Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 12:24 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Time to get back on-topic:

COLUMBIA — The State Transportation Infrastructure Bank today unanimously approved four Interstate improvement projects, including two along I-85.

The plan would also approve preliminary engineering for several other projects, including for an area along I-26 near Columbia known as "Malfunction Junction."

The cost would be about $550 million, paid for with bonds and cash made available by the Legislature earlier this year.

The I-85 projects would be improving the I-85/385 interchange and widening sections in Spartanburg and Cherokee counties.
Ohhhh; so I guess the upstate and midlands are 'not' getting screwd over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 06:06 AM

12,919 posts, read 18,765,744 times
When it's done Columbia will have a complete, real beltway.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM

26 posts, read 55,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Ok then, let's look at numbers. The Blue line extension from downtown Charlotte to the university area is about 10 miles and will cost $1b, not too many bridges required. This is serving a metro of 2.5m residents and has a central point of downtown Charlotte. The project was funded by the county, state and 50% federal. The line was approved because it was an extension of a current line.

For Charleston, a Summerville line would be in the 20 mile range. Using Charlotte as a guide, you are conservatively looking at a $2b line with an endpoint that is a small city who's primary industry in tourism (on the Peninsula). So, with that as a backdrop, using what analysis would spending over $2b on a line in a small metro make sense? You are connecting a town of 44k with a small city of roughly 120k people. Tourist are not driving to Charleston to abandon their car for a train ride to Summerville. In short, there is no way this line would meet the minimal requirements for federal funding even 20 yeArs out. The math does not work, has nothing to do with bias. And, putting a light rail line 400' in the air over the Cooper River is silly.

The first light rail line in SC will be connecting Rock Hill to Charlotte.

Okay, I see you side, but why are you SO ANGRY about things. I'm pretty sure if this was considered in GSP you probably wouldn't have such a hissy-fit.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:18 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajones3 View Post
Okay, I see you side, but why are you SO ANGRY about things. I'm pretty sure if this was considered in GSP you probably wouldn't have such a hissy-fit.
Carolinajones, I am not angry. Folks from Charleston have a ton of pride in the city and seem to get emotional when the reality does not agree with perception. And, because I use a lot of example to illustrate points, folks get sensitive and see it as a comparison with Charlotte when it is more of an example (I admit, I did use a comparison when a CD posted nonsense about Charlotte). The reality is that a lot of folks read the magazine articles/rankings and get excited (from any city). I just look at more economic grounded information. However, it is amusing to read the egos on this board who claim to turn down jobs, who make claims about their high incomes, who try to moderate, and who claim to know how retail margins are calculated (erroneously).......it is the internet, anyone on here could be a billionaire or live in a double wide ( I could be G Man with a different name or I may live in Charleston), so, no, no one is angry, just different perspective. No need for any to call names or post juvenile comments, nothing said on this board will change the world.

Back on subject, Limehouse would agree with this thread, he said Charleston and MP have done very well in obtaining road money, I would agree with the Charleston politician.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Carolinajones, I am not angry. Folks from Charleston have a ton of pride in the city and seem to get emotional when the reality does not agree with perception. And, because I use a lot of example to illustrate points, folks get sensitive and see it as a comparison with Charlotte when it is more of an example (I admit, I did use a comparison when a CD posted nonsense about Charlotte). The reality is that a lot of folks read the magazine articles/rankings and get excited (from any city). I just look at more economic grounded information. However, it is amusing to read the egos on this board who claim to turn down jobs, who make claims about their high incomes, who try to moderate, and who claim to know how retail margins are calculated (erroneously).......it is the internet, anyone on here could be a billionaire or live in a double wide ( I could be G Man with a different name or I may live in Charleston), so, no, no one is angry, just different perspective. No need for any to call names or post juvenile comments, nothing said on this board will change the world.

Back on subject, Limehouse would agree with this thread, he said Charleston and MP have done very well in obtaining road money, I would agree with the Charleston politician.
Interpretation: anger.

Passive aggression still can be anger. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, like you posting here and thinking anyone wants your opinion.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post

Passive aggression still can be anger. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, like you posting here and thinking anyone wants your opinion.
Something about other people in another city having pride, and in his mind over-exaggerated or unwarranted pride, angers him.

There seems to be this big contest amongst SOME people in the 3 SC metros about who is the "biggest" or what city feels the biggest or is more urban or whatever.

Bigger isn't better. Neither is more crowded. Mexico City has 20 jillion people, and I'd live in Cowpens, SC any day before I'd live there.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Interesting........how many times can one person possibly be wrong on one message board. Rory, if you don't like what I post, don't read it (put me on ignore), have a problem with what I write, PM me. Otherwise, your little attempts at being witty are pathetic.

But,before you go on another rant, why do you proclaim Charleston as the great new city? You have been in SC for a very short period of time and yet you are the attack dog to defend the city against its own economic metrics. Boeing has a good operation (777 is going elsewhere) but, economically, the city has a long road ahead to become a major player in any industry other than government. So, what's the deal? Why do you post such juvenile comments and ignore the basic facts of what is being discussed. I am honestly interested to see why someone from upstate NY constantly tries to build up a city and not only tears down other cities but writes 5th grade material towards other posters by using phrases like "ma'am". Well, actually, I don't care, I just think it is sad. But, like I said, on the internet, you can be anyone you want, maybe you are 12, I have no idea.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting........how many times can one person possibly be wrong on one message board. Rory, if you don't like what I post, don't read it (put me on ignore), have a problem with what I write, PM me. Otherwise, your little attempts at being witty are pathetic.

But,before you go on another rant, why do you proclaim Charleston as the great new city? You have been in SC for a very short period of time and yet you are the attack dog to defend the city against its own economic metrics. Boeing has a good operation (777 is going elsewhere) but, economically, the city has a long road ahead to become a major player in any industry other than government. So, what's the deal? Why do you post such juvenile comments and ignore the basic facts of what is being discussed. I am honestly interested to see why someone from upstate NY constantly tries to build up a city and not only tears down other cities but writes 5th grade material towards other posters by using phrases like "ma'am". Well, actually, I don't care, I just think it is sad. But, like I said, on the internet, you can be anyone you want, maybe you are 12, I have no idea.
If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep responding. Dance, puppet, dance.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Something about other people in another city having pride, and in his mind over-exaggerated or unwarranted pride, angers him.

There seems to be this big contest amongst SOME people in the 3 SC metros about who is the "biggest" or what city feels the biggest or is more urban or whatever.

Bigger isn't better. Neither is more crowded. Mexico City has 20 jillion people, and I'd live in Cowpens, SC any day before I'd live there.
I agree. Even NYC is just too much.

Green eyes of envy, I guess. It could be that there are those folks in a smaller, "less-economic" city, happy and getting all of the attention, while others sit in "better-off" economic places, not getting attention, cold and alone, and depressed. One can only feel sympathy.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep responding. Dance, puppet, dance.
So, that's what it is, a strange obsession with thinking that you are manipulating folks on an internet message board, funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina