Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 08:57 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I was curious what others experiences are, either how you learned
soccer or if you have kids, how they are learning.
As one who would love to see the United States be successful with its team on the world stage, I too am very interested in how we develop our younger players for the 'big time'.

Many moons ago, as a parent, I had the opportunity of receiving a reply from the Youth Academy director of a famous English Premier League club. The director replied to me after I had asked how do I introduce and develop soccer to very young boys. Frankly, I just wasn't sure what to do since I really wanted to do the thing right and not off the cuff. The advice I got was simple and direct. In a nutshell it was from the first minute they are at 'practice' have them moving with the ball, moving with the ball, moving with the ball. Drills are ok but the goal really is to have the players learn to get comfortable moving and playing with the ball at their feet. The more the activity is done the more players become 'used to' the feeling of the ball at their feet. Perhaps it could then be simply a 'natural' as the players develop their skill. And finally another suggestion was to keep it 'fun'...don't make practice a burden. Have the players enjoy it.

Just my experience which was, in my estimation, a positive one. Of course this is at a very basic level. But I'd suggest it is where all players really 'learn' the game perhaps not so much in a 'technical' sense but in the puire essence of playing the game itself, ie. the exhiliration of running, kicking and scoring a goal. The earlier the better I think.

Now I'd think this is going on today no doubt with more improvements in teaching the game. But I'd think osccer is kind of a simple game with running, passing, kicking, shooting. Maybe players today have caught on how exciting the game can be. That's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
The advice I got was simple and direct. In a nutshell it was from the first minute they are at 'practice' have them moving with the ball, moving with the ball, moving with the ball. Drills are ok but the goal really is to have the players learn to get comfortable moving and playing with the ball at their feet.
I like this advice and tend to agree. Running with a ball at your feet isn't as easy as it sounds, especialy when other people want it. Also, I deleted it, but you mentioned fun and fun is so important. I see many parents that are too intense, I bet a lot of these kids flame out of sports because there is just too much pressure. I had two long conversations with two guys that have coached youth for 20 years, both of them said similar things. It was about gaining base skills in a fun manner and then applying that to games, which should also be fun. They talked about repitition of the basics and then building on those basics.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:49 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Yes, I agree! Good luck and have them keep 'dribblin' and 'movin'. It'll pay off!

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
I have heard that one of the big reason Spain, and Brazil are successful is they play a lot of small soccer: futsal, indoors, street soccer on a small pitch. This teaches them close in ball control, possession skills, how to pass and receive in traffic. When they take those skills and play on an expanded field, it makes them more dangerous because they can play in a collapse area, and draw defenders to them, and make passes to open teammates.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:29 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I have heard that one of the big reason Spain, and Brazil are successful is they play a lot of small soccer: futsal, indoors, street soccer on a small pitch. This teaches them close in ball control, possession skills, how to pass and receive in traffic. When they take those skills and play on an expanded field, it makes them more dangerous because they can play in a collapse area, and draw defenders to them, and make passes to open teammates.
Good points. I know very little about futal, maybe I'll look into that. My boys played indoor this winter (that is included in their club) and I will put them in 3v3 this summer to see how that goes. It was funny, after the indoor season they had a little difficulty transitioning to outdoor. Their first spring outdoor game looked worse than their last outdoor game before winter. At their age they only play 5v5 on a small field with little goals. I guess in Fall 2015 they would move to 7v7.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:11 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Good points. I know very little about futal, maybe I'll look into that. My boys played indoor this winter (that is included in their club) and I will put them in 3v3 this summer to see how that goes. It was funny, after the indoor season they had a little difficulty transitioning to outdoor. Their first spring outdoor game looked worse than their last outdoor game before winter. At their age they only play 5v5 on a small field with little goals. I guess in Fall 2015 they would move to 7v7.
It is basically the same as we do with basketball or hockey. When we were kids, we go outside and play keep away. We try and cross each other over, and do other fancy dribbling moves. Same in hockey. Out on the streets, the kids will go at each other one vs one, and try to nudge the puck under the other kids sticks, and gain control once it is behind. These types of one vs one skills are so important. In an organized formal game, if you can get past your man, it forces another opponent to pick you up, and that leaves your teammate open.

Futsal is basically soccer on a basketball court, with a smaller goal, and there is out of bounds lines, so you cannot bounce the ball off the wall. I think the difference between futsal and indoor soccer is indoor soccer has a wall. I am not sure. My only fear is that organized small soccer coaches in the USA might try and restrict the creative play making that is supposed to be the hallmark of these types of games. These types of organized small soccer evolved from street soccer matches which have no coaches.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:04 PM

248 posts, read 310,532 times
The 1 Soccer Policy that Cripples the National Team all the way to 9 Year Olds
The 1 Soccer Policy that Cripples the National Team all the way to 9 Year Olds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer