old lady neighbor tell a store manager that it's getting too the point she cann't afford to wipe her ass. I thought it was funny but she didn't.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 AM

8,071 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I've always been one of those people who only buy the four-packs. It is therefore a bit of a shock to pay $3 or more just for rolls of TP. Maybe it's one of those things they feel they can charge what they like since....well, we're kind of a captive audience. They quit publishing the Sears catalog.

I still flat-out refuse to buy TP in those 125-roll "superpacks" like you see taking up most of the tissue aisle. I have a small bathroom! Some of those packages are the size of a cocktail table.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:40 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
Do like I do and use both sides.
Lasts a lot longer but cleanup is a beyatch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products