Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,577,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The OP didn't sign anything or even request to renew the membership. They just charged him anyway. That is a scam.
No, the OP said s/he must have clicked on something. In any case, that is apparently what happened.

I don't know how "tricky" it is now, but I can say that I shopped at Amazon for quite a while before I signed up for Prime, and I never accidentally signed up. So it must be something that is visible. I'm no more observant than the normal person.

Amazon doesn't need to trick people to sign up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No, the OP said s/he must have clicked on something. In any case, that is apparently what happened.

I don't know how "tricky" it is now, but I can say that I shopped at Amazon for quite a while before I signed up for Prime, and I never accidentally signed up. So it must be something that is visible. I'm no more observant than the normal person.

Amazon doesn't need to trick people to sign up.
I don't remember exactly how it happened, but about six or seven years ago, I got an unwanted Amazon Prime membership. As I recall I was having to decline a "free" trial to Amazon Prime, every single time I made a purchase. After one purchase I notice a weird charge from Amazon for 1 cent on my bank card. I immediately got suspicious, and signed into my account. Sure enough it was showing me as a Prime member, which I immediately cancelled. If I had not spotted that 1 cent charge on my card, they would have scammed me out of a hundred dollars, the next month.

They do need to trick people. Everyday people are figuring out what a ripoff Amazon Prime is and cancelling their memberships. They need to be constantly tricking new people into the scam.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:55 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,011,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
They do need to trick people. Everyday people are figuring out what a ripoff Amazon Prime is and cancelling their memberships. They need to be constantly tricking new people into the scam.
LOL. What color is the sky in your world?

Amazon has over 100 million Prime members in the U.S. alone. According to their latest filing with the SEC, memberships, which are filed in the financial report as subscription revenue, grew 35% in the fourth quarter of 2018.

But I guess in your world, all that revenue growth is due to Amazon just scamming people into signing up for Prime.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Transaction date 1/24, posted 1/25. Review of orders shows that the last thing I ordered was delivered 12/30, transaction date 12/29, posted 12/30. In other words, I didn't order anything in January, yet was charged.

I guess it's a nightmare trying to contact Amazon.com. Anyone else have this issue??
I had that happen before. In my case it was a gift cert. I found their phone number, which is nearly impossible to do.... and called a couple of times before it was resolved. There was never any explanation that I was satisfied with. Be persistent, it will get those charges dismissed. I also took my payment options out of the order area....I didn't like having them online consistently.

I had a similar experience recently with my Netflix acct. I hadn't used it for about 2 months prior to Christmas.....I signed in to watch some movies.....and there were 3 new profiles….I am the only one on my acct. I did some looking and they were from overseas, a Dad and lil kids from their watch list lol....I called Netflix and they weren't even surprised.....they just walked me through changing my passwords and deleting those folks.....I told my hubby I think perhaps accts that look deserted get taken over by whomever.....I have no other explanation.

Honestly, I think any place with as many employees as some of these huge companies have....this tweaking happens....I believe it is theft, hacking whatever...But it would be impossible to prove, except by the company insiders imo

Old 02-10-2019, 07:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,954,427 times
The only problem I ever had is accidently ordering Kindle books. I hit the button to download a sample and I accidently push the "Buy" button. There is no way to disable One Click purchasing for electronic media which is extremely annoying. I contacted customer service asking about it, and the rep told me I could, but it does not allow it, probably to encourage impulse buying. So I don't feel bad at all asking for refunds with my clumsy button pushes.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The only problem I ever had is accidently ordering Kindle books. I hit the button to download a sample and I accidently push the "Buy" button. There is no way to disable One Click purchasing for electronic media which is extremely annoying. I contacted customer service asking about it, and the rep told me I could, but it does not allow it, probably to encourage impulse buying. So I don't feel bad at all asking for refunds with my clumsy button pushes.
Why not disable one click buying of it is such an issue for you?

https://www.amazon.com/cpe/manageoneclick

Old 02-10-2019, 07:42 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I had a similar experience recently with my Netflix acct. I hadn't used it for about 2 months prior to Christmas.....I signed in to watch some movies.....and there were 3 new profiles….I am the only one on my acct. I did some looking and they were from overseas, a Dad and lil kids from their watch list lol....I called Netflix and they weren't even surprised.....they just walked me through changing my passwords and deleting those folks.....I told my hubby I think perhaps accts that look deserted get taken over by whomever.....I have no other explanation.
You think Netfix gives people access to other people's accounts when not in use?

Old 02-10-2019, 08:04 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You think Netfix gives people access to other people's accounts when not in use?
I'm sure Netflix doesn't "give people access," but two times I've had a stranger's name pop up next to my own at the "Who Is Watching?" page. I figured out how to delete them and give my account a new password. Somehow people are figuring out how to hack into my Netflix and apparently watch for free. The strangers had their own entire watch list.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:08 AM

173 posts, read 111,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Transaction date 1/24, posted 1/25. Review of orders shows that the last thing I ordered was delivered 12/30, transaction date 12/29, posted 12/30. In other words, I didn't order anything in January, yet was charged.

I guess it's a nightmare trying to contact Amazon.com. Anyone else have this issue??
Are you being charged for Amazon Prime membership, one you either didn't click you want or you didn't realize you clicked you want?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:38 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Amazon is about one of the easiest companies on the planet to contact and work with. Chat, email, phone are all available, and may be available 24/7.
How exactly do you find these options? I am a prime user and when I am online with amazon there is NO place on the screen for customer service. there is no phone number no chat no nothing not even on the site map.

I had to contact them today about an issue, I had to google amazon customer service phone number and go through three different numbers someone had listed till I found one that worked.

They should have customer service in big letters right at the top of the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products