Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 08:49 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times

Advertisements

Local grocery store had the 5 dozen box of eggs for $27.99....Uh, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 08:53 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Something I was told, many years ago......

Immigrants from Countries to the South of the US, won't eat the commercially produced eggs here. Turns out, they think there's something wrong with them. (They could be right.) They don't like the color of the yolks. "Too pale" in comparison to the bright yellow yolks that they're used to. They said that the birds would forage wild marigolds in their home country. It is the bright yellow flower color that transfers to bright yolks, they said. Probably hogwash, but I don't know, either.

So, if you want vivid yellow yolks, plant marigolds in your field where your chickens forage. This ain't no yolk, either.
My sister had chickens for a long time, then one night a bear got them. She bought eggs from the store, and she said when her S.O. cracked one open, he looked skeeved for a minute and thought something was wrong with it because the yolk was the wrong color.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:06 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Something I was told, many years ago......

Immigrants from Countries to the South of the US, won't eat the commercially produced eggs here. Turns out, they think there's something wrong with them. (They could be right.) They don't like the color of the yolks. "Too pale" in comparison to the bright yellow yolks that they're used to. They said that the birds would forage wild marigolds in their home country. It is the bright yellow flower color that transfers to bright yolks, they said. Probably hogwash, but I don't know, either.

So, if you want vivid yellow yolks, plant marigolds in your field where your chickens forage. This ain't no yolk, either.
This is true. Some farmers give chickens marigold flowers to make the yolks darker, because that's what people want to see. But a bright orange yolk does not necessarily mean the egg tastes different or has more nutrients.

https://www.rspcaassured.org.uk/news...-darker-yolks/

People are very swayed by the appearance of food. Along with orange egg yolks, they want nice, straight carrots and shiny apples. So you can save a lot of money by buying crooked carrots and unpolished apples at less pricy markets. They all taste the same.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:09 AM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not only are eggs three times the price but at the market today there was a big sign on the eggs saying "limit one". Meaning one carton, not one egg.

There was also a nice sign blaming the bird flu for the egg shortage.

There won't be any egg hoarding from me, not at three dollars a dozen. I'll just do without. I hope this bird flu thing is not going to last long.

On the bright side, it is Christmas and not Easter. Its going to get bad if there aren't enough eggs at Easter.

I knew this was coming months ago when they first tried to pass bird flu as the next deadly virus catastrophe. It was soon after that when the price eggs skyrocketed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I wish eggs were only $3 a dozen. They're closer to $5 here.
My brand went up to $6 a carton and now I can't even get them in the grocery store they are all gone.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:17 AM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times
I noticed a difference in color with my eggs too. I buy the one brand that doesn't make me sick which is organic eggs. Not the company organics.

I buy the brown organic eggs from a family run company with their picture on it. One day there was a difference I never saw before. One yolk was a palish yellow and the egg next to it had a dark orange color. They both taste close to the same. But I know the darker orange is from the better quality feed.

I know this from family that has their own chickens and eggs on their property. Their eggs taste a whole lot better.

Store eggs are not at all like theirs. But even now the family run companies I suspect are having trouble getting good quality grain.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:27 AM

4,028 posts, read 2,712,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Chooks are omnivores and will eat just about anything. I keep commercial feed available to the birds so they can take what they want, but they will eat mealworms, earthworms, corn, carrot slices, squash, Arugula, and anything else I throw in before the commercial feed.

Someone gave me dry, stale bread -about which I was sceptical- and the birds tore through that within 2 hours. And then my neighbor had a rib cage segment from a deer and that venison only lasted a day-and-a-half.
A few years back, I was visiting said friends at their ranch and their then-toddler daughter excitedly pointed at the ground and yelled, "Look! A cute little frog!" And sure enough, there was a small frog, roughly the size of my thumbnail, on the ground.

One of the chickens wandered over to us, saw the little frog....and ate it.

You have never seen a toddler so incensed. "Bad chicken! You ate cute little frog!" OMG, that kid was so mad!

For months afterwards, whenever I bought eggs from them, I'd always joke, "So which ones come from the frog eater?"

Old 12-24-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The egg shortage must be local to the OP as I haven't seen any egg shortages (although the price of eggs in general has gone up like everything else).
Some of my neighbors have been complaining that they can't find eggs in the stores.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:07 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,873,497 times
Grabbed our usual amount plus 1 carton last night at Sams. Same price as its been for several weeks now.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:06 PM

Well, to continue on with this--several of my other friends know that I have a friend who sells eggs, and are asking how much she sells them for. They either can't find eggs, or the prices are high, and they're considering $5/dozen a bargain at the moment. So I gave rancher friend a heads up than on the next order run, I'll be buying more than I usually do from her.

Old 12-24-2022, 03:54 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Just returned from WinCo Foods.

5 dozen eggs: $21.93

CostCo

5 dozen eggs: $13.29

That is all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products