Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:24 AM

31 posts, read 67,620 times

Advertisements

I have been told that South Carolina does not tax prescriptions and over the counter meds.
The question is What does South Carolina tax? Specially, do certain counties tax some items while other counties wouldn't? I'm most concerned about food, beverage, and the like. If I bought a gallon of milk, would that not be taxed? but a bottle of soda would be taxed?
Thank you for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:30 AM

243 posts, read 283,049 times
non prepared food is taxed...but it is taxes at a lower rate 2% vs 10% for prepared food (in the county that I live in). In regards to over the counter medication Im not really sure but the sales tax in SC varies from county to county, I believe it goes from 6% to around 9%.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM

income liability on taxes on Social Security? or what?

So, if I buy some prepared deli salads, they are taxed at the regular sales tax rate? and if I buy the ingredients to make that same salad, I only pay a small % of the sales tax rate?

I'm used to shopping in Delaware where I don't pay any taxes on anything - Ever!

Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 PM

yes, DE taxes the very high-high end purchases (not sure what) and there is a personal property tax, but we don't live in DE, so not affected.
Shopping at the DE Costco is like visiting the United States - we ride around the parking lot counting the different state license tags (actually, while looking for a coveted parking spot) ...
PA doesn't tax shoes and clothing and they have great outlets, so that's another famous shopping adventure to save money.

SC taxes have me concerned, somewhat. What we'll pay on shopping taxes, we'll save on property tax and utility expenses (both VeryHigh in the northeast!).

Old 03-02-2014, 01:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
TAX BURDEN BY STATE

Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
non prepared food is taxed...but it is taxes at a lower rate 2% vs 10% for prepared food (in the county that I live in). In regards to over the counter medication Im not really sure but the sales tax in SC varies from county to county, I believe it goes from 6% to around 9%.
I don't see any taxes on my non-prepared groceries. Is your 2% tax a local tax?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:03 PM

good question, gvsteve. I'm so confused over What will be taxed and what won't and it seemingly differs county to county. in TN where nobody pays any income tax, anything you buy is taxed and last I saw it was 8%, but could even be higher, by now. In DE (as well as a couple of other states), you pay no sales tax on anything, including restaurant bills. But, in SC, I just can't figure it out. Thought I had, but then you asked this question - rotfl. Will be waiting for another reply. tnx.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjakebubbie View Post
good question, gvsteve. I'm so confused over What will be taxed and what won't and it seemingly differs county to county. in TN where nobody pays any income tax, anything you buy is taxed and last I saw it was 8%, but could even be higher, by now. In DE (as well as a couple of other states), you pay no sales tax on anything, including restaurant bills. But, in SC, I just can't figure it out. Thought I had, but then you asked this question - rotfl. Will be waiting for another reply. tnx.
I know I don't pay taxes on cereal, milk, fruits and vegetables - pretty much any supermarket food, with a few exceptions. Beer and wine are definitely taxed. I'm not certian whether deli-counter sliced lunchmeats and cheeses are taxed - I've asked, but the grocery store cashier didn't know, it wasn't shown on the receipt for that individual item, and I have never gotten around to buying just those items to see if a tax showed up on the receipt.

If you have a deli-made sandwich it is taxed, as this is considered prepared food.

You absolutely pay sales tax at any restaurant in SC.

-----------------------------------------
I used to live in Charlotte where I had to pay 9.25% sales tax on prepared foods. But it varied by grocery store whether or not deli-sliced meats and cheeses counted as prepared foods. There was a Charlotte Harris Teeter where I was taxed 9.25% on my deli meats, and right across the street the Bi-Lo only charged the regular 2% grocery rate on deli meats. So it was very confusing. I'm surprised it's not more straightforward what is taxed and what is not - but then again, they probably don't want it to be obvious because they don't want people to change their buying habits to avoid the tax. So it's confusing everywhere I've been.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM

oy vey! glad it's not just me not understanding the SC taxes.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM

275 posts, read 430,835 times
The county you live in will charge local tax on any food. Income tax in SC is pretty high. I moved from NJ to SC and was very surprised to see it's more than double NJ! They do cap the tax when you buy a car at $500 but you have to pay the property tax on the car each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina