Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times

Advertisements

Politics as usual: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...ojects-delayed This is crap and everybody from the upstate to the midlands knows it. This is all simply being done because the lowcountry crybabies aren't getting anything for once even though the upstate and midlands have been screwed the past few decades. Delay, delay, and more delay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:48 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Politics as usual: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...ojects-delayed This is crap and everybody from the upstate to the midlands knows it. This is all simply being done because the lowcountry crybabies aren't getting anything for once even though the upstate and midlands have been screwed the past few decades. Delay, delay, and more delay.
What does "they want to replace funding for an I-77 project" mean? It sounds they agree with "all the I-85 projects." Maybe it's just the Midlands that's getting screwed.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
The port and tourism in Charleston is a major economic driver in this state. Also, the US military is considering moving it's Africa Command to Charleston, which would be a huge move. They need completed 526 and other infrastructure if that area is to keep absorbing more people and more growth. The new 'inland port' in the upstate needs the actual waterside port in Charleston to thrive, and to do so, the area must build and grow.

The only thing holding growth back from all out explosion in Charleston is that it's roads and infrastructure aren't built up to par to support it. If they do that, Charleston will explode in growth. Which is good for SC.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 PM

The investment going into the Midlands now calls for this area of the state to get its fair share of road improvements. No more short end of the stick.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM

"South Carolina's Malfunction Junction" might get bumped up on the list.

SC’s notorious ‘Malfunction Junction’ could move up state’s road-work list | Politics | The State

Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
This is typical SC politics, lowcountry politicians have exhausted most all of the infrastrucutre bank and are trying to get more. Maybe the tourism industry should help pay for roads in the lowcountry.

Growth over a period of time between the three traditional metros is not that different to suggest that one area needs more because of growth, Charleston, Greenville and Columbia all have similar growth rates. You can cherry pick the year to show one is better than the other but, they are similar over time, none are growing as fast as top tier cities.

The I26/20 interchange needs major improvements, glad CD posted the article about trying to move that project forward. It has been the #1 priority for a while but with a $700m price tag, it is getting bypassed. I85 up to the NC line should be at least 6 lanes. And, the fast growing counties around Charlotte (2 of the top five fastest growing counties in SC are in the Charlotte metro) also need better infrasturucure. All of these projects are not on the list but to suggest Charleston needs more over other areas because of growth is not accurate.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:59 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
You guys are a joke. Just look at the interstate highways in the up state, midlands and lowcountry. Those roads up there are far more plentifull and larger than the low country and yet you're bitching. Now that's politics.
As an example every time I travel through Columbia at the I-26/I-77 interchange as large as it is. It's pretty 'dead' as traffic goes. But you know how your poliicians up there are. It has to be 'Big' because 'Columbia' is the capital.
Bill C----.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
You guys are a joke. Just look at the interstate highways in the up state, midlands and lowcountry. Those roads up there are far more plentifull and larger than the low country and yet you're bitching. Now that's politics.
As an example every time I travel through Columbia at the I-26/I-77 interchange as large as it is. It's pretty 'dead' as traffic goes. But you know how your poliicians up there are. It has to be 'Big' because 'Columbia' is the capital.
Bill C----.
Said no politician ever.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Bill C----.
Typical lowcountry......can't get over the capital thing, always fighting wars settled many many years ago (that explains why so many cities have outperformed Charleston in the past decades). The lowcountry has used almost all of the infrastructure bank, built a "signature bridge" paid for by SC, and now is extending 526 even though the parts of it that I use are empty.

I85 connects the two largest metros in the south, metros which dwarf the lowcountry and are growing at rates much faster. 85 has been labeled as one of a handful of hyper growth metros from Raleigh to Atlanta. Columbia has been growing as fast and sometimes faster than the other metros in SC, excluding the Charlotte metro. The I26/20 interchange is a joke and presents a bottleneck for moving goods and tourist to and from the lowcountry, it has the be addressed as does i20. So, it is laughable to hear lowcountry folks cry about roads considering how much has been spent and how other areas of the state are performing. Why not tax the tourist who are also using the roads, maybe a few cents extra gas tax in high tourist areas.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 23,426 times
I think the interchange of I-526 and I-26 is the worse in the state, especially coming from West Ashley and trying to head west on I-26.

I don't think I-85 widening is that pressing of a matter from a congestion standpoint.

It is interesting they are looking to extend 526. Doesn't seem like anywhere to extend it to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina