Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 12:06 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,193 times

Advertisements

I used to really like Lord & Taylor; the stores themselves were beautiful, and the clothes were beautiful and remarkably inexpensive, like Brooks Brothers at Target prices.

Lord & Taylor is still around--as a website. It closed all of its physical stores.

I really liked its Black Brown 1826 store brand, so I went to lordandtaylor.com recently. I couldn't find any Black Brown 1826 items.

The selection online looks really nice; however, many of the brands are new. It's a great selection, but it's not the Lord & Taylor that I knew. So I went to a Nordstrom store.

Does anyone shop at the stores that are now online-only, but used to have physical stores? Pier 1, Lord & Taylor and plenty of others are this way. If so, why do you--is it the familiarity of a favorite store?

L&T, you were my favorite, but I'm hesitant to try a brand that I don't know for online clothes shopping.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2021, 12:08 PM

765 posts, read 622,356 times
If I had to, I would, but I prefer to buy things in person, especially clothes.

Old 07-12-2021, 12:38 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
NO, not as a general rule. Sizes and quality are all over the board (even w/i the same brand). I need to SEE clothing, feel it, etc. - I'm pretty good about figuring out if it fits by holding it up (but I'm a small size: kids, petite tops, etc.) - Home decor is a different ballgame and I will sometimes buy but I still prefer to see it, feel it, etc. in person.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:07 PM

8,074 posts, read 4,749,870 times
I sometimes wonder if some other company simply buys the domain name from failed companies in order to trade on the name--in other words, sell their own merchandise under the name of that failed (but still recognized) name. If the failed company can sell off their domain, they might also be able to sell off their trademarks to others once all their own merchandise has been sold or auctioned off.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
I am not aware of any stores that shut down and kept selling from a website, and never heard of any mentioned in the OP.

Old 07-12-2021, 04:04 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I think Sears still has a website? Doesn't matter to me - I want to physically see a product.

Old 07-12-2021, 08:19 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
I know New York & Co. closed all their stores, but the last time I ordered online from them was when their stores were open, so if I order again, that's a retailer that's online ONLY now.

SteinMart & The Limited - Others who closed all their physical stores where I'd shop occasionally & seem to still have online ordering, which I've never online ordered from them before.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:37 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
For some of them, the online revamp pays off while others failed.

I'm wondering how Stein Mart will do without the retail stores as half the shopping experience was the hunt for discounted items or finding that item that said 'take me' (and it fit) that you never would have considered until you touched it. Now the online experience is the same as buying socks. There's no interaction with the item so you really have no idea if that particular label is good or bad, if it fits small or large, and if the material really is comfortable. So I tend to buy known items online and sometimes it comes down to who has the best price.

Old 07-12-2021, 10:40 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
No. I buy clothes, purses, and shoes in regular stores. Plenty of options. I like to see, feel and try them.
I don't want the hassle of ordering and returning, especially after learning that many stores, especially Amazon, trash most of their returns.
Many stores don't even tell you the truth about the fabrics/materials. I noticed so many times that "wool" or "cotton" fabrics had only a small % of it, or "leather" was in fact some imitation or bonded leather. No, thank you! My money don't grow on trees. I try to spend it wisely.

Last edited by elnina; 07-12-2021 at 10:50 PM..

Old 07-13-2021, 11:57 AM

45 posts, read 27,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
I used to really like Lord & Taylor; the stores themselves were beautiful, and the clothes were beautiful and remarkably inexpensive, like Brooks Brothers at Target prices.
L&D never had Target prices. That place is expensive!! Target prices my bum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products