Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
I just use the Honey browser extension, on a browser I rarely use, to find the best discount code when I'm checking out. It has saved me a lot of money. After I finish applying the best discount code, it asks me if I want to create an account. I always decline that part of it. I think you can also earn points too, but probably at an increase cost of privacy.

So now I am intrigued. I have heard it's legit. I am just not sure how do you use it? If I download the app to my chromebook, (and I prefer also to not make an account - just use it as you have done) then what? I go to the website such as amazon or wayfair and how do I see the discounts available?
Thank you to anyone who can explain this - I seem to be a bit unsure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
So now I am intrigued. I have heard it's legit. I am just not sure how do you use it? If I download the app to my chromebook, (and I prefer also to not make an account - just use it as you have done) then what? I go to the website such as amazon or wayfair and how do I see the discounts available?
Thank you to anyone who can explain this - I seem to be a bit unsure.
You download it as an extension for whichever web browser you use, and it works automatically when you're going through the checkout process on a website. Or on Amazon it will tell you if the product is being sold at a lower price.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Hmm. Not sure I want to install it, but if anyone figures out cui bono, here, post your thoughts.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:54 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Hmm. Not sure I want to install it, but if anyone figures out cui bono, here, post your thoughts.
Yep, same here.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:58 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I'm getting posts on FB about Honey. Does it really save you money? Anyone have any experience? I don't want to clutter up my devices with things that don't really work.
No--I tried it and it is a very annoying extension that has never saved me any money.

Better off with camelcamel.com. That site definitely has saved me money. Let me know about a one-day Kindle sale--$40 off, that I never would have known about.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:31 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Very good thoughts. I forgot about that "something for nothing" thing. What exactly are they getting out of this? Ads on the side?
They are most likely getting a cut from whatever store you use when you link to it through the app. Same as eBates or when I link to a store through my credit card “partners” page. Yes I’m sure they track what you’re buying, but so is everyone. if you use a store loyalty card or store credit card, they are tracking what you’re buying top and probably selling the info.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No--I tried it and it is a very annoying extension that has never saved me any money.

Better off with camelcamel.com. That site definitely has saved me money. Let me know about a one-day Kindle sale--$40 off, that I never would have known about.
This--I installed Honey. It was very annoying, and I kept getting multiple emails from them daily. From what I saw on Amazon, it was directing me to lower prices, BUT with shipping it was higher since I have Prime. No thanks.

Haven't heard of camelcamel--will check it out.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:41 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I use it, it works well. I have the ebates extension too.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:52 PM

733 posts, read 761,156 times
Yes, it is legitimate. I have the browser extension in Chrome. But I can't say it's saved me any money really. I usually have coupon codes and it has not found any I didn't already have. But certainly worthwhile to try for your browser. Not certain about a phone app.

I can definitely recommend Ebates. Get the browser extension, and it will let you know when you are shopping if the site you are on offers cash back. I've gotten hundreds of dollars back into my Paypal account from them over the years.

Note that you have can both Honey and Ebates as browser extensions. While they both can offer coupon codes, the do do a few different things.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:13 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
So I was curious about this 6 months in. I have used it(honey) and so far it's basically shown me discounts that I am already aware of but one time- it did actually find the identical item on a different website (a familiar affiliated one) which was cheaper and compared all codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products