Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 09:37 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times

Advertisements

Y'all need to quantify your egg prices, with the egg sizes you bought.

The CostCo eggs, are only "large."

Not Extra Large, or Jumbo. Those bigger eggs command a premium.

Quail eggs are a different bird....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 06:44 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I used to sometimes eat 3-dozen eggs a week.

Currently down to 1 to 1.5 dozen a week, the prices are causing me to shift to other
foods to control costs, sheesh!

Old 12-23-2022, 08:09 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I used to sometimes eat 3-dozen eggs a week.

Currently down to 1 to 1.5 dozen a week, the prices are causing me to shift to other
foods to control costs, sheesh!
Five eggs every day is a lot of eggs, but I know young athletes who eat that many. That's 30 grams of protein, which at our current price of $3.00/dozen, amounts to $1.25/day.

Even if eggs are $6.00/dozen, you are paying only $2.50 for five eggs.

It would hard to obtain the same 30 grams of protein in any cheaper or healthier way.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:27 AM

982 posts, read 607,711 times
We are on the Gulf in Florida and just bought 3 doz. for $6.59. One dozen goes for 3.23 or so and there seems to be no limit on them.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:05 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Y'all need to quantify your egg prices, with the egg sizes you bought.

The CostCo eggs, are only "large."

Not Extra Large, or Jumbo. Those bigger eggs command a premium.

Quail eggs are a different bird....
More importantly. how they were produced. If in conditions where the hens can barely move around and never see the light of day eating the cheapest feed possible, probably the grand amount of $3.99 a dozen some are pitching fits about. If in better indoor conditions eating better feed (semi-free range) around $5.99 a dozen. If given access to an outdoor pen area but still fed better feed inside (free-range) around $7.99 a dozen. If pasture-raised (fed outdoors in rotating pasture areas with diet augmented by bugs/grubs) with indoor nesting/sleep up to $9.99 a dozen, especially if certified organic. The big difference? The yolk and nutrients, not to mention quality of life of said chickens. As with any product that produces a lower yield with more expensive production costs, it costs more at the store. There are no entitlements just because you feel it costs too much with arbitrary "fair prices".

Old 12-23-2022, 10:53 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,720,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not only are eggs three times the price but at the market today there was a big sign on the eggs saying "limit one". Meaning one carton, not one egg.

There was also a nice sign blaming the bird flu for the egg shortage.

There won't be any egg hoarding from me, not at three dollars a dozen. I'll just do without. I hope this bird flu thing is not going to last long.

On the bright side, it is Christmas and not Easter. Its going to get bad if there aren't enough eggs at Easter.
$3 for a dozen eggs? that is a steal these days the going rate in most stores here is $5.50 plus.

At Safeway last week 18 eggs for $9.99!

Last edited by My2cents55; 12-23-2022 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-23-2022, 11:01 AM

14,461 posts, read 12,090,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
What happened to all those new backyard chicken farmers who rushed out to be “self-sufficient” in the first year of COVID?

Surely, not every one of those new feathered badges of country-ness succumbed to wandering dogs or avian flu. Did people realize how much work it was to produce eggs for one family instead of just adding a carton to the shopping cart?

Everything has a cost. Sometimes it includes more labor than dollars. Sometimes the opposite. We’re still free to make that choice.
They probably have eggs. We do. Home chickens don't get eggs into stores.

Avian flu was a real thing this year, and if one bird got it, they killed every chicken on the whole farm. It was crazy and sad. People were covering their coops and keeping them inside to keep migrating birds from pooping on them when they went over.

It probably had a lot of severe local effects where outbreaks happened and it will take awhile to catch up and replace whole poultry operations.

Old 12-23-2022, 11:10 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I bought 10 local-raised large eggs at an open market stand in downtown Chemnitz for 3 Euro (about same as $3 USD) or 30 cents each. Grocery store prices are not much different. The price has been the same since I returned here last May. They sell eggs here as either a half-dozen or 10 pack, not by the dozen. These are from free-range chickens with no antibiotics or hormones. The yolks are dark yellow and the eggs have a real good flavor. I normally eat one hard boiled egg in the morning with my stir pan mix of brussels sprouts, butternut squash, onion, bell pepper, quinoa, lentils or pinto beans with of course garlic and lots of spices.

Old 12-23-2022, 12:45 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,538,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I wish eggs were only $3 a dozen. They're closer to $5 here.
Same here. The lady I buy my tomatoes from in the summer also has chickens/eggs. Last spring she raised her prices from $3.50 to $4 a dozen due to the price of feed. She’s a bargain now and there IS a big difference between fresh eggs and grocery store eggs.

Old 12-23-2022, 01:25 PM

13,623 posts, read 10,025,945 times
UK too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products