Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
You can add NYC & Chicago on to your list of cities to find good paying jobs. Many black people have roots in the south with families that were smart enough to see the hand writing on the wall after slavery ended and move north. I do believe this mass migration years ago is the reason that I see so many successful blacks today living here.

Had their families not moved here many generations ago they would not have prospered in the south the way they have here.

However while there are well educated black people who may be looking for good jobs in SC and having a hard time finding them because they do not exist there is definitely a piece of the puzzle (I agree with you and Columbiadata) those are not the only pieces to the puzzle. I have black friends in SC....they are not just looking for the well paying jobs. They are looking for any type of job just to put food on the table and pay their bills and find that companies in SC will hire illegal immigrants first because they will work for cheap, then they will hire white people and tell the black people they have no work for them.

Experienced this firsthand in Greenville recently while having a conversation with a guy from a roofing company that was there to provide me with a price quote for my roof. Let's forget about color for a moment. When I asked him if Americans would be the ones doing my roof his reply was "if he could find 85 Americans willing to go up on the roof and work then he would hire them"! My reply was that he can start at the Greenville unemployment office! By the way the last time I drove past it and decided to take a look there were more blacks there unemployed than any other racial group. What he really meant to say is that if he could find 85 Americans (any color) that would work for the amount of money an illegal will work for then he would hire them. In the end he did not get my roofing job....I try my best not to support business's that do not support Americans working black or white!

After this watched this same company do a job on my neighbors roof......the men who were overseeing the work on the house all white and the men who were actually on the roof doing the work all Mexican.....not a black face anywhere.

At the end of the day I can definitely see the truth in this article and how black people in SC can have an extremely hard time finding any type of job not just the well paying ones.
I'm black, make just south of 6 figures, and have never had a problem finding work. Where do I fit into your theory? You'll probably ignore the question. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 PM

315 posts, read 623,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
poor use of evidence. i browse the same mugshots newspaper whenever i'm at the gas station and its not anymore black than it is anything else.

i do find the amount of white females in those things to be alarming actually.
Judging by your screen name, I assume you live in Greenville. Thats why. The demographics and culture of Greenville is a lot different from Charleston.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I'm black, make just south of 6 figures, and have never had a problem finding work. Where do I fit into your theory? You'll probably ignore the question. Lol
GREAT comment.

The original question, edited for accuracy, as follows:

"Why is it so hard to find a job for (subtract race and add...) people who dropped out of school and/or have bad rap sheets?"

People of all colors and backgrounds will have trouble finding work when you are uneducated and/or a felon.

Case closed.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:56 PM

It also doesn't help with YOUR OWN REPRESENTATIVE Robert Ford, D-Charleston, is telling the world "Black folks ain't gonna work as hard at Boeing as those Mexicans and white people. I know black folks, and a brotha's gonna take a break, he ain't gonna do all that hard work Boeing wants."

He LITERALLY said that **** about his fellow black SC residents. Seriously.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:00 PM

128 posts, read 320,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Are you FROM Greenville? There are quite a few professional blacks who have transferred in, or were recruited and hired elsewhere and relocated here for their jobs. However, the number of blacks FROM Greenville in positions like yours is very small, if there are even any. Most of the ambitious kids I went to high school with went off to college (or the military) and settled down somewhere else, only coming back to visit.

There was a time when there was an unwritten rule that blacks could only be hired for certain types of work, like "light industrial", hotel housekeeping, low end retail, etc. The one exception was nursing. For those who didn't want to go into nursing, there really was no choice but to leave Greenville. In that regard, there is a BRAIN DRAIN where educated black Greenville natives are concerned. Those like you that you know of, are all most likely as I described above.

And, if you're from Greenville, the company you work for is most likely owned by a foreign or out-of-state entity. Native-owned companies are STILL more reluctant to hire native blacks, even educated ones.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
Judging by your screen name, I assume you live in Greenville. Thats why. The demographics and culture of Greenville is a lot different from Charleston.

good point and i agree but your original post should not have been so blanketed then. you should have mentioned charleston specifically even though this is a thread that encompasses the entire state.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass08 View Post
It also doesn't help with YOUR OWN REPRESENTATIVE Robert Ford, D-Charleston, is telling the world "Black folks ain't gonna work as hard at Boeing as those Mexicans and white people. I know black folks, and a brotha's gonna take a break, he ain't gonna do all that hard work Boeing wants."

He LITERALLY said that **** about his fellow black SC residents. Seriously.

that's sad.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post
Are you FROM Greenville? There are quite a few professional blacks who have transferred in, or were recruited and hired elsewhere and relocated here for their jobs. However, the number of blacks FROM Greenville in positions like yours is very small, if there are even any. Most of the ambitious kids I went to high school with went off to college (or the military) and settled down somewhere else, only coming back to visit.

There was a time when there was an unwritten rule that blacks could only be hired for certain types of work, like "light industrial", hotel housekeeping, low end retail, etc. The one exception was nursing. For those who didn't want to go into nursing, there really was no choice but to leave Greenville. In that regard, there is a BRAIN DRAIN where educated black Greenville natives are concerned. Those like you that you know of, are all most likely as I described above.

And, if you're from Greenville, the company you work for is most likely owned by a foreign or out-of-state entity. Native-owned companies are STILL more reluctant to hire native blacks, even educated ones.
Grew up 50 miles south of Greenville in Greenwood. When I moved here I made 30k in Greenwood. Now I make just south of 100k. All of the other blacks around me make similar. My co-workers, my mother, and aunt who work in different fields from also. So what's next?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallvictories View Post

Rep point coming your way!
I was a person who came to SC from NYC due to a job transfer....and was in the company cafeteria one day when a black man said to me "the only reason you are in that position is because you came from NYC"!

Looking back on it now after experiencing Greenville's job market.....he was absolutely right!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
Rep point coming your way!
I was a person who came to SC from NYC due to a job transfer....and was in the company cafeteria one day when a black man said to me "the only reason you are in that position is because you came from NYC"!

Looking back on it now after experiencing Greenville's job market.....he was absolutely right!
How do you explain my situation, and all those around me who are black, making south of 100? Don't skip the question. You can't explain, so you won't answer. Why? Because it blows your theory?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina