Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:53 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times

Advertisements

I don't lock my house or my car. I feel very safe here. I walk my dog in the early morning and in the evening. There are plenty of seniors out walking at all hours as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 09:11 AM

890 posts, read 4,327,809 times
I used to not lock my doors either until home invasions started happening in the more rural towns, in areas where you would least expect it. Towns that you never heard in the news are suddenly starting to appear. I consider my neighborhood safe, but outside of my neighborhood there are some rundown homes with obvious low to no income occupants. This you will find is pretty much the norm in SC. Even in the pricey areas you will find poverty sandwiched in between.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,742 times
Hey, I live in Aiken, SC. The only crime that happens here, in Aiken, are minor. I've noticed that the only crimes are in the large neighborhoods.

The schools here in Aiken are absolutely great!!!

Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 PM

83 posts, read 395,134 times
Default And another thing . . .

South Carolina is a poor state, and many victims are poor, as are those who commit crimes against them. If you move here and buy a house in the neighborhoods most people talk about on this board, you'll probably feel safe. Yes, you'll read stories about criminal activity, but you probably won't know the parties involved.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:53 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Myrtle Beach, the tourist mecca that it is, has a lot to do with the state's crime rankings. A lot of property crimes are committed there, especially during the tourist season. Florence and Sumter also rank pretty high for crime, unfortunately. The Greenville area posts some of the lowest crime rankings in the state, and the York County suburbs of Charlotte do as well (pretty much York County in general).

Old 09-13-2006, 03:29 PM

66 posts, read 347,052 times
fl mom i think where your looking tega cay in a nice area ..i think your gonna be fine where you at in fl i'm in orlando will windermere andwere looking to move ourself's somewhere lol like the rest of you a safe friendly area good luck . just try and stay a week or two and ask peole up there . baily

Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM

266 posts, read 1,025,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baily View Post
fl mom i think where your looking tega cay in a nice area ..i think your gonna be fine where you at in fl i'm in orlando will windermere andwere looking to move ourself's somewhere lol like the rest of you a safe friendly area good luck . just try and stay a week or two and ask peole up there . baily
We are in Apopka, and while we are in the newer section and its nice, the people aren't very friendly and the schools are not that great. I really want to meet people and know my girls are safe.

Windemere is beautiful no? Where are you looking to move?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Myrtle Beach, the tourist mecca that it is, has a lot to do with the state's crime rankings. A lot of property crimes are committed there, especially during the tourist season. Florence and Sumter also rank pretty high for crime, unfortunately. The Greenville area posts some of the lowest crime rankings in the state, and the York County suburbs of Charlotte do as well (pretty much York County in general).

Hit the nail on the head.
Myrtle Beach, Horry County is the main reason SC ranks high on the overall rating.
Central Myrtle Beach has went down hill. North Myrtle is the better.

Was up there last month on the strip. Between the drugs, prostitutes, and plain filth I moved out. Just did not feel safe and this was 3pm.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 PM

890 posts, read 4,327,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Myrtle Beach, the tourist mecca that it is, has a lot to do with the state's crime rankings. A lot of property crimes are committed there, especially during the tourist season. Florence and Sumter also rank pretty high for crime, unfortunately.

Better throw North Charleston into that mix as well, it certainly more than contributes it's share to the ranking.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
You are correct. North Charleston needs to clean house; it brings the entire Charleston metro area down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina