Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 04:17 PM

19,505 posts, read 9,532,107 times

Advertisements

Last trip to the stores, I got a carton for $4.something. $4.30? Or there abouts. They had other brands that also varied in price $3.97 - $7.00.

I don’t recall empty shelves but now, who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 06:56 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Getting off topic, I know, but there has been at least one study comparing the nutritional differences between pasture-raised hens and cage-raised hens.

“Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That’s the conclusion we have reached following completion of the 2007 Mother Earth News egg testing project. Our testing has found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

1/3 less cholesterol
1/4 less saturated fat
2/3 more vitamin A
2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
3 times more vitamin E
7 times more beta carotene

Nutritional Value Of A Free Range Egg VS. Caged Hen Eggs…

So the issue is not that the two types of eggs taste the same, but that there are large differences in nutritional value.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:58 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
A few years back, I was visiting said friends at their ranch and their then-toddler daughter excitedly pointed at the ground and yelled, "Look! A cute little frog!" And sure enough, there was a small frog, roughly the size of my thumbnail, on the ground.

One of the chickens wandered over to us, saw the little frog....and ate it.

You have never seen a toddler so incensed. "Bad chicken! You ate cute little frog!" OMG, that kid was so mad!

For months afterwards, whenever I bought eggs from them, I'd always joke, "So which ones come from the frog eater?"
C-D wouldn't let me rep you again. Anyway, nice story about the frog. Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-24-2022, 07:00 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,132,681 times
All the store around here have eggs. It's the prices that are high, ranging from 3.79 (1dozen large), to 4.99. I remember when we could get a dozen for 99 cents. (not recently, but I remember when!)

Old 12-25-2022, 02:31 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Getting off topic, I know, but there has been at least one study comparing the nutritional differences between pasture-raised hens and cage-raised hens.

“Most of the eggs currently sold in supermarkets are nutritionally inferior to eggs produced by hens raised on pasture. That’s the conclusion we have reached following completion of the 2007 Mother Earth News egg testing project. Our testing has found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:

1/3 less cholesterol
1/4 less saturated fat
2/3 more vitamin A
2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
3 times more vitamin E
7 times more beta carotene

Nutritional Value Of A Free Range Egg VS. Caged Hen Eggs…

So the issue is not that the two types of eggs taste the same, but that there are large differences in nutritional value.
We love reading Mother Earth News, for over 30 years. And yes, I see the findings you have posted above anytime I see the yolk of the egg/the actual chicken-that-would-be.

I want that egg, not that pale yellow thing they are trying to push off on us as of now.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:53 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
And yes, I see the findings you have posted above anytime I see the yolk of the egg/the actual chicken-that-would-be.
What do you mean by this? Do you buy fertile eggs? (I know they are available, but not that common).

Fun story: My friends had a couple of hens, and wanted more, but roosters are verboten around here. So they went to Trader Joe's early in the morning as they were unpacking for the day, convinced someone to sell them two fertile eggs before they were put into the refrigerator, took them home, and put them under a broody hen. Two chicks successful hatched, but alas, they were both males.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:43 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Good morning Saibot. Happy Holidays!
No, they are not fertilized. That would be too creepy I guess. But the eggs we buy now are organic, free-range and the yolks are almost orange, like they should be.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:00 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Good morning Saibot. Happy Holidays!
No, they are not fertilized. That would be too creepy I guess. But the eggs we buy now are organic, free-range and the yolks are almost orange, like they should be.
Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas to you, too!

I was confused by the phrase "chicken-that-would-be," because of course, there is no such being in a regular supermarket egg. They are infertile.

I will just reiterate that the color of an egg's yolk does not, in itself, indicate anything either about the lifestyle of the hen or the nutritional value of the egg. As stated, simply feeding a few marigold petals to hens will result in bright orange yolks. And note that Mother Earth qualifies its statements with "may contain," not "will contain." Those yolks may or may not be more nutritious than others.

This is from the website of an organic farm.

Quote:
Is the yolks’ phenomenal nutritional content responsible for the color?
No, it’s not. Unfortunately, this is a big misconception among egg-lovers.

The color of the yolk has very little to do with its nutritional content. Actually, yolk color depends almost entirely on pigments in the food chickens eat. If a hen eats plenty of yellow-orange pigments called xanthophylls, those pigments will make a darker orange egg yolk.

Because most consumers in the United States prefer gold or lemon-colored yolks, yellow-orange enhancements may be added to light-colored feeds to darken the yolk’s color.
https://www.organicvalley.coop/blog/...lk-color-mean/

Old 12-25-2022, 10:41 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
So, it's kinda like adding "artificial coloring" to deli sliced roast beef?

or beef from New Zealand (or Venezuela) to make the ground beef "redder?"

Got it.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:48 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
I am wondering why people refuse to pay $3 for a dozen eggs. It's still the cheapest item on a grocery list. I'd rather go without McDonald's or a Blizzard shake than not have eggs in my fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products