Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

The best thing is to buy a BOOK and save yourself a headache.

It is cheaper for me to throw 1 or 2 extra stamps on the oversized envelope then to stand in a line for 20 mins to save .020 cents or whatever. Time is more important for me then what extra pennies I put on the envelope or pkg.

People spend more money for a burger and coke or a drink at 7/11...whats the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:12 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
Shouldn't this thread be titled: "I didn't want to wait in line to buy stamps"?

Old 02-28-2009, 07:51 AM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Shouldn't this thread be titled: "I didn't want to wait in line to buy stamps"?

In fact, I have noticed PO's have been getting rid of stamp machines the last couple years. My guess is that the machines weren't cost effective.

You can order stamps on-line at
Welcome to The Postal Store

there is a flat $1 service charge regardless of the amount ordered and you get them in the mail in a couple days. Your local PO also gets the credit for the sell, which is important if, like me, you live in an area with a smaller facility that might be on the chopping block.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Geeze. I never could understand not having stamps on hand. They don't rot or smell, they don't take up space, and they don't lose value.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I have several stores that sale stamps near me at their courtesy booths. Might want to check.I know that some places have a hard time keeping machines that will work because of basically people beating on them. Some areas they are removing them for just this reason plus being broken into ;I am told.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Do what I ended up doing........... stopped into one of those mailbox places. They had 4 stamps I could buy. WOW! They actually WANT business.

I sooooo wish we could pull out the yellow pages and select a different business to deliver our mail for us.
Amen to that you and me both . I think the post office has gotten far too comfortable in their jobs and they have gotten lazy over the years .

Old 03-01-2009, 07:13 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I love reading people whine and complain about the USPS when they have NO CLUE how things really operate. I work for the USPS and just LOVE when a person buys 3 or 4 stamps at a time and comes back two days later and buys another 3 or 4 stamps. Why the hell not buy a book of 10 or book of 20 and be done with it instead of complaining? God-forbid the customers do something that makes sense.

And as for going to Mail Boxes Etc or something like that for your stamps or shipping, guess who still gets the money for postage and stamps? The USPS. And the reports of the "USPS going broke" are far from accurate. The USPS will ALWAYS be in business and ALWAYS be the one's who will deliver your mail. If you can remember, that was challenged at one time and the USPS won, as expected seeing as they are a federal government operation. Oh, and before you start complaining about them going to 5-day a week delivery, they have been talking about that for 35 years. It's not going to happen.

And as far as service, I hustle everyday to deliver mail to my customers. I make sure I do the job right for an UNGRATEFUL public. A public that I wish for ONE day could work with us and see what we actually have to do. The facts will always remain the same. In one day the USPS delivers more packages than UPS does in a week. And we are the ONLY one's who will deliver a letter from New York to LA for less than 50 cents! You find another company that will do that. Won't happen.

I love my job, even though I have to deliver to a world full of ingrates.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:25 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I love reading people whine and complain about the USPS when they have NO CLUE how things really operate. I work for the USPS and just LOVE when a person buys 3 or 4 stamps at a time and comes back two days later and buys another 3 or 4 stamps. Why the hell not buy a book of 10 or book of 20 and be done with it instead of complaining? God-forbid the customers do something that makes sense.

And as for going to Mail Boxes Etc or something like that for your stamps or shipping, guess who still gets the money for postage and stamps? The USPS. And the reports of the "USPS going broke" are far from accurate. The USPS will ALWAYS be in business and ALWAYS be the one's who will deliver your mail. If you can remember, that was challenged at one time and the USPS won, as expected seeing as they are a federal government operation. Oh, and before you start complaining about them going to 5-day a week delivery, they have been talking about that for 35 years. It's not going to happen.

And as far as service, I hustle everyday to deliver mail to my customers. I make sure I do the job right for an UNGRATEFUL public. A public that I wish for ONE day could work with us and see what we actually have to do. The facts will always remain the same. In one day the USPS delivers more packages than UPS does in a week. And we are the ONLY one's who will deliver a letter from New York to LA for less than 50 cents! You find another company that will do that. Won't happen.

I love my job, even though I have to deliver to a world full of ingrates.
For less than 50 cents I beg to differ with you . I send my sister letters who lives in boston and I fold over the paper so it will fit in the envelope and then the letter comes back marked that it cant go in the machine , excuse me then that .42 becomes .65 cents . so what you are stating is untrue and I have such a bone to pick with the post office why my letters to hawaii to my brother are always classified as .94 cents !!! so tell me why that makes any sense huh ? I am sorry we seem like an ungratefull bunch but really you all should try to make people understand why postage is going up every three months .

Old 03-01-2009, 09:44 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
For less than 50 cents I beg to differ with you . I send my sister letters who lives in boston and I fold over the paper so it will fit in the envelope and then the letter comes back marked that it cant go in the machine , excuse me then that .42 becomes .65 cents . so what you are stating is untrue and I have such a bone to pick with the post office why my letters to hawaii to my brother are always classified as .94 cents !!! so tell me why that makes any sense huh ? I am sorry we seem like an ungratefull bunch but really you all should try to make people understand why postage is going up every three months .

How many pages are in your "letters"? I implore you to send an envelope to Hawaii via FedEx or UPS for the 94 cents you state. Good luck with that. As far as the postage going up, it is NOT every three months, so get your facts right. As usual, the public makes up what they want. I also implore you look up the UPS price increases for the past year or two. I am betting that it is alot more than a penny or two. And why does the price go up? Gee, no one seems to mind that a can of corn now costs around $1, when it was around 50 cents four years ago. Everything is skyrocketing and what do people whine about? A couple of PENNIES!!! I guess you don't realize the mass logistics it takes to run the USPS? Here is a good idea for revenue for the USPS. How about we charge you a fee of 5 cents per piece of mail that you receive at home in your mailbox. That way, we can charge you for all those junk catalogs and ad's you crurently receive FOR FREE!!! Like I said...ingrates.

Oh, and be sure and call and complain on your mailcarrier as often as you can. It's always a good idea to upset the people who handle your mail everyday. BTW, we have 6 unions in the USPS. The ONLY way we get fired is for stealing mail or stamps or money orders. Your complaints go nowhere.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Guess there is something to living rural we never had any postage machines at our PO just Carl. Park walk in might have to wait for one person ahead of me but usually know them so we shoot the breeze.

If I can't make into town I just leave my money in an envelope in my mailbox my carrier leaves me stamps.

Thanks for your thread I just found another thing to be grateful for living in the stress free country.

I do have to say the PO could cut costs just by down sizing some of the stamps. They have gotten way over board on size IMHO. Waste of ink, paper and trees. I don't care for the sheets of stamps instead of the books either seems that is more the norm now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products