Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Yes, it entitles you to the weekly discounts, but it also tracks you. It is a marketing device to send you circulars/coupons and may put you in a telemarketing pool. I do use them, but fill out a wrong address and put my cell #.

Yes but if you pay with a debit or credit card, or check they just track you using that....the only way to avoid it is to only pay cash and that's a pain too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 11:43 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes but if you pay with a debit or credit card, or check they just track you using that....the only way to avoid it is to only pay cash and that's a pain too.
I hate to break it to you, but as I retail worker, I can tell you I have knowledge that every bill and coin is passed through a state of the art fingerprint detector and any prints found are scrutinized against a national (soon to be international once Canada gets in on it in the fall) database. all we have to do is get your mug on the security camera and a partial print and you're in the system. best bet is to always wear latex gloves when shopping and/or wipe down all currency w/ bleach before giving it to a cashier.

whether you know it or not, we are all watching you and tracking your every move. be very suspicious...

Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
I got a card at CVS the other day. They handed me the card, didn't ask for ANY of my information. Win.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:07 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,716,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Usually the only items I ever buy at CVS are Condoms and soda. I havent recieved any coupons in the mail for either one. I wish I would though. I now buy my Condoms and Soda at Target because its cheaper.
I have a choice between Wal-Mart and CVS for closest store. I usually don't want to go to Wal-Mart for my HBA (health and beauty items--industry jargon). Cold pills, shaving cream, razors. That kind of thing. Maybe grab a single serving of soda while I'm there.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,772,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I hate to break it to you, but as I retail worker, I can tell you I have knowledge that every bill and coin is passed through a state of the art fingerprint detector and any prints found are scrutinized against a national (soon to be international once Canada gets in on it in the fall) database. all we have to do is get your mug on the security camera and a partial print and you're in the system. best bet is to always wear latex gloves when shopping and/or wipe down all currency w/ bleach before giving it to a cashier.

whether you know it or not, we are all watching you and tracking your every move. be very suspicious...
I solved this problem in a unique way.

I work part-time at a funeral home.

When I realized that I was being tracked so closely by my fingerprints I decided to take action! I carefully cut off and dried the ends of the fingers of a deceased man that was my approximate age when he died. I have fashioned them into a shape similar to those rubber thimbles you see for handling paper. I wear them at all times (except when I sleep). I wipe down all surfaces I touch when I'm not wearing them. It's amazing how quickly I got used to having them on. I hardly notice them at all.

Now when I go shopping, handle any money, touch any surface, no one knows it's me.

Clever, huh?

I can get more finger ends. Anyone?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,505,174 times
Quote:
best bet is to always wear latex gloves when shopping and/or wipe down all currency w/ bleach before giving it to a cashier.

Quote:
when i realized that i was being tracked so closely by my fingerprints i decided to take action! I carefully cut off and dried the ends of the fingers of a deceased man that was my approximate age when he died. I have fashioned them into a shape similar to those rubber thimbles you see for handling paper. I wear them at all times (except when i sleep). I wipe down all surfaces i touch when i'm not wearing them. It's amazing how quickly i got used to having them on. I hardly notice them at all.

Now when i go shopping, handle any money, touch any surface, no one knows it's me.
lol!

Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,671,522 times
The cards first reason was to speed up the shopping line. You give the store your shopping information and they check to make sure about your checking account once and after that you just present your card. I even have some from Colorado where we visited a couple of years ago.

I have one from a store where I have never sent our information in to the store headquarters, but it still gets us a discount. I thought that was interesting. I think the check card will eventually replace these cards. I can see that it would be a turn-off to shopping, because of the clutter in the pocketbook and having to pay more if you don't have one.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:13 PM

515 posts, read 1,331,896 times
Does it really matter if the government/store people know what food you're buying? It's just food.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 AM

515 posts, read 1,181,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry251 View Post
Does it really matter if the government/store people know what food you're buying? It's just food.
Is it just food? Or is it junk food that your health insurance company will get a record of you buying for the last 10 years and decide to up your premiums to the point where you can't afford coverage any more?

That doesn't happen today, but it sure might the way things are going. Today you think your privacy is worth nothing so you might as well give it away for a discount (a discount from a price that was already jacked up to begin with). But tomorrow circumstances might change. For you it will be too late because once you give away your privacy, you can never get it back. Once that information is out of your control, it stays out of your control for as long as anyone else wants it to.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:33 AM

5,872 posts, read 11,955,376 times
Frankly, I think the government has way too much to worry about besides how much toilet paper or 6 packs of beer I buy. Yeah, it's a bit of a hassle, but the discounts are worth it! The ones I have now are keychain sized so I don't have to stuff them in my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products