Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 04:53 AM

261 posts, read 943,974 times

Advertisements

I received in the last 5 days 5 different calls from both GC Services and Wells Fargo Auto Finance. I have done no business with either. They also have asked for the name of two different people, unknown to me in any way. When returning their calls and asking that they remove my number from their system, the first operator(Lance) said my number was not in their system. He said without it being in the system he would not be able to remove it. I then received another call, within minutes, they asked for a Nora Comacho(?), I said they had a wrong number, the operator asked me my name, I said it was none of his business, he then asked how long I had had the number, I responded with again that he had a wrong number and to please remove me from their system. He hung up. Then 3-4 minutes later I get another call asking for a Mira(?), I say there is no person of this name and that she must have a wrong number, I say please remove my number from the system, and asked her name, she responded if it is a wrong number her name is not important and hung up.

I called back the 866 number and one of their numbers on my caller ID to request that they remove my number, I have had this number for 7 years, the first operator asked my name which I stated I would prefer to to give, but that I was asking my number be removed, she (Renee) said without my name she would not be able to remove it, I said balogne! I told her I did not know who they were trying to reach and that I did not know a Mira, she said well that is the name on the account, I said well that name has no association with my number. She then stated again without my name she would not be able to remove my number, I said may I speak to a supervisor. She then said that the number had been removed the day before. I asked how is that when I had just received 2 calls back to back for different names less than 15 minutes earlier. She said there were no notes on any calls having been made today. I then asked for a supervisor again and she said she had removed my number, I insisted on the supervisor. A "supervisor" came on the line (Chad) and I began to request assurance that my number had been removed and before I could finish the first sentence the "supervisor" said fine and hung up on me. I am not interested in chasing idiots around in the dark, but I am wondering if this is not a scam of some sorts. Anyone have experience to shed light on these guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM

414 posts, read 1,862,575 times
I get calls from debt collectors all the time for other people. I don't even bother calling back anymore because it's never worth the hassle. I just let the answering machine pick everthing up if i don't recognize the number.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:03 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Qwerty, I've had similar encounters with other companies calling me. I call them back to ask them to remove my number and they want my name and I see no reason to suppy that. I too have asked to speak with supervisors, and been given the run around. I've had my phone number for 10 years.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
I used to be nice and sweet on the phone with 'debt collectors'. A while back I watched a documentary called Maxed Out and I will NEVER AGAIN be nice with those people. Those companies are ruthless and don't deserve a minute of my time, especially if I'm not the person they want. They have been known to find neighbors phone numbers, relatives, teachers etc etc to try and get info on the 'debtor'. It's terrible.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:37 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I used to be nice and sweet on the phone with 'debt collectors'. A while back I watched a documentary called Maxed Out and I will NEVER AGAIN be nice with those people. Those companies are ruthless and don't deserve a minute of my time, especially if I'm not the person they want. They have been known to find neighbors phone numbers, relatives, teachers etc etc to try and get info on the 'debtor'. It's terrible.
This too has happened to me. Some company called and asked me to deliver a message to a neighbor I didn't even know.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,917 times
I just got a call from GC Services regarding my car payment. I made a partial payment on my due date of July 6th, 2010. GC Services called me and the woman was a rude *****. So I cussed her out and she decided to note my account as REFUSAL of PAYMENT. I called WFAF collections department and spoke to a supervisor and guess what she told me....? "As of yesterday, they will no longer be using GC Services, they will be handling there PAST DUE PAYMENTS themselves. Glad to hear this, they should have never passed on Customer Account information to an outside agency.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Wow, some of you actually waste a good amount of effort on these idiots. If I don't know the number I don't answer the phone. I then google the number to see who it belongs to and more often than not it get's added to my blacklist on my VOIP service website and I never hear from them again, if they call again they get a recording that says my number is out of service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products