Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 02:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,316,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
When I stay in Tucson there is a Walmart Neighborhood store nearby. They just changed the checkouts to be almost all self check out. There are over 10 lanes self checkout with one actual cashier. Checkout goes much faster, I like it. That is the future as well as home delivery which you can do with Fry's and I believe Walmart also.

People complained when gas stations went self service, but as with everything we will adapt. People speak with their wallet. I certainly will not pay more just to have someone ring up my items.

A tip. Select your frozen food last, keep it together in the cart or bring a frozen foods back for them. Then they won't melt. Being in Arizona you need to use the frozen bags just to get frozen things home.
Same with our nearest Walmart, but we don’t get much there so are happy to save time and self check. Costco
Has the most efficient checkers and get most of our food and other items there. I hate going to a checkout at Safeway, because they tend to take their time and BS with the customers and delay handling our basket. Fortunately they have 8 self checks, and we don’t get much there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 05:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Love self checkout!

Old 07-04-2019, 06:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,039,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
The only thing we ever agree on when this topic of self-check registers is brought up is that nothing the shops do will please every customer. For every person who hates self-check, another loves it. For every customer in a hurry to get out, there's another who likes lingering and socializing. Since the shop owners will never please every customer, the best they can hope for is to provide as many options as possible, allowing as many people as possible to find the option that upsets them the least.
And that is exactly how a majority of stores are. I've never seen a store that was exclusively self check out. For those who think shopping is too much work, their is still a cashier to check them out.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:40 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,701,938 times
Years ago, when these self checkouts first hit the market, I was totally against them. I even voiced my opinion to a store manager because I felt it was replacing a human worker and taking their job away.

However, I have come to change my mind completely. I now love them and hardly ever go to a regular line any longer. It is faster, and I really like running my own stuff through. I've actually gotten pretty good at it .

Old 07-04-2019, 10:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
I find this issue as one of two routes: one is about people whom defend workers and the other is "Get off my lawn" complaints. OP, you seem to be in the latter. I find self-checkout and mobile use is easier and less prone to errors. Why, well you scan it or select it. If you accidentally scan something twice (for me this maybe happens once or twice a year) you need help to fix it, just as alcohol or rated R movies. In fast food, if the place has it, this is actually my prefered option for special orders. Removes the issue of cashiers screwing up before the crew reads the ticket. I only use real people if I am buying water (it is a pain in Fry's in particular to lift to scan and leave in the bagging area) alcohol or rated-R movies.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 PM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I find this issue as one of two routes: one is about people whom defend workers and the other is "Get off my lawn" complaints. OP, you seem to be in the latter. I find self-checkout and mobile use is easier and less prone to errors. Why, well you scan it or select it. If you accidentally scan something twice (for me this maybe happens once or twice a year) you need help to fix it, just as alcohol or rated R movies. In fast food, if the place has it, this is actually my prefered option for special orders. Removes the issue of cashiers screwing up before the crew reads the ticket. I only use real people if I am buying water (it is a pain in Fry's in particular to lift to scan and leave in the bagging area) alcohol or rated-R movies.
The new scanners are awesome. Leave the heavy stuff in the cart.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I normally shop at Fry's earlier in the night when there's clerks available, but tonite I got there later and the last clerk put the Closed sign out. I had a shopping cart packed and my roommate was with, with an additional cart.
'
I timed it! 45 minutes to get through the torture, or nightmare of Self-Checkout. Meanwhile, the ice cream melts. Any liquor and the clerk must OK the purchase. I pushed the wrong button for the onions, organic instead of regular. $6.99 a pound?????

I told the clerk, the next time I come here and there's no clerk on duty I'm going to park the cart in the aisle and walk right out the front door.

I can afford to do that, as I live in a dream location where within a mile of my house is not only Fry's, there's Albertson's, Basha's, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Costco, a Wal Mart neighborhood store and a Target, for groceries.

I'm sure if more people protested like this, they'd get more clerks attending to you, and leave the self-checkout for those with few or fewer items. And the CEO's of these companies might have to suffer a little by shaving a half million off their multi-million dollar salaries.
Haven't read any other replies, but I'm with you all the way. I don't shop anywhere it's a hassle, and I'm lucky to have that option. I've used the survey option on receipts before, too, so they know my opinion - even if they don't listen. In the meantime, they have lost my business and I've told them why.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:41 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,601,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
We often shop at Winco in western Oregon. I don't usually use self check-out but haven't had a problems when using it. I prefer real people doing the check-out. We still have to bag the groceries at the end of the conveyor belt, but I'm pretty good at it and don't squish too many things.

I would never use self-checkout at that store or any other. I read of a Walmart customer who was accosted in the parking lot and charged with theft, because the scanner did not register one item and the customer wasn't aware of it. Someone in the store must have been watching that checkline very carefully and just hoping to catch someone who had that happen.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I would never use self-checkout at that store or any other. I read of a Walmart customer who was accosted in the parking lot and charged with theft, because the scanner did not register one item and the customer wasn't aware of it. Someone in the store must have been watching that checkline very carefully and just hoping to catch someone who had that happen.
It's not that complicated. Swipe the item, pause to see if the price scans in.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 AM

30,190 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not that complicated. Swipe the item, pause to see if the price scans in.
I agree. The stores are watching for people cheating at the self checkout because there are people that do that. Sure every once in a blue moon there will be a story of an innocent person getting accused of something they did not do.

A while back I was at a self checkout terminal and the woman next to me was about to leave with a full cart of stuff. A clerk comes up to her and says you did not pay. Apparently she swiped her credit card but it declined and she decided just to quickly leave and hope the store was not watching closely. They were. Thing is there are cameras and other security people watching from somewhere else. And I am glad they are. I don't want to pay higher prices because some people are stealing things.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 07-05-2019 at 07:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products