Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
People that start off hating one group end up hating everyone and everything.

Which about explains why the american south is the most benighted area in the developed world.whole world maybe.
Benighted, hmmm. Well, don't tell BMW, Michelin, Boeing, the new car company relocating to Spartanburg.

My point is I know from reading news, magazines, etc., that I would not enjoy California or New England. The culture is very different from mine so I would never voluntarily relocate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 08:40 AM

507 posts, read 878,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Benighted, hmmm. Well, don't tell BMW, Michelin, Boeing, the new car company relocating to Spartanburg.

My point is I know from reading news, magazines, etc., that I would not enjoy California or New England. The culture is very different from mine so I would never voluntarily relocate there.
Those companies love docile , ignorant workers and a regressive tax structure so SC is a natural for them.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Those companies love docile , ignorant workers and a regressive tax structure so SC is a natural for them.
Riiiight.. . . and, clearly, there are no executives, administrative, engineers, technicians, financial analysts, etc., working at any of these companies.

It's also extremely clear to everyone that BMW and Michelin have had no impact on the Upstate. No growth in Greenville, for certain. Those companies just took those tax breaks and ran away.

And, furthermore, I supposed your "docile, ignorant workers" refers to blue collar jobs. I am thankful there are still manufacturing jobs in this country and I am very grateful there are policemen, firemen, sanitation workers, plumbers, highway workers etc. and all the other people you deem beneath you.

Sheesh.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 07-07-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 PM

507 posts, read 878,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Riiiight.. . . and, clearly, there are no executives, administrative, engineers, technicians, financial analysts, etc., working at any of these companies.

It's also extremely clear to everyone that BMW and Michelin have had no impact on the Upstate. No growth in Greenville, for certain. Those companies just took those tax breaks and ran away.

And, furthermore, I supposed your "docile, ignorant workers" refers to blue collar jobs. I am thankful there are still manufacturing jobs in this country and I am very grateful there are policemen, firemen, sanitation workers, plumbers, highway workers etc. and all the other people you deem beneath you.

Sheesh.

Since I am one I only look down on the willfully ignorant ones ,skilled work at these firms is done in Europe with a few managers from there.
Mercedes in AL has to pay managers a 50% "combat pay" bonus to live thee.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM

148 posts, read 550,340 times
We moved to SC close to 4 years now. I was born in the North and my mom side of family is from the south. My sisters and brothers born in the south. (My dad was first generation born legally in the USA from Solvika) he was born in southern part of PA We always went to visit her family. Up north I was called hillybilly .south yankee. thats from family . BUT< you do hear more of the Southern disrespect the Northerns. Its the way they where raised or being raised. Its time they got in with the 21 century and let go of some of the past. Not All . Because the North really could learn alot from the Southern. And the South could learn from the North. WE are one country . No matter where you live its what you make it to be.
" IT`S YOUR LIFE CHOICE HOW YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE." You could choose to see the bad or good. Don`t come in not just here but anywhere thinking your going to change the ways to make it like it is where you came from . Because if you want that way stay there. Because the road goes two ways.You can turn around any time.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:11 PM

148 posts, read 550,340 times
Default The people here are not ignorant

Quote:
WHY WOULD YOU CALL SOUTHERNS IGNORANT. The ones I`ve seen at work. Work harder then alot of the Northerns .More pride in their job then up north. You only know the South from Hollywood movies.
Problem with you is as Charlies Danilles sings The south will rise again. Guess what South is getting the jobs. and thats how they will rise.
It may not be my generation but for my grandchildren this will be the place to be.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:17 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahagg View Post
Hi all,
Wish I would have found this site before moving from Ma. to Ga. two years ago. I just don't understand this whole issue. Why are some people so hung up on this? I enjoy meeting new people and respect them and their way of life without judging them because they may be different then me. Why do I feel like I just CAN'T fit in here. I'm looking to move again possibly to S.C. but don't want to feel like an "outcast" again. Up north I've never used the term "yankee" or "redneck". We're all created equally I just don't understand why this is such a big isue for some.
As late as two years ago (we haven't broached the subject since then) my Cousin's wife- a college-educated woman of normal intelligence and knowledge- yelled at my wife for saying that the North had won the Civil War.

Get used to it. The craziness will never go away- at least in my lifetime.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofnorth View Post
WHY WOULD YOU CALL SOUTHERNS IGNORANT. The ones I`ve seen at work. Work harder then alot of the Northerns .More pride in their job then up north. You only know the South from Hollywood movies.
Problem with you is as Charlies Danilles sings The south will rise again. Guess what South is getting the jobs. and thats how they will rise.
It may not be my generation but for my grandchildren this will be the place to be.
Then why is SC's unemployment rate so high?

Old 07-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

South Carolina ......................| 10.7

Wisconsin ...........................| 7.9

Washington .....................| 9.2 | 8.9 (Note: May and June data).

I chose the 3 states I'm most familiar with.

Wisconsin's doing good (relative term, as the Unemployment Rates here ALL only show 50% of each state's actual rate, so we're all in Depression territory) due to our trade with the much healthier Canadian Economy.

Washington's benefits from Asian trade- and Hi-Tech, of course.

SC has chosen to try to be the China of the US- low wages, and you can dump anything anywhere.

But that's by US standards. SC still can't match China's wage rate (16-cents per hour).

Not yet, anyway.....................

Last edited by Geechie North; 07-20-2010 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Greenville ranked third strongest U.S. job market

Hmmm, looks like the South is rising. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina