Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:32 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

The two stores I shop at the most (King Soopers - local version of Kroger, and Sprouts) both have many produce items available in individual units that you pay for by weight.

But I cook enough that I can buy, for example, a whole head of celery and use it up quickly enough - if you wrap it in foil, it last a really long time. And I cook soups frequently so it doesn't matter if it's a little bit wilted for that. Even though I cook for two (or often just one, if it's something my picky kiddo won't eat), I batch cook and freeze individual portions to take for lunches or have for a quick dinner on a night I don't want to cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 09:13 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm not normally one to be worried about germs, but the salad bars gross me out. And it does seem like for a while a few years ago there were always reports or recalls on the salad bar due to ecoli or hepatitis.

The grocery stores all sell carrots and celery by the each, so if I only need a limited amount, I'll buy those.
Me too. Carrots and celery especially have a good shelf life. I wrap my celery in aluminum foil--it prolongs the life.

I eat an entire stalk of celery every week. A bunch of carrots in two weeks.

To answer the OP--no, as like Sundaydrive--salad bars gross me out.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Veggies like celery and carrots can be frozen for later use. Buy the bunch, cut, freeze, and save the rest for later. It saves money and time.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:07 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Veggies like celery and carrots can be frozen for later use. Buy the bunch, cut, freeze, and save the rest for later. It saves money and time.
True. Every few months I make a batch of lentil spinach soup. Frozen chopped celery and carrots would work there.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:46 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I've done it for taco night on occasion. Just didn't feel like buying separate packages. It saved me some $$ too.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:53 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I never really thought about it, but should try it here & there. I only really have 1 grocery store in my immediate area in which I can get things like chopped celery, so GOOD IDEA!

Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I've done it for taco night on occasion. Just didn't feel like buying separate packages. It saved me some $$ too.
For me, sometimes saving time is more valuable than saving money. I used to love to cook when I was married and we had friends over. One thing we did fairly well together was entertain company. Barbecues, dinner, etc.

Then when I was divorced and raising my daughter, she would have friends over all the time and I made things for them. Every year I made a big pot of chili and we had the whole marching band over. The kids loved my chili.

Now that it's been years of just me and cats, now down to one cat, I really can't be bothered to expend much effort cooking. I take no pleasure in it anymore, and would rather be out of the kitchen as much as possible.

I'm not going to waste the precious minutes of my life chopping carrots or celery to save fifty cents now and again.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
I do the same thing.

Mainly the celery as the OP stated, but also chopped onion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products