Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:34 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
A "grazer" is someone who takes the offered samples from the booths at Costco, and that is a bad thing?

Huh. I always thought they wanted people to take those samples. You never know, someone might really love a new food and decide to buy it.

I shop at Costco very frequently (about every 2 weeks) and have never once seen a person hang out in front of a sample booth eating 5 or 10 samples. Everyone takes one, maybe two if there are several different flavors (of popcorn or potato chips).
My brother's best friends are a couple who go out every Weekend to Costco, Sam's Club, and BJ's to eat samples as their meal. I have had the misfortune of running into them while in the act, and have seen them put away at least a dozen chicken wings each, just at Costco. This is in addition to all the other samples there, plus the other two stores.

The REALLY wild part is that they do NOT have a membership at Costco OR BJ's. BJ's doesn't check membership cards on entrance, and they use a decade old expired Costco membership for entrance there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 02:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I've never had an issue with aggressive vendors at Costco, that's surprising. The only ones who ever approach me are DirecTV and they aren't persistent once I decline.

They've been supporting Children's Miracle Network every spring for as long as I can remember.
When the directv guy approaches me, I just tell them I have the best television service, an antenna that I get 60 stations with

Old 05-04-2018, 03:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Only time I felt hassled was having to show my card.... Then I learned it was a rule...Oh....

Old 05-04-2018, 03:13 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
No problems in the multiple ones I go to in NJ and PA, but I hear the ones in CA now have "safe spaces" for people that feel uncomfortable for any reason
Never heard or saw this in any of the Costcos' I've been in.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:18 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
When I go to Costco, I have a detailed list.
I get the stuff on the list.
My husband will have a slice of pizza and a coke.
We leave.

We are retired and go during the week, right when they open. No grazing stations are set up, no vendors, few little kids.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:29 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
No, I've never been harrassed by anybody selling things at Costco. I do hate it when stores ask for donations while you pay. The cashier asks if you want to donate and you have to push no on the machine. It feels like people are being guilted into donating because they make you publically say no, so you seem cheap or uncaring. I donate to specific causes and do not like being asked this while shopping. This happens a lot at RiteAid. My bf usually pays at Cosctco so I'm not sure if our store asks for a donation but if they do it's not only Costco, other stores do this also. I dislike all the food stations as well. I'm not one for eating while walking around shopping. Something about that really irks me. Maybe I need to stop by the "safe space." I assume that was a joke. I live and shop in CA and have never seen a safe space anywhere.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:43 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jelenap View Post
I always shop in off hours and had no problems before but in the last month or so I feel soliciting in the store has become incessant. Not sure if it’s just our store or some corporate change.

Right next to the entrance there is always some guy who yells at every customer “Hello sir/mam, would you like to hear about...”. No one is ever interested. It feels like one of those mall kiosks where they just want to scam you by selling some overpriced cream.

And this week they started asking for donations for some hospital. OK but even after I politely refused the cashier kept telling me how great of a hospital that was, etc. Then I go to get a hot dog and, again, the cashier is asking about a donation.

Since we are literally paying to shop there, this seems a bit too much. I really just want to get in, get what I need and get out as quickly as possible. Do you have the same experience in your store or is it just ours?

There are frequently some sale actions but those folks are never intrusive and most are quite nice, actually.
Not really. Every once in a while there might be some kind of school group selling something by the exit area.
Inside - DirecTV and some cell phone sellers. Then the usual taste testing stands. Maybe once every 6 months or so there's some kind of hearing/health testing going on. Nothing close to those incessant sellers in the middle of the aisles at some malls though.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:04 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Of course you do....my pets like free treats too!

Do you stop your cart in the aisle and stuff your faces at each and every station? Yeah, that's grazing....just buy the stuff or not!

Grazers disgust me....99% have no intention of buying whatever the sample is, they just want free food.
I must be that 1% . No, usually don't have my cart in those areas. Most often don't even use a cart. I don't want to buy a whole ton of food if I'm not familiar with said product so the taste testing does help me to decide one way or the other. I may not get the product on the same day either. So, you can't really go by that.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
No problems in the multiple ones I go to in NJ and PA, but I hear the ones in CA now have "safe spaces" for people that feel uncomfortable for any reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Never heard or saw this in any of the Costcos' I've been in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No, I've never been harrassed by anybody selling things at Costco. I do hate it when stores ask for donations while you pay. The cashier asks if you want to donate and you have to push no on the machine. It feels like people are being guilted into donating because they make you publically say no, so you seem cheap or uncaring. I donate to specific causes and do not like being asked this while shopping. This happens a lot at RiteAid. My bf usually pays at Cosctco so I'm not sure if our store asks for a donation but if they do it's not only Costco, other stores do this also. I dislike all the food stations as well. I'm not one for eating while walking around shopping. Something about that really irks me. Maybe I need to stop by the "safe space." I assume that was a joke. I live and shop in CA and have never seen a safe space anywhere.
It's a sad state of affairs when something like is can be so easily believed about California. I would venture to say that most people outside of California would have no problems believing it.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products