Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
Dude, you don't know a single engineer.
I don't have a dog in this silly little fight, but isn't that a pretty bold proclamation to make? Are engineers so rare that a non-engineer couldn't possible know one? I'm not an engineer, but I can think of a dozen that I know without even trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 PM

596 posts, read 937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I don't have a dog in this silly little fight, but isn't that a pretty bold proclamation to make? Are engineers so rare that a non-engineer couldn't possible know one? I'm not an engineer, but I can think of a dozen that I know without even trying.
i don't think this guy knows any engineers, and surely doesn't know what they get paid. you'd think ppl walk around with their salaries posted on their forehead. most ppl don't talk about how much money they make with other ppl, even their friends.

i know one thing, clemson has better football games than MIT, and better looking women than MIT. i'll give you engineering if it means that much to you. i've been able to get job interviews and offers with my clemson degree, and i had a lot more fun at Clemson than I would have at mit.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM

i would say that if you want to do research when you graduate, mit is probably better for a student although i think clemson is better in automobile and materials kind of research. but for a regular engineering job focused on design or manufacturing techinical oversight, the two schools will the same.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM

233 posts, read 282,189 times
Quote:
Dude, you don't know a single engineer. I'm glad your friends are making more than you but I find it curious they share how much money that make with you. Most ppl don't disclose that kind of information, and it's considered very rude to ask.

I have answered this question, I think in terms of teaching the fundamentals of engineering, and I know that thermodynamics is thermodyamics regardless matter what school it is taught in. Both Clemson and MIT are ABET accredited so they must prove they are teaching certain things.

MIT's professors can have all sorts of decorations but that isn't relevant to the quality of education that people get at the respective schools. I'm not dumping on MIT, you are dumping on Clemson. All I am saying is you can get the same education at both schools, and CLemson is a very respected engineering program. I don't think MIT degree will get you an advantage over a Clemson degree with employers, especially in the South. Up north, the MIT will be better for you.

I think you are jealous of me and that is what has motivated you to start this thread. People can get on here and vote for MIT all they want, but as I have said, MIT has great PR, and with PR comes all of this other stuff that you think is more important than the actual teaching part.
Interesting that you think I don't know an engineer living in Greenville. What give you that idea? MOre interesting is how much you think you know someone on a message board. But, if it makes you happy to think that way, have at it.

Now back to the thread's question that you are avoiding, why?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:25 PM

117 posts, read 144,788 times
Quote:
You are the one making the original assertion that Clemson sucks as compared to MIT and other schools you deem superior. You don't back that up but then criticize me for saying that Clemson is just as good as MIT in the undergrad teaching arena. I point out that you know nothing about the profession or engineering schools so you can't be an expert on which schools are better. I think that is a very logical argument but you are so arrogant that you want to pretend you know more. I think MIT is seen as superior b/c few ppl ever challenge the assertion. By your logic, clemson shouldn't be able to grant engineering degrees b/c only MIT and other "superior" schools are teaching it right apparently

Most liberal arts majors don't make as much as engineers. You can point out exceptions in everything, but the ones who make more than engineers generally went on to get advanced degrees in law or medicine or business. Engineers generally make the most when you compare ppl who only have a 4 year degree. if you want to argue history majors make more than engineers in general, go for it but you won't convince anybody with a brain.

I don't go around talking about things that I have no understanding of. That is what you are doing brother and it's fun to poke fun of you.
Are you still trying to argue that engineers make more than anyone crap? Look, their salaries are decent but, I have many fiends with degrees from liberal arts schools that make significantly more than an engineer. Give it a rest, I doubt that you are correct in assuming that the other poster does not know an engineer. Kind of a bold statement considering that for all we know, you live with a family member and play on he Internet all day. Oops, sorry, just saw where you live.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyandy View Post
Are you still trying to argue that engineers make more than anyone crap? Look, their salaries are decent but, I have many fiends with degrees from liberal arts schools that make significantly more than an engineer. Give it a rest, I doubt that you are correct in assuming that the other poster does not know an engineer. Kind of a bold statement considering that for all we know, you live with a family member and play on he Internet all day. Oops, sorry, just saw where you live.
it's amazing how you know what all your friends earn. most ppl don't share that kind of information.

you can research salaries for different occupations and i think you will find engineers make more than liberal arts majors, the exception to that rule isn't the rule, as you seem to want to argue. I never said it was impossible for liberal arts majors to make more than engineer, but in general, they don't.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing up my salary on here, he's doing that. that's really what motivated this little debate, sadly. You'd think I would get a little love on the SC forum making the case for Clemson vs colleges elsewhere.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM

233 posts, read 282,189 times
Quote:
it's amazing how you know what all your friends earn. most ppl don't share that kind of information.

you can research salaries for different occupations and i think you will find engineers make more than liberal arts majors, the exception to that rule isn't the rule, as you seem to want to argue. I never said it was impossible for liberal arts majors to make more than engineer, but in general, they don't.

I'm not the one who keeps bringing up my salary on here, he's doing that. that's really what motivated this little debate, sadly. You'd think I would get a little love on the SC forum making the case for Clemson vs colleges elsewhere.
Actually, you have repeatedly dismissed degrees from liberal arts institutions A's meaningless and not challenging in addition to making less money. I simply pointed out that folks I know have 6 figure bonuses due in March, all with liberal arts backgrounds. The sad reality is that you can't handle the truth that engineers are not the brighter people on the planet and should be the ultimate authority. Folks where I work routinely make more than engineers as evidenced by resumes we see with engineering backgrounds wanting to be on the business side. We also see many engineers who hit a ceiling and get advanced degrees to move further, no different than a liberal arts degree. But, keep believing that you are making more than others.

Heck, you have yet to say why you think Clemson is only with MIT. A little scared to google the comparisons.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM

so you receive resumes from engineers despite not being an engineer? I find that hard to believe.

An engineer can be on the business side but they generally are going to report to engineers also on the business side.

I don't think that I have said liberal arts degress are meaningless, but in general they pay less than engineers. stats back me up on this. I do think some liberal arts degrees are worthless, like philosophy and sociology and women studies and african american studies, but others like history and pyschology are fine.

I never said engineers are final authority on everything but they do know more about engineering programs than a liberal arts major like yourself. You come across as arrogant when you start asserting what the best engineering schools are. I'm not quite sure why you even care unless you are pllaning to enroll in one.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM

117 posts, read 144,788 times
Quote:

To be honest, Hammond makes some good points. I don't think it is asking a lot for you to explain why you think Clemson is like MIT. Most people, even engineers, would be interested to know how you came to that conclusion.

As for salaries, you also dismissed my posts about salaries. So, I don't know wu you are arguing wiu someone else about the same issue.

In my company, some engineers report to the business side, depends on the organization.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyandy View Post
To be honest, Hammond makes some good points. I don't think it is asking a lot for you to explain why you think Clemson is like MIT. Most people, even engineers, would be interested to know how you came to that conclusion.

As for salaries, you also dismissed my posts about salaries. So, I don't know wu you are arguing wiu someone else about the same issue.

In my company, some engineers report to the business side, depends on the organization.
i think that i did explain my reasoning for it but you don't seem to be able to grasp it, probably b/c you aren't an engineer. if you think MIT is better, go there. i don't care either way.

try to keep in mind that we all can't go to the "superior" schools like MIT and Cal Tech because they have caps on enrollment. Some of us have to go slumming to get an engineering degree at places like Clemson. LOL

i don't want to argue over salaries with you. the main thing is everybody does what makes them happy. sometimes i wish i had done something other than engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina