Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 05:18 PM

92 posts, read 218,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpointyboots View Post
Why did you feel "unsafe" in Bloomington with a flat tire?

If find the level of disconnect in Sioux Falls kind of amusing. The people that are lifers or long time residents like to claim all the children are above average and everything here is peachy while ignoring some pretty bad systemic problems going on. Of course the local TV stations don't help. Any time some fluff magazine puts out a meaningless metric about what cities to "xyz" the best they are cheerleading that. If Sioux Falls has anything it has an epic level of denial. :-)
The same way I guess I would feel unsafe in that 10 block area in Sioux Falls. Run down infrastructure, lots of beat up cars, somewhat run down houses and commercial buiidings, some sketchy people walking around.

Geez you generalize much? I just commented on the "safeness" of Sioux Falls is all. Everything isn't peachy here and I have one child that is well below average at least academically. Why is the town in an "epic level of denial" and what is the nature of the denial? I've got lots of good things to list about Sioux Falls and lots of things I complain about too. Like everywhere I've lived including MSP and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:36 PM

168 posts, read 256,437 times
Even supposedly "ok" suburban parts of Sioux Falls are having problems. Murders, swat having to be called on people and other similar violent crime. There is this persistent impression that Sioux Falls is immune to crime and larger cities must be just crawling with it.

I have pulled data from other sources before on Sioux Falls vs. other cities for crime per capita. Sioux Falls is always on par with places like Chicago. It isn't a total rundown cesspool but it certainly isn't Mayberry either.

Sioux Falls really is not that safe. I had my car broken into in the middle of the day at a grocery store. I know plenty of people who have their own experiences of dealing with unstable people, property damage, robbery etc.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:56 PM

32 posts, read 41,237 times
[QUOTE I got a flat tire in Bloomington once and I did not feel safe at all.[/quote]

Lol that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Bloomington is not dangerous at all. Why on earth would anyone feel unsafe in Bloomington?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:13 AM

71 posts, read 118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joots View Post
[QUOTE I got a flat tire in Bloomington once and I did not feel safe at all.

Lol that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Bloomington is not dangerous at all. Why on earth would anyone feel unsafe in Bloomington?[/quote]
I know right. What scared you? Those high end apartments and that Starbucks. Bloomington is one of the nicest suburbs ive seen.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay53 View Post
Lol that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Bloomington is not dangerous at all. Why on earth would anyone feel unsafe in Bloomington?
I know right. What scared you? Those high end apartments and that Starbucks. Bloomington is one of the nicest suburbs ive seen.[/quote]

I already answered your question on 2-23-16. By your logic if there's a nice part of a town than the whole town is nice - hmmm. Since you are big on statistics for your case that Sioux Falls is a crime-infested ghetto, please see the attached data for Bloomington. Bloomington is tops for crime in Minneapolis suburbs. It is more dangerous than 87% of cities (13 out of 100 with 100 being the safest).
Attached Thumbnails
Sioux Falls vs. Minneapolis-bloomington_crime.jpg   Sioux Falls vs. Minneapolis-bloomington_crime_2.jpg  

Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 AM

67 posts, read 77,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpointyboots View Post
Even supposedly "ok" suburban parts of Sioux Falls are having problems. Murders, swat having to be called on people and other similar violent crime. There is this persistent impression that Sioux Falls is immune to crime and larger cities must be just crawling with it.

I have pulled data from other sources before on Sioux Falls vs. other cities for crime per capita. Sioux Falls is always on par with places like Chicago. It isn't a total rundown cesspool but it certainly isn't Mayberry either.

Sioux Falls really is not that safe. I had my car broken into in the middle of the day at a grocery store. I know plenty of people who have their own experiences of dealing with unstable people, property damage, robbery etc.
What are you talking about? Sioux Falls has a pretty low crime rate compared to Chicago.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
I already answered your question on 2-23-16. By your logic if there's a nice part of a town than the whole town is nice - hmmm. Since you are big on statistics for your case that Sioux Falls is a crime-infested ghetto, please see the attached data for Bloomington. Bloomington is tops for crime in Minneapolis suburbs. It is more dangerous than 87% of cities (13 out of 100 with 100 being the safest).

try again

Cities Where Crime Is Soaring - 24/7 Wall St.

2014 stats
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...th-Dakota.html
http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...Minnesota.html

murder rate
2.4 Sioux Falls (43 murders between 2002 to 2014)
0.0 Bloomington (11 murders between 2002 to 2014)

rape
89.0 Sioux Falls
26.4 Bloomington

robberies
52.6 Sioux Falls
86.0 Bloomington

assaults
298.2 Sioux Falls
67.7 Bloomington

burglaries
506.6 Sioux Falls
232.9 Bloomington

thefts
2257.1 Sioux Falls
3317.9 Bloomington

auto thefts
188.2 Sioux Falls
122.8 Bloomington

arson
14.9 Sioux Falls
6.9 Bloomington

the MOA no doubt accounts for the offset in the theft stats, everything else indicates Sioux Falls is a crime cesspool in comparison

Old 08-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
try again

2014 stats

murder rate

rape
89.0 Sioux Falls
26.4 Bloomington

robberies
52.6 Sioux Falls
86.0 Bloomington

assaults
298.2 Sioux Falls
67.7 Bloomington

burglaries
506.6 Sioux Falls
232.9 Bloomington

thefts
2257.1 Sioux Falls
3317.9 Bloomington

auto thefts
188.2 Sioux Falls
122.8 Bloomington

arson
14.9 Sioux Falls
6.9 Bloomington

the MOA no doubt accounts for the offset in the theft stats, everything else indicates Sioux Falls is a crime cesspool in comparison
I didn't say that Bloomington was a cesspool. But oh the shock and horror when I said I felt uncomfortable there one time when I got a flat tire. As I've said in previous posts, there is lots of crime in 10% of Sioux Falls, near downtown. That is what skews these numbers and you can see that for yourself on Trulia. I live, work and play in the 90% that is very safe.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:19 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio2 View Post
I didn't say that Bloomington was a cesspool. But oh the shock and horror when I said I felt uncomfortable there one time when I got a flat tire. As I've said in previous posts, there is lots of crime in 10% of Sioux Falls, near downtown. That is what skews these numbers and you can see that for yourself on Trulia. I live, work and play in the 90% that is very safe.
You are totally "right on" with your post.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:52 PM

26 posts, read 51,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
try again

2014 stats

murder rate

rape
89.0 Sioux Falls
26.4 Bloomington

robberies
52.6 Sioux Falls
86.0 Bloomington

assaults
298.2 Sioux Falls
67.7 Bloomington

burglaries
506.6 Sioux Falls
232.9 Bloomington

thefts
2257.1 Sioux Falls
3317.9 Bloomington

auto thefts
188.2 Sioux Falls
122.8 Bloomington

arson
14.9 Sioux Falls
6.9 Bloomington

Forgive my potential ignorance here, but how is it even a fair comparison to compare raw data for a city with virtually no metro area (Sioux Falls) vs one city in a very large metro area (Bloomington in the Twin Cities) when the populations are vastly different? The TC has an approximate population of well over 3 million, Sioux Falls is not even a quarter million... am I missing something here?

I can guarantee the number of murders in the MPLS area/TC is well, WELL over the percentage of Sioux Falls, so I'm not even going to look at the numbers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Sioux Falls