Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:10 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

Now you really can compare SC to the rest of America.

Some of the more interesting facts I found 1980 - 2009.
Highschool failure rate is higher. Conversely colleges are graduating more students.
SC gained 1.5M residents while many states lost population.
SC unemployment is slightly higher than the national average but it is not nearly as high as other states.

As a whole all states are in the same leaky boat in one aspect or another.

South Carolina Fact Sheet: SC agriculture income population food education employment unemployment federal funds farms top commodities exports counties financial indicators poverty farm income Rural Nonmetro Urban Metropolitan America USDA organic Ce

Last edited by linicx; 10-03-2011 at 07:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:23 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
Shouldn't this post/thread be in the general South Carolina forum?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:43 AM

915 posts, read 2,423,815 times
Yeah, not sure I fully understand the purpose of this thread being in the Upstate forum.

Everyone is aware of South Carolina's education rating, but some quick research will show that several Upstate counties are typically an exception.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM

I am quite sure there are exceptions in every state. This 50-state goverment issue is a bit of a broad brush but it proves a point. SC is, all things considered, holding its own, and towns like G'ville are doing a very good job of promoting their city.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

SC unemployment is slightly higher than the national average but it is not nearly as high as other states.
South Carolina is fourth in unemployment in the nation according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. August info ... September stats not out yet.

Nevada 13.4
California 12.1
Michigan 11.2
South Carolina 11.1

You have to flip this chart or start at the bottom where you will find SC.

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 PM

I'm confused ??? This was modified Sept 16th 2011 and shows SC at #47 at 11.1 unemployment. The five states with the lowest unemployemet are ND, NE, SD, NH and OK. Those unemployment rates range from 3.5 - 5.6 which is considerably lower than the national average. Unemployment Rates for States.

It is important to remember that 42% of the American employed workforce today is either a part-time employee or an under-employed worker like the guy with the B.S. that stocks groceries when he would rather be in a research lab or in school.

Last edited by linicx; 10-03-2011 at 09:17 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Quote:
I'm confused ??? This was modified Sept 16th 2011 and shows SC at #47 at 11.1 unemployment. The five states with the lowest unemployemet are ND, NE, SD, NH and OK. Those unemployment rates range from 3.5 - 5.6 which is considerably lower than the national average. Unemployment Rates for States.

It is important to remember that 42% of the American employed workforce today is either a part-time employee or an under-employed worker like the guy with the B.S. that stocks groceries when he would rather be in a research lab or in school.
What are you confused about? You said "SC unemployment is slightly higher than the national average but it is not nearly as high as other states," which Carolina Woman refuted. Then you produced a chart that confirms that she is correct, indeed, and that SC has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation. So what's confusing?

Old 10-04-2011, 01:10 PM

China's unemployment rate is 3%. Just a little interesting tidbit there.

You can look at the info provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and their chart goes from the best to the worst and South Carolina is dragging the bottom of the barrel.

I would like to note I called and talked to a nice young guy with the Bureau and I do not agree with the manner the government gathers their statistics. We talked on the telephone several times and then he had his supervisor, an older lady contact me. Emails followed back and forth.

Each month they have X number of families they contact across the US ... if I recall correctly it was 60k people ... it has been a couple of years since I investigated how they arrived at their numbers.

I tried to explain to the BLS back then when our unemployment was up in the teens their numbers was not a true picture. But it's been handled this way since the pilgrims arrived. Even going straight to the South Carolina Employment Security Commission and getting a number of SC residents drawing benefits does not reflect those that have exhausted their benefits and just gave up.

I, too, know a guy with a Biochemist degree working at Walmart at $8.00 an hour. In addition I would be willing to say South Carolina unemployment is actually higher than 11.1%.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
China's unemployment rate is 3%. Just a little interesting tidbit there.

You can look at the info provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and their chart goes from the best to the worst and South Carolina is dragging the bottom of the barrel.

I would like to note I called and talked to a nice young guy with the Bureau and I do not agree with the manner the government gathers their statistics. We talked on the telephone several times and then he had his supervisor, an older lady contact me. Emails followed back and forth...

In addition I would be willing to say South Carolina unemployment is actually higher than 11.1%.
This is called the U-6 alternate measurement of employment. It basically counts those looking for jobs, those who are working part time but looking for more, and those who have been unemployed so long that they have given up. The U-6 rate in South Carolina is over 18%.

Quote:
Not to pile on, but while some have certainly grown faster than others, no state has lost population in the past 20 years. Natural population growth and immigration has seen to that regardless of how many people have left Ohio for Myrtle Beach.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:

I don't know where your report got that number ... according to the actual US Government Census Bureau we didn't gain 1.5 million residents.

South Carolina Population 2010 Census Report = 4,625,364
South Carolina Population 2000 Census Report = 4,011,832

Our ten year gain is not 1.5 million ... my simple math indicates a ten year gain of 613,532.

York County and Horry County experienced the largest growth out of all the South Carolina Counties according to the US Census Bureau.

York County Population 2010 Census = 226,073
York County Population 2000 Census = 164,623
Percent Change 37.3%

Horry County Population 2010 Census = 269,291
Horry County Population 2010 Census = 196,660
Percent Change 37.0%

This is the actual report and you can view it by each county in South Carolina.

South Carolina QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina