Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times

Advertisements

lol
there's a german restaurant over here that i love; considering going there for the final but it will be a bit crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 10:18 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
I've decided to root for the Argies. Messi deserves a cup more than Robben.
I agree; however, Netherlands as a team deserves more the winning trophy than Argentina. They hold the unpleasant record of playing the most WC finals without ever winning the tournament (1974, 1978 and 2010).

Perhaps it would be better for them if they lose now and don't reach the final

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,251,349 times
I have no idea whom I want to win at this stage.

I like Messi, but my kids don't want Argentina to win in Brazil.
I like the Netherlands, but don't want Robben to win.
Germany has already won three times, so I would like someone new.

My family is behind Netherlands at this point, I am completely torn...

Old 07-09-2014, 10:46 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,530,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
I've decided to root for the Argies. Messi deserves a cup more than Robben.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
I think a lot of people want the Netherlands to win which surprises me because Messi might win the last trophy for him to claim he's the best player of this era.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think a lot of people want the Netherlands to win which surprises me because Messi might win the last trophy for him to claim he's the best player of this era.
Messi just turned 27. He should be in shape in 2018 for another WC. It's probably the end for Robben, Van Persie and Sneijder though, all 30 years old.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Messi just turned 27. He should be in shape in 2018 for another WC. It's probably the end for Robben, Van Persie and Sneijder though, all 30 years old.
Then I hope Holland goes all out and wins this cup.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,802,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Messi will definitely be playing in Russia for the 2018 World Cup.

I think this is going to be the last World Cup for the core of the Netherlands team - Wesley Sneijder, Robin Van Persie, Arjen Robben, Dirk Kuyt, Klaas Jan-Huntelaar, Nigel de Jong and Ron Vlaar. Really the 2016 Euro in France will probably be the last international duty most of these guys will be seeing. Apart from the 2012 Euro, it's been a very good run for the Dutch since 2006. I guess it will really all depend on how well the youth in the Dutch system progresses leading up to the 2018 tournament.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,925,107 times
About Brazil vs Germany....up until Germany scored the second point, I honestly thought Brazil would win this one. People say that the Brazilian team was never that good, but respectfully disagree; the players were playing with such tactical skill, and heart, and if you noticed, early on, it was Brazil that was able to make the connections, and reach the German side easily, where as Germany could barely advance before they got the ball stolen from them. Even without Neymar and Silva, the Brazilians were compensating quite fine, and making the stops. Unfortunately, Germany scored that first point, and I think that was when the Brazilian team lost their morale, setting the stage for the massacre people around the world witnessed.

Today, with Argentina vs Netherlands, Argentina is that last hope for the Americas (and Messi knows it). If they lose, it will be an all European Final.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
About Brazil vs Germany....up until Germany scored the second point, I honestly thought Brazil would win this one. People say that the Brazilian team was never that good, but respectfully disagree; the players were playing with such tactical skill, and heart, and if you noticed, early on, it was Brazil that was able to make the connections, and reach the German side easily, where as Germany could barely advance before they got the ball stolen from them. Even without Neymar and Silva, the Brazilians were compensating quite fine, and making the stops. Unfortunately, Germany scored that first point, and I think that was when the Brazilian team lost their morale, setting the stage for the massacre people around the world witnessed.

Today, with Argentina vs Netherlands, Argentina is that last hope for the Americas (and Messi knows it). If they lose, it will be an all European Final.
If Neymar and Thiago Silva was playing, the coach would not have changed the tactics and the team would have given the Germans a hard time, I'm not saying they would win but I think it would be very close.

The lack of such important players forced the coach to change the tactics and he screwed up big time. He should have put 3 defensive midfielders (L. Gustavo, Paulinho and Ramires, or maybe Fernandinho) to contain the creative engine of Germany in the middle with Oscar in front of them for creation and 2 men forward (Fred and Hulk) (4-3-1-2). Or to be even safer, at least initially, he could go completely 4-5-1 and get rid of Fred who was not playing well, keep the midfield strong with 4 defensive midfielders and use Willian as a fifth men to help the transition to attack and just Hulk forward. But, instead, the idiot put the tiny and low experienced Bernard to attack in the left creating a 4-3-3 with just 2 defensive midfielders resulting in a HUGE HOLE in the midfield.

That was exactly what the Germans were hoping for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer