Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:11 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
New Jersey only has full service gas stations, by law
Same as Oregon

It is illegal in NJ to self serve your own gas.
I've seen some rest stops along the highway (NJTP IIRC) where there also happened to be self serve lanes. However, it is indeed almost exclusively full serve only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You have to scan your shopper card to get one of the scanners as they are locked into the rack. Outside the store, they are kind of worthless. I would also guess that if you don't return the scanner they can reach out to you as they have your information. There is also a phone app you can use.

We use the cloth bags by choice. We have about 10 in each car so whoever goes to the store has some. If we wind up with a plastic bag, we bring them back to the store and put them in their recycling bin. The chain we use most actually has cardboard boxes for anyone that wants to use them for their groceries. I've done that a few times and put the box in my recycling bin.

I kind of figured that's how they would be 'stored'....and locked. My store doesn't have shopper cards so don't know how they'd do that. People take things, worthless or not, so I hope they wouldn't.

I also use cloth bags...when I remember to take them!... but I use most of the plastic ones I do bring home for the cat litter and my small trash cans scattered around the house. When I get too many I take them back to be recycled. I've never had anyone ask if we have boxes but I think it would be good for people who want them. Don't know where we'd keep them up front though.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:23 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Wow,out of ten pages,i guess i am the only one that prefers self-checkout?

Why?

I do not have time to put up with some cashier's attitudes.
Lots of them in this area have contempt for customers.

Also,how is ringing up your groceries doing the cashier's job?
Many do other peoples job and do not realize it.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:34 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I have no qualms one way or the other, self checkout is okay for items that are priced and "not reduced". Then the scanner throws a fit.

I recall a funny event- A lady with two carts full of groceries was taking up a self check out. She was meticulous. would only let one item be on the small table area...then down it went to the scanner...then...into the bag. It took her 25 minutes. I stood behind her since her carts blocked my way to the other only operating check out. She had the attitude of a public servant...( aka Who cares about you).

So finally I asked her (curiousity does that), Why did you chose self check out?
And she said- Good heavens lady! Do you know how many germs other people have! You can't possibly want to take that home! I about lost it! I was seriously wondering...Does this lady understand the logistics of how many people touched that product from packing, to unpacking, to shipping, to stocking, to re-shelfing?? and she thinks that her food is pure and untouched by germs simply because she is now scanning it herself?

I just winked and said to her, thanks, you reminded me that I need to get some advil!

Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I've seen some rest stops along the highway (NJTP IIRC) where there also happened to be self serve lanes. However, it is indeed almost exclusively full serve only.
Somebody pumping your gas is not full service. I haven't seen a full service gas station since I was a kid. Full service is where they would fill your gas, check your oil and wash your windshield; they'd also have a rack of free maps and maybe give you a glass when you filled up.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:47 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Somebody pumping your gas is not full service. I haven't seen a full service gas station since I was a kid. Full service is where they would fill your gas, check your oil and wash your windshield; they'd also have a rack of free maps and maybe give you a glass when you filled up.
Fountain City gas station still offers full-service pumps with a smile

Old 05-12-2016, 05:24 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've read of some stores that have hand held devices people scan their items with as they put them in their baskets. By the time they get to someone to pay it's already added up, taxed and ready to pay. I wonder if they have to carry a pile of bags and do that as they go too. Sure would be easy to slip a few things in there if they wanted to, wouldn't it? Don't know how they'd check for that but I hope that doesn't come to my store.

Also read that very soon people will be able to scan their phones and pay for their purchases. With all the problems we've been having with a simple chip credit card I'm afraid to think what problems might occur using a cell phone!
I don't know about other areas of the country, but for a short time our local IKEA offered self checkout for customers using those little handheld scanners. My ex-husband and I made a trip over there and the cashier tried to make us use the self checkout. I was shocked. They wanted us to check out our own furniture! The boxes weighed 75 pounds or more. How much do we have to spend to get a little service at a store? This was a $300+ purchase. We refused and waited in line for a cashier. Not surprisingly, IKEA soon abandoned self checkouts. I don't know if the reason was because of theft or customer ire; perhaps a little of both.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Several of the stations I frequent have both self-service and full-service pumps. If you pull up to a full service pump, they will do everything you state (except give you a free map). Of course, you're paying more per gallon for that service, but it's there if you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Wow,out of ten pages,i guess i am the only one that prefers self-checkout?

Why?
I have a why question for you, too: Why do you have your posts per page set at only 10? I see no advantage to that at all. (FWIW, I have mine set at 40; accordingly, this thread currently only has three pages for me.)

Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I also use cloth bags...when I remember to take them!... but I use most of the plastic ones I do bring home for the cat litter and my small trash cans scattered around the house. When I get too many I take them back to be recycled. I've never had anyone ask if we have boxes but I think it would be good for people who want them. Don't know where we'd keep them up front though.
This store just has a stack of boxes up at the front and they are constantly replenishing them. I find that if I'm only picking up a few items and forgot the reusable bags, then I will grab a box. I pretty much never take a plastic bag at any store if I only have a couple of items. It drives me nuts when someone asks for a plastic bag for the gallon of milk they are buying.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Several of the stations I frequent have both self-service and full-service pumps. If you pull up to a full service pump, they will do everything you state (except give you a free map). Of course, you're paying more per gallon for that service, but it's there if you want it.

I have a why question for you, too: Why do you have your posts per page set at only 10? I see no advantage to that at all. (FWIW, I have mine set at 40; accordingly, this thread currently only has three pages for me.)
It must be the default. I've been lurking here over two years and didn't know there was any other option. Thus this thread is ten pages for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products