Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ummm.... I did say "yes" in my reply!

And they do it because of the possibility of counterfeit bills.
Ummm, your "yes" was specific to counterfeit bills but not cash in general. Try again

To the OP, yes, I have heard of merchants doing this. I am one such "merchant" I am a physician and we do not accept any cash for copays. We accept checks or credit card only. We are not concerned for counterfeit bills, but we are concerned about theft (both employees and thieves) and easier accounting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:25 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ummm, your "yes" was specific to counterfeit bills but not cash in general. Try again
No, it wasn't.
It specifically answered the question, with a reason as to why.
No need to try again.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:34 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Merchants who don't take cash are fools, especially ice cream stores etal where most of their sales are under $20.00. Most counterfeit bills are of the denomination of $20's, 50's and 100's. Counterfeit detecting pens run about $2.00. Other detecting methods are available. Use them.
I don't see many people using debit or credit cards for tiny purchases. I sure don't. Merchants get charged 3-5% for people using those cards. Not a good management decision. They probably get shoplifted for more than they lose on sales.
You are mistaken. Most people don't carry cash any longer. This is why money clips are replacing wallets among men because there is less need to carry cash than there once was. Most men carry their driver's license and a couple of credit cards. They might have a few bills for tipping but otherwise pay for everything with credit cards. This is one reason why Uber and ride share companies are replacing traditional taxis because there is no need to carry cash or cards for that matter. Furthermore, credit cards offer so many advantages over cash that it makes no sense to use cash. I essentially stay in hotels and fly for free because I use credit cards and pay off the balance each month. Also not having cash in your stores make you less of a risk for theft. And as I stated above, theft among employees is a common practice. It's much easier to steal when dealing in cash transactions. That alone is worth a 3-5% charge.Finally, this is also done to weed out certain clientele. In general, people of lower socio-economic background who can't attain cards due to poor credit etc don't carry credit cards.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Well, once again I am outside the "MOST".
I try to always have cash for small purchases. Not only that, but I often go to rummage/garage/estate sales. While some estate sales are conducted by specialized businesses, and so accept cards, most private-party garage/rummage sales do not. They are often "CASH ONLY". Sometimes they accept checks, but it is uncommon.
Ennyhoo, I carry a tri-fold wallet (or billfold, if you prefer), usually with more than $20, less than $100. And, of course, my small collection of plastic cards.
Coins in my pocket, if any, go in a 5 gallon water jug under my computer table every evening.
I have never filled it. I did have a little over $200 in it once, though.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:29 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
You are mistaken. Most people don't carry cash any longer. This is why money clips are replacing wallets among men because there is less need to carry cash than there once was. Most men carry their driver's license and a couple of credit cards. They might have a few bills for tipping but otherwise pay for everything with credit cards. This is one reason why Uber and ride share companies are replacing traditional taxis because there is no need to carry cash or cards for that matter. Furthermore, credit cards offer so many advantages over cash that it makes no sense to use cash. I essentially stay in hotels and fly for free because I use credit cards and pay off the balance each month. Also not having cash in your stores make you less of a risk for theft. And as I stated above, theft among employees is a common practice. It's much easier to steal when dealing in cash transactions. That alone is worth a 3-5% charge.Finally, this is also done to weed out certain clientele. In general, people of lower socio-economic background who can't attain cards due to poor credit etc don't carry credit cards.
That's a pretty blatant incorrect statement. I see more cash purchases today than CC's. Even at the grocery stores many are using cash. I use cash 90% of the time. My neighbors use cash as often. Cash talks, CC's don't.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:14 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:

To the OP, yes, I have heard of merchants doing this. I am one such "merchant" I am a physician and we do not accept any cash for copays. We accept checks or credit card only. We are not concerned for counterfeit bills, but we are concerned about theft (both employees and thieves) and easier accounting.
Pretty sad if you can't trust your employees not to steal cash. And doesn't say much about the accounting skills at your office if there is a problem dealing with cash. I am glad not to be patient at your practice!

Don in Austin

Old 09-11-2016, 03:32 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
No. If it were me, the next day I'd start calling the city/state offices for consumer affairs or the attorney general to find out if that's even legal. Seems it would be potentially discriminatory.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:47 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No. If it were me, the next day I'd start calling the city/state offices for consumer affairs or the attorney general to find out if that's even legal. Seems it would be potentially discriminatory.
No need to call anyone.
Read the thread and the links.
It is legal.
Discrimination has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, once again I am outside the "MOST".
I try to always have cash for small purchases. Not only that, but I often go to rummage/garage/estate sales. .
I have been told to never accept a $100 bill at a garage sale. A common scam is a person comes to your garage sale, and buys a one dollar item with a $100 bill that is counterfeit. You give him back $99 worth of real money, then you are stuck with a phony bill.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:54 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Read an online article about some of the pros and cons of doing no cash....

+don't have to make change
+don't have to deal with coins
I pay wish cash quite frequently, and it's sad but true, that some cashiers cannot make change. They don't know how or they don't have the patience to count it out. In some cases, they don't understand what the currency is, example: they don't understand that a nickel represents 5 cents, a quarter is 25 cents, etc. And even though the register tells you what amount to give back in change, cashier jobs still require basic math skills. However, that really shouldn't be the customer's problem if a cashier can't count change. It is an easy job, I worked as a cashier in high school and college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products