Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2013, 06:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times

Advertisements

Pelham, clempson got a BCS bowl because they have to accept 2 teams from the ACC. The obvious first choice is FSU. Then, they HAD to pick another team from the ACC. Who else was it going to be? Duke? There isn't anybody else. clemspon got into the BCS bowl because the ACC is a weak conference and they had nobody else to pick from.

Same story goes for the SEC. Only 2 teams. But look at who they had to choose from. Bama, Mizzou, Auburn, USC. All top 10 teams. Auburn was an automatic. Then they had to choose from the other 3 to fill one slot. Pretty tough competition. Unheard of in the ACC.

So until you have to play with that kind of competition every week (unlike weak forest, ga tech, duke, uva, maryland, syracuse, boston college, et all) I seriously doubt you have any legs to stand on. When Duke is playing in the title game for your conference, there is something seriously wrong. And to add to that......Not only was Duke playing in the title game, they were barely even ranked and a 5 TD underdog in the game.

Awesome conference!

The new playoff system will hopefully eliminate that kind of unfairness going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:56 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Actually it should have been Duke. They deserve it.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post

As I understand it, the bowl committee gets to invited which teams they want to play. With FSU being the only ACC team in the top ten, I think they figured #12 Clemson was still a better chance of a more even game with #7 Ohio State than Duke at #24. Of course, they may have thought that last year with WV and Clemson.

It does seem odd that Duke, being the runner-up in the ACC (and Clemson in third place), was passed over but that is why the BCS is changing. Just like South Carolina being in the top ten (#9) gets passed over because of too many SEC teams.

Oh well, next year should be interesting. I'm just glad South Carolina is doing well.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Please ban Pelham again. He is just trying to argue, he stays on the internet enough to know that the only reason Clemson is in the Orange Bowl and Carolina is in the Cap One is because of NCAA rules to prohibit one conference from dominating the top bowls, this will change next year. The only person dumber than Pelham is Dabo saying they deserve to be in a BCS game ranked 12th. The ACC is lucky to still be a conference.

As for taking fumbles out of the game, that is just dumb, can't believe a one would ever say something so out there. Are we going to remove Unforced errors from all sports? Instead of a double fault, you just serve until one drops in, or instead of striking out, just swing until you hit. Maybe if you wreck in a race, the field is frozen until everyone fixes their car.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
As I understand it, the bowl committee gets to invited which teams they want to play. With FSU being the only ACC team in the top ten, I think they figured #12 Clemson was still a better chance of a more even game with #7 Ohio State than Duke at #24. Of course, they may have thought that last year with WV and Clemson.

It does seem odd that Duke, being the runner-up in the ACC (and Clemson in third place), was passed over but that is why the BCS is changing. Just like South Carolina being in the top ten (#9) gets passed over because of too many SEC teams.

Oh well, next year should be interesting. I'm just glad South Carolina is doing well.
Im pretty sure that if you are not the conference champ, you must be ranked in the top 14 to get an at-large bid. That's why Duke couldn't go but Clemson could.

I agree Duke deserved it more. But, by the rules, they weren't top 14 and couldn't get the at large bid.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Please ban Pelham again. He is just trying to argue, he stays on the internet enough to know that the only reason Clemson is in the Orange Bowl and Carolina is in the Cap One is because of NCAA rules to prohibit one conference from dominating the top bowls, this will change next year. The only person dumber than Pelham is Dabo saying they deserve to be in a BCS game ranked 12th. The ACC is lucky to still be a conference.

As for taking fumbles out of the game, that is just dumb, can't believe a one would ever say something so out there. Are we going to remove Unforced errors from all sports? Instead of a double fault, you just serve until one drops in, or instead of striking out, just swing until you hit. Maybe if you wreck in a race, the field is frozen until everyone fixes their car.
NO don't ban him, its too much fun picking on him hahaha!!

Clemson is lucky they are ranked 12th. BCS rules say you must be top 14 to get an at large BCS bid. Had USC run the score up on Clemson- like they could have- Clemson may have dropped to 15th and not been eligible for the BCS at large haha!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Interesting about the rankings, CD2013.

I was talking with a Clemson friend this week. She said they were "scared to death" about facing Alabama after what happened with Auburn. Now, I think Ohio State might be even more determined to annihilate Clemson to prove they should be in the BCS game. We might have another West Virginia/FSU-type game to watch.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:05 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I have NEVER pulled for an Urban Meyer team. But I will on this one!

Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Duke was one of the most over-achieving teams this season. I enjoyed seeing them do well. Spurrier is a "Dookie", publicly stated that he roots for them as Duke was his first job that got him to what he became at Florida. I'm afraid Duke will be overmatched playing Johnny Manziel in the Chick-fil-a bowl, but we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Im pretty sure that if you are not the conference champ, you must be ranked in the top 14 to get an at-large bid. That's why Duke couldn't go but Clemson could.

I agree Duke deserved it more. But, by the rules, they weren't top 14 and couldn't get the at large bid.
This is correct. Although, I believe it's the top 13. Glad the BCS is history.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:42 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Pretty good read, for Gamecocks, of course.

The Spin, Excuse and Insult Zone: The Noisy Aftermath of the Fivepeat |
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina