Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:42 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
I stated he's better than Cristiano Ronaldo but definitely not Brazilian Ronaldo who dominated 3 different European leagues and the World Cup
Lazy, tubby Brazilian Ronaldo has to be the most hyped soccer player of all-time. He was far less influential than Rivaldo on that WC team. I will say he dominated the Dutch league for a short time but was sporadically good while on great teams in Italy and Spain. He wouldn't make my all-time top 50.

I think it was that buck-toothed smile, laid-back nature and pool of hot girlfriends that won over his fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,303 times
Quote:
All we can compare is his failures at the World Cup because unlike the 3 players I listed above, Messi hasn't built up the courage to leave the nest (La Liga)
Messi has never won the world cup. Doesn't mean he isn't the best of all time and it also doesn't mean he wont win it in years to come.

Messi hasn't YET did it on the international stage but he has done it on the club stage. He has won 3 European Cups. Maradona hasn't won one.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:09 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Considering most players only get 2-3 cracks at winning a World Cup, I think it can be overlooked that Messi has not won one.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:31 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
Unlike that Messi fat ronaldo won the world cup all on his own...as the rest of brazil was crap as we all know

Old 05-07-2013, 02:39 PM

286 posts, read 331,732 times
Grab a chair kids. It's time for a futbol education

Ronaldo tore his knee multiple times in his career, requiring major surgery. Otherwise he might have finished as the Greatest of All Time, considering he is the youngest winner of FIFA Player of the Year at only 20 years.

He battled knee issues throughout his career. On the subject of his weight, he had an illness called hypothyroidism. It wasn't from overeating. So congrats on those blasting Ronaldo for something he had no control over.

Ronaldo dominated
- Holland
- Italy
- Spain
- World Cup

Messi dominated
- Spain
- ?

At this point in their careers, you can't compare the two. No one is asking Messi to win the WC but to take one of the most talented rosters in the World deep into the tournament is too much to ask?

Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,546,303 times
Ronaldo is one of the greatest players I have ever seen. One of my favourite players. Absolute great striker in his day. I still remember the 02 final well. However, I just think Messi is the greatest thing I have ever seen. Not just stats but watching him play. He is incredible and to be fair to you, thetroof and to the rest of us on here, it is probably impossible to say who is the greatest of all time. Its so opinionated on different things. Stats, honors, ability, passion, generation etc.....

I also have to say that I like the way Ronaldo was chubby. Shows you don't have to be ripped or pretty to be a great player.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:53 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
Quote:
Grab a chair kids. It's time for a futbol education

Ronaldo tore his knee multiple times in his career, requiring major surgery. Otherwise he might have finished as the Greatest of All Time, considering he is the youngest winner of FIFA Player of the Year at only 20 years.

He battled knee issues throughout his career. On the subject of his weight, he had an illness called hypothyroidism. It wasn't from overeating. So congrats on those blasting Ronaldo for something he had no control over.

Ronaldo dominated
- Holland
- Italy
- Spain
- World Cup

Messi dominated
- Spain
- ?

At this point in their careers, you can't compare the two. No one is asking Messi to win the WC but to take one of the most talented rosters in the World deep into the tournament is too much to ask?
Messi hasn't played in HOlland or Italy and you're faulting him for that...

Old 05-07-2013, 04:14 PM

286 posts, read 331,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Messi hasn't played in HOlland or Italy and you're faulting him for that...
We must question if Messi would have the same success in different leagues considering his lesser results in International play.

Zidane, Brazilian Ronaldo and Cristiano all proved themselves at multiple teams and leagues.

It's a fair argument. To be the best, you must challenge yourself not just join the best team in the World and remain there.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
La Liga has Real Madrid, Valencia, Atletico Madrid, Atletico Bilbao, Sevilla etc. Hardly a poor league for gods sake. It is the 2nd or 3rd BEST LEAGUE on earth.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
Bayern must beat BVB if they don't I don't know what i'll do. can't take the heartbreak of yet another UCL final loss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer