Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 04:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBeaches View Post
I beg to differ....let's not blame crime on our schools. People's behavior in society comes from the home, the parents, and society in general. As a 24-year veteran teacher in this state (at a wonderful school noted for its strong.
I definately should have expressed myself better. I did not mean to imply that the schools were the only thing to blame. Of course there are many other factors involved and yes you are right, home environment is the primary influence. My thoughts are though, that unfortunately there isn't a whole lot you can do about "bad" parenting. There always has been and there always will be bad parents and parents that have no right having or raising kids. Give those kids the best that they can outside of that terrible home life and they have the opportunity to get out of that viscious cycle. Also, there is only so far kids can go with a good home life and a bad education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 15,643 times
Most of the violent crime is domestic, or at least family related, including the property crimes (mostly crack related too i'm guessing), and yes a lot of this crime is isolated in low income communities like Racepath near Conway or The Bottom in Loris.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:50 AM

9 posts, read 136,373 times
Default What happens when the tourists go home?

I believe that some of the crime statistics are skewed because of the transient (temporary) increase in population, However what do the crooks do in winter, I.E. who do they rob, when all the tourists are at home?

Old 07-10-2007, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,635 times
I lived in Berkeley County my whole life up until about 8 yrs ago when I had to move because of my husband's work...and for 30 yrs we never locked our doors at night or locked our cars...we lived on a lot of acreage and have dogs (as do most of my neighbors which were family members)...our town has had ONE murder in 150 yrs and that was because it was someone from another town during a robbery of a convenience store.

I've lived in San Antonio TX, Plano, Texas, Portland Oregon, The Woodlands Texas and Kansas City MO. Yes, I've moved a lot in the last 8 yrs...the

Most beautiful was Oregon (but VERY liberal and thought all people from the south were racist, dumb and backward)

Worst Traffic was Houston, TX (bad pollution too) (near the Woodlands)..crime was really bad here too...the Woodlands itself was Ok, but all the high school kids are doing drugs and getting drunk every weekend (even the good ones). There is a "stuck up" attitude with the kids here that is really sad...at one of the games the Woodlands high school played against an "inner city" team, someone actually held up a sign that said "We're White, We're Rich, and we do what we want"...I could not believe that parents are raising these types of kids here..The Woodlands is nothing special..not pretty, terrible traffic, very FLAT, super high taxes and hot. I still don't know what the draw is to this place.

San Antonio has mostly a Hispanic population and crime is terrible there... however it does have the Alamo, Sea World, and the River Walk which is nice to visit for a few days...

Plano TX is nice but very crowded...some NBA player's children went to my kids elementary school and one had a sleep over at my house with my daughter..very nice Mall there too. Gets really hot in the summer, and I did see snow one winter.

Now I live near Kansas City MO...I can say that this last winter was horrible..it got to negative 3 degrees and when the wind blew it felt like it was cutting me in two. The traffic is not bad and since I've only been here for 8 months now, I really haven't had time to see everything..but for now it's been pretty nice..the Airport is def one of the easiest to get in and out of...

Old 07-11-2007, 12:17 AM

71 posts, read 249,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoGuy View Post
I grew up in Dillon, SC (about 30 miles from Florence), and my parents currently live in Myrtle Beach. SC is like most other places -- the violent crime is mostly confined to certain areas, in certain situations. As waccamatt pointed out, much of it is domestic violence; most of the rest is drug-related or occurs in clubs or juke joints. (As someone has pointed on on this forum, MB stats are particularly skewed because of the transient population there; I wouldn't feel in danger in most places there.) It is not as if there are roving gangs of thugs everywhere looking for someone to attack.

Having said that, I make sure to lock my doors at night, and I plan to get my concealed weapons permit as soon as possible. Many people in SC are very poor, and drug abuse is a major problem. Education and employment rates are bad compared to the national average. That leads to a fair share of robberies, burglaries, and related crimes. Just a few weeks ago, a great uncle of mine (80 plus years old) was stabbed to death at his rural home in a county neighboring Florence. His wallet and truck were stolen. The alleged killer is a former employee of his, a crack head looking for money to feed his habit. One of my basketball partners from Dillon had a nice scar on his belly where he got shot working at a local convenience store. I know in Dillon, if you leave anything of value out in the yard -- even under the carport -- like a bicycle or lawn mower, it will get stolen fast. In the last Pee Dee county where we lived, state police busted a prostitution ring involving a 12-year old girl.

If you live in a good area and confine your activities to those areas, you will be fine for the most part. But I don't think one can completely sugar-coat the crime statistics.
Wow, I lived in Dillon, SC for a few years when I was a teenager back in the early 80s. I went to JV Martin and Dillon High.

My grandparents used to live right behind JV Martin. The house is gone now. I haven't been down there much since my father died in March of 2001.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 AM

201 posts, read 823,318 times
To the original poster- Yes, SC is this violent.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
To the original poster- Yes, SC is this violent.
I heard things started getting really bad in the last few years, because so many people where relocating down there from rough areas.

My cousin was killed in Dillon about 2 years ago.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 AM

201 posts, read 823,318 times
I don't know the causation, the poverty rates don't help but there are other states with high poverty rates with lower crime rates... personally I think it'[s the humidity. Leaches the brains out of developing babies or something... joking. Sort of.

The whole southeast is suffering a crime crisis, while violent crimes have actually gone down in much of the country they have consistently increased in the southeast. This is a region with strict laws, the death penalty, and gun ownership so I dunno- you'd think it'd be safe... the crappy schools, high poverty rates and uh..humidity, that's what stands out most.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I don't know the causation, the poverty rates don't help but there are other states with high poverty rates with lower crime rates... personally I think it'[s the humidity. Leaches the brains out of developing babies or something... joking. Sort of.

The whole southeast is suffering a crime crisis, while violent crimes have actually gone down in much of the country they have consistently increased in the southeast. This is a region with strict laws, the death penalty, and gun ownership so I dunno- you'd think it'd be safe... the crappy schools, high poverty rates and uh..humidity, that's what stands out most.
I don't know what is going on down there. It was really safe when I lived in Dillon back in the 80s. You could leave your door unlock and come home with your belongs still in place.

I am going down to Manning, SC the first week of august. We haven't heard anything bad about this town or Sumter, SC.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:44 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head...all of those things are causes of the high crime rate, especially on the domestic front. Why people feel the need to carry guns is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina