Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 04:07 PM

124 posts, read 127,123 times

Advertisements

What do you have to lose if some dude is gunning people down? So what if you miss? You probably going to save lives if you evenutally hit him. I don't think most people are going to miss somebody at close range in a restaurant. You aren't logical.

You basically want to make it a hassle for anybody to have a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstone View Post
What do you have to lose (An innocent person if you aren't well trained?) if some dude is gunning people down? So what if you miss (Yeah, it'll just hit someone you don't even know) ? You probably going to save lives if you evenutally hit him (Sure, accidentally kill 3, but you save 5!) . I don't think most people are going to miss somebody at close range in a restaurant (All police and military trainers in the world disagree) . You aren't logical.

You basically want to make it a hassle for anybody to have a gun (Lets just hand them out at the DMV) .

And THIS POST folks, sums up my entire argument about the insane, whackjob gun push that the right wing of this state is doing. I went ahead and added answers for him.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,357 times
SC is actually one of only 5 states that outright ban open carry of handguns. Over half of the states allow it with no requirements or have shall issue permits to do so (meaning if you can legally own a gun, they must issue the permit). SC is the 46th state which passed the law allowing concealed weapons permit holders to carry weapons in establishments which serve alcohol. Despite all the sky-is-falling speculation, the wild west shootouts haven't happened anywhere in the country.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
SC is actually one of only 5 states that outright ban open carry of handguns. Over half of the states allow it with no requirements or have shall issue permits to do so (meaning if you can legally own a gun, they must issue the permit). SC is the 46th state which passed the law allowing concealed weapons permit holders to carry weapons in establishments which serve alcohol. Despite all the sky-is-falling speculation, the wild west shootouts haven't happened anywhere in the country.
CD's personality is one of hysterical ranting about non-issues. I'm starting to think he was shot by somebody because guns seem to set him off.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM

j7r6s, I don't doubt your claims. But, SC has some bat**** crazy people.

Im sure the fine folks of Idaho or Utah can handle a gun just fine. We have so man whackjobs here, that's my worry.

And for a state that supposedly HATES anyone who says "Back in (insert state/city) the way we did it was.....", we sure are embracing trying to be like other states and claiming "how they do it" is how we should.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstone View Post
CD's personality is one of hysterical ranting about non-issues. I'm starting to think he was shot by somebody because guns seem to set him off.
Guns? No.

Untrained rednecks with tempers with guns? Yes. I don't support that.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Guns? No.

Untrained rednecks with tempers with guns? Yes. I don't support that.
you seem to be the emotional one. Def. paranoid. Ask your doctor for a Risperdal prescription

Old 02-14-2014, 12:09 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
That's right. That means if you walk through downtown Charleston, then the guy walking down the street can have a fully loaded .45 caliber pistol, exposed on his hip Old Wild West style, and he can do so without every having a single hour of training, without having to get a permit, and without having his criminal background be checked.
Funny you should mention this, nobody I know personally has brought up this stuff in conversation. Therefore, I'd imagine few have a problem with it.

Straw man arguments re: gun control don't hold ay water, one only has to look at my home state of NY to see what a disaster severe gun control statutes can be, at the state and local level.

"Wild West" style, wow, that's a really informed statement[/sarc]

Quote:
and he can do so without every having a single hour of training, without having to get a permit, and without having his criminal background be checked.
Yet a man or woman doing such is most likely a better shot, and is a better handler of guns in general than your typical law enforcement yahoo. Heck, most military and LE folks handle a weapon once per year when they have to qualify.

I'd argue, too, that most legal gun owners use perfectly sound judgment with regards to handling their guns, unlike many a LE yahoo.

"Criminal background being checked"??? Are you serious? Have you bought a gun, lately?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM

3,591 posts, read 4,355,632 times
Quote:
WHY?

They don't even shoot guns in the Navy anymore in boot camp. And if a recruit goes to a desk job, he may go 20 years without shooting a fun.

Should an Air Force secretary or cook or dentist...who retires at 38, but hasn't shot a gun since boot camp, need a refresher?

8 hours is a JOKE anyway. Should be 80 hours. Guns aren't a joke, they aren't a video game. They're deadly. Even guys in military combat jobs or police SWAT teams, who train a LOT with shooting, still usually do average at best in their first real live shooting incident.

Bubba who got a 90 minute CWP 'lesson' down the road in someone's backyard does NOT need to be firing rounds inside an Applebees to "stand his ground". Innocent people will get hit. And like the Tampa movie theater shooting, the bad guy probably wont even be found to have been a real threat.

Lots of Bubbas with itchy trigger fingers. They should go enlist if they wanna trade rounds that bad.
FWIW,

All those going through Navy bootcamp must pass a small arms qualification. (Recruit Training Command - About).

Navy Boot Camp: Small arms training - YouTube

All Marines regardless of MOS are considered an infantryman first. This means that all Marines qualify annually on the combat course and range.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:07 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Vermont, and Wyoming currently have no-permit concealed carry policies. I haven't heard of huge problems that have developed in those states since they brought about the policies.

However, South Carolina is twice as population-dense as any of those states. It would be an experiment, and I'm not certain it would work here. I have seen enough people with bad gun safety habits at the shooting ranges, I hope this policy would not bring their bad habits out and about in general, populated, busy areas.

I haven't taken the classes and don't have one, but the concealed-carry training and permitting system we have seems easy enough to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina