Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 PM

228 posts, read 796,906 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me understand the problem regarding the overpopulation of dogs in the South.

I am connected with a few rescue organizations in different southern states. From what I understand, there is a huge resistance to spaying and neutering dogs, along with an absence of leash laws.

The shelters are completely over run with perfectly good dogs that are killed because no one wants them.

Why is this, and is there anything that can be done about it?

I would hate to see this cycle continue.

Does anyone have any good ideas about how to change people's attitudes towards dogs?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 02:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Being a transplant down here, i have noticed a different mindset in many i've talked to/befriended concerning their pets compared to what we were used to. Now that doesnt mean it's worse then what i grew up with, in many instances it's just different.
For one, unless it's on a farm most in the north dont let their cats outside and let them roam day & night (winters could potentially kill any left outdoors 24/7) but here it's common. Yes i've been told they "take care of the snake and mice population" here, though I myself dont worry about rat snakes and i doubt most cats would win the battle with a venomous one.
The not-spaying of either dog or cat truly does throw me for a loop, especially when area shelters offer low or no cost operations. Whether one owns a purebreed or a mutt, being responsible is job 1. At least those adopted out are fixed, but OP you are correct there are far too many down here that end up dying. I know of shelters here that even transport dogs to the north for adoption.... i dont recall ever hearing that being done in reverse.
Some ways to help lower the shelter issues, is for people to adopt (what we've always done) rather then buy from home breeders or especially mills. And unless one is truly in the business correctly and has true show breeds or top end hunting dogs, dont try to make a quick buck off the family pooch (i've even seen people in a WM parking lot with a sign out selling their pups for pete's sake).....

I wont make any blanket statement about those down here any more then I would for those back home. But for any individuals who abuse the system and dont take care of their pets, unless they break a law and are actually prosecuted for it, I dont think they ever would change.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Thank your for your thoughtful reply, but I guess my question is why won't people change their mindset?

Just because certain attitudes have prevailed for a long period of time does not mean that it needs to continue.

What can be done to get people to see that there is a better way?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewatergirl888 View Post
Thank your for your thoughtful reply, but I guess my question is why won't people change their mindset?

Just because certain attitudes have prevailed for a long period of time does not mean that it needs to continue.

What can be done to get people to see that there is a better way?
well i would say that any change in the thought process would have to come internally. Meaning if one is not from here and comes in trying to make a change like this, that may not come across in the intention it was placed. Right or wrong, nothing worse than coming down and saying what one finds wrong here and why it's better elsewhere. I'm sure the shelters try to educate as much as they can, and over time there may be changes seen. But to anyone who's feelings and way of life runs deep, that's a tough challenge to take on.
I agree it can be out of control, the thousands of pets put down every year is maddening. But change may have to start small and grow over time. Unfortunately i dont think you will ever see an immediate and large scale response. I hope i'd be wrong on that point.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:39 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,915,303 times
Bluewater,
There are leash laws in SC. In my county there are leash laws.
Noone pays them any mind, but there are leash laws.
You have to understand that most of SC is rual, except for the city
areas.
SC also was just ranked the 4th poorest state in the country, as far
as income is concerned, so even if someone did want to spay a dog, they
literally can't afford it anyway.
You know, sometimes you just have to realize that some ways are hard to change.
ALot of Southerners just are set in their ways, good or bad, and they don't listen to
anybody. Period.
The good news is the truck drivers sometimes volunteer to take puppies and young dogs
from SC to the north for adoption instead of killing them.
Aiken actually has a program for that, when they can get volunteers to do it.
There is obviously a shortage of puppies at reasonable prices up north I guess,
so they drive them up. I think that's wonderful!
The south is also a giant puppy mill area too. Which is sad, but it's just the truth.
It will change someday, I don't know when, some of the born southerners are still
sore about the outcome of the civil war hundreds of years ago, so don't hold your breath.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenites View Post
The south must be getting a lot bigger lol

Today, Missouri is considered the leading puppy mill state in the country. Over time, puppy mills have spread geographically. The highest concentration is in the Midwest, but there are also high concentrations in other areas, including Pennsylvania, Ohio and upstate New York. Commercial dog breeding is very prevalent among Amish and Mennonite farmers, with pockets of Amish dog breeders found throughout the country, including in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and parts of Wisconsin.

Puppy Mill FAQ | ASPCA
i'll agree mills are everywhere. Back in the 80's in WI when we got married and wanted a particular breed (norwegian elkhound), we found a place by us that was a much lower cost then the local "show" breeder, and the pups had 'papers' so we thought they were fine. Well less than 2 yrs later the dog wasnt fine, and after everything we went thru found the place we bought him at was being investigated as a mill. Of course back then seems every mall had a puppy store and many of those bought from the same breeders.
Since that day, we have only adopted thru shelters. All i can say to anyone buying any dog, do your homework. Even purebreeds have their own rescue organizations if you want/need a certain breed and want to help a dog out (we worked with a golden rescue group once that was perfect for us), and if you have to get a pup make sure where it comes from is legit. If we stop supporting mills and backyard breeders, part of the problem will start going away.

just my .02, i'll step off the soapbox now

Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I believe rural people look more upon animals for work or food so less a member of the family. Thus they are more prone to let nature have its own way.

Ever see the tears in the young girl's eyes because she has to sell the calf she raised from a new born at the state fair? Many say so be it, a life lesson.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Bluewater,
There are leash laws in SC. In my county there are leash laws.
Noone pays them any mind, but there are leash laws.
You have to understand that most of SC is rual, except for the city
areas.
SC also was just ranked the 4th poorest state in the country, as far
as income is concerned, so even if someone did want to spay a dog, they
literally can't afford it anyway.
You know, sometimes you just have to realize that some ways are hard to change.
ALot of Southerners just are set in their ways, good or bad, and they don't listen to
anybody. Period.
The good news is the truck drivers sometimes volunteer to take puppies and young dogs
from SC to the north for adoption instead of killing them.
Aiken actually has a program for that, when they can get volunteers to do it.
There is obviously a shortage of puppies at reasonable prices up north I guess,
so they drive them up. I think that's wonderful!
The south is also a giant puppy mill area too. Which is sad, but it's just the truth.
It will change someday, I don't know when, some of the born southerners are still
sore about the outcome of the civil war hundreds of years ago, so don't hold your breath.
I know there are some rescues that partner with local vets to provide low cost / no cost spay and neuter services, especially in rural areas. It's too bad that people won't take that opportunity to help solve the problem.

There are no shortage of dogs up north, I believe that most people tend to get their pets from rescue organizations (which can include those located in the south). There are not that many pet stores that sell animals up here, and also, you would never see animals being sold in the parking lot of a store (I'm going to guess it's illegal here).

It's really ridiculous that some people are still not over the civil war, really? Get over it! I'm not picking on Southerners either, My great grandmother was from North Carolina, and her family has lived there since the 1600s.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:43 AM

11 posts, read 27,918 times
This is a national problem, but in rural areas anywhere in the country it is easier for something like a puppy mill to go unnoticed.

Everyone should do their research before getting a particular breed of dog such as understanding what it was bred to do. I belonged to a Husky Club in Connecticut when I was growing up, and there were always neglect cases. I ended up adopting two! They turned out to be great dogs but one never got over the neglect enough to be a "house pet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina