Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Huh? I've never noted Spratt caring about or even having a national reputation. Sanford actually did that more than Graham IMHO. Spratt was what he was- a 90s style Southern Dem. He held on an extra decade with constituent service but he really has not swayed with the wind. His district has moved away from him some and the Rs put up their best candidate during what was already and R wave. He's not like Alex Sanders or John Edwards dems who fashioned and refashioned themselves as more/less lieral/conservative in diferent crowds.
Yeah that didn't come out just as I intended. Allow me to rephrase please.

It seems to me that Spratt spent the last 2 years trying to promote and progress the national democratic party's platform even though it was counter to the wishes of his constituents. In previous years he acted (and more importantly voted) pretty much like the home folks wanted and that probably more than anything allowed him to serve the extra decade.

If you take a look back at how he voted in the past and compare it to the last 2 years it makes no sense. He is a textbook example of what happens when someone drinks deeply from the Kool-Aid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:50 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
LOL. Doesn't it get hot under that tin foil hat?

Did Voting Machines Play a Role in Alvin Greene's Win? - Chris Good - Politics - The Atlantic

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=7896

"But first, Democratic House Majority Whip Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) also appeared on Fox today where he said, "I believe there was hacking done into that computer." He later added, that because SC used the type of voting machines that have been decertified by so many other states, "maybe somebody wanted machines that were easily hacked into."
Take a look..."

LOl back at ya!

Don't you feel silly voting in 'elections' decided by two guys in Omaha? 'Lu

It has happened before...................... and will again.ddite' at Computer Mag 'Network World' Decries E-Voting in SC, Calls for Paper, Pencil Elections" NEXT STORY »

Last edited by Geechie North; 11-08-2010 at 04:01 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 05:32 PM

5,279 posts, read 6,214,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
If you take a look back at how he voted in the past and compare it to the last 2 years it makes no sense. He is a textbook example of what happens when someone drinks deeply from the Kool-Aid.
From 94-08 he was voting on bills approved by either R majorities or bound for an R president. From 08-10 he was voting on Dem originated bills (and arguably from 2006 forward.)

I don't think he changed as much as what was presented to him became items form a Democratic agenda. Also that district has been moving marginally to the right, newer residents did not have any cross-party allegience to him and in 2010 the electorate as a whole was whiter/older/more male/more Republican. I respect that he voted how he did instead of making some inane attempt at fashioning himself into a Republican-lite like some of the loseing Dems did at the last minute.

To be honest I doubt he would have stayed more than one more term regardless.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Geechie- face facts the Rs did not care who the Dems ran as a candidate. They have had the wind at their back all year and Demint is the most established/senior of all the Tea Party backers. He was going to take SC. That D's nominated a nutjob just meant more $ and time to spend elsewhere.

Rs cost themselves at least three races- O'donnell, Buck and Angle. They atleast own up to it being their own voters instead of the Wizard of Oz.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
There is no perfect politician. I'll go out on a limb here and say that Akhenaton06 probably does not agree with every decision President Obama makes, but probably supports him overall and most likely will vote for him again.
More than likely, but it was an innocent question that I asked. I wasn't going to argue the answer whether in the affirmative or in the negative. I'm more than certain there are quite a few Demint supporters that agree with that statement, and that's their right.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Geechie- face facts the Rs did not care who the Dems ran as a candidate. They have had the wind at their back all year and Demint is the most established/senior of all the Tea Party backers. He was going to take SC. That D's nominated a nutjob just meant more $ and time to spend elsewhere.

Rs cost themselves at least three races- O'donnell, Buck and Angle. They atleast own up to it being their own voters instead of the Wizard of Oz.
Your theoretical logic is shot down by the real world example of Nixon-McGovern (1972)

"The BRAD BLOG : 'Arti-factual' Election Results in SC; And a Brief History of Recent ES&S E-Vote Failure in Advance of Thursday's Democratic Primary Protest Hearing

A (Very) Brief History of Recent ES&S Failure
The history of failure in e-voting is a long one, but it's littered with failures, specifically, by the ES&S voting system, that company being the nation's currently-largest election vendor. Ludwig said the campaign was familiar with some of their documented failures, but not all.

MOD CUT

Last edited by linicx; 11-08-2010 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: TOS Copyright Violation; PLEASE READ THE RULES

Old 11-09-2010, 08:32 AM

My theoretical logic is shot down by nothing. I live in the same ccounty as Vic Rawl and lived through the media/commercial saturation at the end of the primaries. Even I had a big WTF moment when having to ID Rawl & Greene. & sadly I probably would have voted against Rawl if I remembered him and not known who Greene was since Rawl was all around the periphery of a cocaine/adultury scandal among lawyers a couple of years back. Atleast Greene was a laughinstock that burned out quickly and brightly. Rawl would have been a fricking emergency candle for the entire campaign. You really need to be in the state/area to understand the mood. In this instance it was the complete failure of everyone other than Jim Rex & Vince Sheheen to even get their name out for primary voters. It was pretty similar on the R side with the Governor race taking up the most air (and the least know candidate winning in a walk.) The one exception was our Congressional race where once again a lesser known (outside Charleston) candidate won it in a walk. That should tell you something about the SC political climate that the media never will- we are a Republican state and the Rs cleaned house from within with a few exceptions.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
My theoretical logic is shot down by nothing. I live in the same ccounty as Vic Rawl and lived through the media/commercial saturation at the end of the primaries. Even I had a big WTF moment when having to ID Rawl & Greene. & sadly I probably would have voted against Rawl if I remembered him and not known who Greene was since Rawl was all around the periphery of a cocaine/adultury scandal among lawyers a couple of years back. Atleast Greene was a laughinstock that burned out quickly and brightly. Rawl would have been a fricking emergency candle for the entire campaign. You really need to be in the state/area to understand the mood. In this instance it was the complete failure of everyone other than Jim Rex & Vince Sheheen to even get their name out for primary voters. It was pretty similar on the R side with the Governor race taking up the most air (and the least know candidate winning in a walk.) The one exception was our Congressional race where once again a lesser known (outside Charleston) candidate won it in a walk. That should tell you something about the SC political climate that the media never will- we are a Republican state and the Rs cleaned house from within with a few exceptions.
Your logic was that because Demint was assured of a win no matter who they ran against him (complete agreement there), that there was no reason to front a pony like Mr. Greene.

This is wrong for three reasons (real world):

1. Nixon was gonna win v McGovern back in 1972. Yet, CREEP (always loved that name) used its dirty tricks- money laundering, threats of IRA Audits, break-ins- to get an even better result.
Cost Dickster the Trickster his job in the long run, but............

2. Running Greene could be used as a campaign issue nationwide, as a friendly media never reported the scam of iVotronics, but surely did let everyone know about the joke that was Mr. Alvin Greene.

3. SC's politics- some of the dirtiest in the nation- shows other instances (on both sides) where a similiar ruse has been used.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:13 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Did Voting Machines Play a Role in Alvin Greene's Win? - Chris Good - Politics - The Atlantic

The BRAD BLOG : Clyburn: SC's E-Vote Computers May Have Been 'Hacked'; Rawl: 'Systemic Problem in Software'

"But first, Democratic House Majority Whip Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC) also appeared on Fox today where he said, "I believe there was hacking done into that computer." He later added, that because SC used the type of voting machines that have been decertified by so many other states, "maybe somebody wanted machines that were easily hacked into."
Take a look..."

LOl back at ya!

Don't you feel silly voting in 'elections' decided by two guys in Omaha? 'Lu

It has happened before...................... and will again.ddite' at Computer Mag 'Network World' Decries E-Voting in SC, Calls for Paper, Pencil Elections" NEXT STORY »
And that constitutes 'proof'???

Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
And that constitutes 'proof'???
To most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina