Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
The 330,000 plus democrats who voted for Greene should be embarrassed.
Why, because you voted for DeMint and anybody who differs is wrong? Sounds a lot like teabagger rhetoric.

Over 475,000 SC voters preferred someone other than DeMint. I happened to vote for Clements, but if there had not been a third candidate, I would have voted for Greene before ever giving DeMint my vote. Greene would have been totally ineffective in DC, incapable of being nearly as damaging to our state and nation as is DeMint and his ideology. IMO, that is sufficient reason to vote for Greene. I don't expect you to agree, but then again, I don't expect you to be embarrassed by voting for DeMint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Why, because you voted for DeMint and anybody who differs is wrong? Sounds a lot like teabagger rhetoric.

Over 475,000 SC voters preferred someone other than DeMint. I happened to vote for Clements, but if there had not been a third candidate, I would have voted for Greene before ever giving DeMint my vote. Greene would have been totally ineffective in DC, incapable of being nearly as damaging to our state and nation as is DeMint and his ideology. IMO, that is sufficient reason to vote for Greene. I don't expect you to agree, but then again, I don't expect you to be embarrassed by voting for DeMint.
One hundred virtual reps to you!

I saw this thread yesterday and contemplated replying to that same post. I decided I would just sit back and hope you did instead. I knew you would say it much better than I could.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:

Tell me how DeMint is going to do worse for SC than Alvin Green would. Green couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe you want a guy in the Senate that will vote whichever way he is told by the senior democrats in the Senate, but I for one, appreciate someone with a brain that votes what he feels is best for his state and our country and for the voters who put him there.

We already have too many people in congress that can't think for themselves and when Obama says jump, they say "how high?".

But then again, it looks like that's exactly what the liberals want. Thankfully people came to their senses on Tuesday and voted a good portion of those robots out of office. And it will happen again in two years.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Exactly. You just agreed with me that the race card on Obama winning the presidential election isn't valid. Of course it's a different story when it came to the primaries like gsupstate said.
But gpupstate just showed you that 95% of blacks who voted in the 2008 election voted for Obama? How do you explain that?

Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Quote:
But gpupstate just showed you that 95% of blacks who voted in the 2008 election voted for Obama? How do you explain that?
I thought gsupstate was only talking about the primaries when it came to that 95%. I see he was talking about the presidential election instead. Sorry about that. Not suprising to see 95% of African Americans voting for Obama over McCain though seeing how the vast majority of African Americans tend to be Democrats. However, it doesn't bode well when it comes to the race card to see 90% of them voting for Obama over Clinton in the primaries.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Tell me how DeMint is going to do worse for SC than Alvin Green would.
DeMint has been very vocal that his agenda is strictly to bring about Obama's "waterloo", and to hell with what may or may not be good for this country. He may be the consummate politician, in that his efforts are focused entirely toward defeating "the other side" and advancing his own political career. If he truly gave a damn about SC or the US, he would at least make some effort at advancing whatever platform he may have through at least some bilateral negotiation. He could learn a thing or two about statesmanship from his senior senator, but then again, that would only bring wrath from SC's ultra-right. Why work together to improve our country when you can being touring with Palin??

And I'm sick of all the crap about the democrats having control of the Senate. Anybody who pays any attention recognizes that today's Senate is completely ineffectual without at least 60 votes, and still a lone senator in the wrong place (fill in the blanks with DeMented) can back everything up so that little or nothing is accomplished. You're obviously an intelligent gentlemen, any you already knew that without me saying it, didn't you.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
DeMint has been very vocal that his agenda is strictly to bring about Obama's "waterloo", and to hell with what may or may not be good for this country. He may be the consummate politician, in that his efforts are focused entirely toward defeating "the other side" and advancing his own political career. If he truly gave a damn about SC or the US, he would at least make some effort at advancing whatever platform he may have through at least some bilateral negotiation. He could learn a thing or two about statesmanship from his senior senator, but then again, that would only bring wrath from SC's ultra-right. Why work together to improve our country when you can being touring with Palin??

And I'm sick of all the crap about the democrats having control of the Senate. Anybody who pays any attention recognizes that today's Senate is completely ineffectual without at least 60 votes, and still a lone senator in the wrong place (fill in the blanks with DeMented) can back everything up so that little or nothing is accomplished. You're obviously an intelligent gentlemen, any you already knew that without me saying it, didn't you.
I certainly don't agree with everything DeMint has done. But I know without a doubt, he was a better choice than Alvin Greene, which what this thread is about.

I'm glad to hear that you are sick about the blame that is passed onto the Democrats in the Senate. I'm sure you would agree that if the GOP was in power, they then should not be blamed either.

As for the 60-vote rule. The GOP recently were the ones who pushed for "cloture", which is the 60 vote rule to stop a filibuster. The Demorcrats cried foul, but had no choice and actually were able to get the 60 needed to pass Obamacare. Now the shoe is on the other foot. The Democrats plan to use cloture to keep the GOP from repealing Obamacare, while the GOP plans to push for a 51 vote majority rule. So how effectual will that be? Cloture still works for the party in power.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:47 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
I don't think anyone ever thought Greene had much of a chance. That's why Clement got 120,000 votes and write-in candidates got (if I recall correctly) some 22,000 votes. So I don't know if it was even about the idea that Greene could do a better job than DeMint. It's that lots of people in SC don't want DeMint to do his job, at all, because they don't feel that he represents their interests. So they vote for anyone else.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
But I know without a doubt, he was a better choice than Alvin Greene, which what this thread is about.
You may "know" that, but it's still nothing more than your opinion. I "know" that both are incapable of advancing our country to where it needs to be, just as I "know" that Greene is lesser of two evils. We can both "know" whatever we want, it's still just opinions, and we've all got 'em.

As far as cloture, the GOP pushed hard to eliminate filibuster rights during the early part of Bush's reign, when they had the majority. Since then, they have ridden that filibuster mule hard, and put her up wet. Both parties would be delighted for it to go away while they're in power. Regardless, under present rules, no party has control of the Senate without at least 60 seats.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:27 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:

Greene was an embarrassment for the Democratic party in SC. If he had won and gone to the Senate, it would bring even more political disgrace to this state. We dodged a bullet on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina