Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times

Advertisements

Among the 100 largest MSAs, SC's didn't fare too well in this recent ranking with 1 being worst and 100 being best. Greenville-Anderson ranked 9th, Columbia 11th, Myrtle Beach 16th, and Charleston 34th. Myrtle Beach is also the 3rd highest MSA for the highest percentage of adults with high cholesterol.

https://wallethub.com/edu/fattest-ci...#main-findings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
All interesting, I guess. Looks like someone got a grant to study something, that's all.

I live in the fat capital of the US, but I don't let it influence anything I might be doing. I eat well, exercise regularly and all that other stuff. If other people don't want to, that's up to them.

It's not like obesity is some kind of communicable disease.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 AM

37,891 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
All interesting, I guess. Looks like someone got a grant to study something, that's all.

I live in the fat capital of the US, but I don't let it influence anything I might be doing. I eat well, exercise regularly and all that other stuff. If other people don't want to, that's up to them.

It's not like obesity is some kind of communicable disease.
No, but it does have broader societal impacts that affect everyone to some degree. Obesity is a serious epidemic in this country and it really shouldn't be taken lightly; it goes far beyond someone "getting a grant to study something."

The South in general has work to do, and much of it has to do with encouraging more walkability and healthier eating habits.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:23 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
No, but it does have broader societal impacts that affect everyone to some degree. Obesity is a serious epidemic in this country and it really shouldn't be taken lightly; it goes far beyond someone "getting a grant to study something."

The South in general has work to do, and much of it has to do with encouraging more walkability and healthier eating habits.
Exactly. I am routinely shocked at the number of overweight children I see, particularly when the overweight child has thin parents. Granted, some people are born predisposed to being heavier, but that's the exception and not the rule. I'm 34 and there weren't nearly this many overweight kids when I was growing up in the 80s and 90s. Are school lunches part of the problem? Are families eating out too much? Too much screen time and not enough outdoor play? Probably all of the above. But something has to give if we're dooming our children to a life of obesity before they are even old enough to make informed decisions on their own.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,455,203 times
Surprise surprise.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,412,138 times
i don't think most physicians are going to give patient's medical records to an government agency or clickbait websites like WalletHub due to HIPPA so this is a bogus study. What they are relying on is most likely is the records of poor people who use free or low cost government medical facilities, and their health does not reflect the metro at large.

Here is info on the person who wrote the article: https://wallethub.com/profile/rbernardo/info/

Looks like a guy in his 20's with a degree in journalism. He's not a physician, nutritionist, scientist, etc.

He provides no information on what his sample size is for every city. One of his criteria in his rankings is "healthy environment" which is based on things that he arbitrarily decides is linked to obesity. Most obesity has a strong genetic component so it is not relevant to where you live.

There are a lot of skinny people who have high cholesterol, and there are overweight people who don't have high cholesterol, so that shouldn't be a criteria.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-28-2016 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 01:42 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
The CDC collects and distributes this data annually. Doctors and other health practitioners report it generically.

Sources: Data used to create these rankings were collected from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, County Health Rankings, the United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service, the Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative, and WalletHub research.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 PM

That doesn't mean they collected info from physicians in private medical practice. I can see them collecting info from a government medical practice, where the patient signs a form stating their medical info will be used.

A healthcare professional or sceitists would be much more specific in a discussion about methodology and would dislcose sample size. It is not believable he had medical info for every resident in every city. This could be based on 5 residents in each city.

I will ask my family physician about this next time I see him. It seems like it would have to be a violation of HIPPA. I have read though those forms and I never saw any statement about medical records being sent to the government for generic use.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:50 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
They absolutely do.

Data & Statistics | Obesity | DNPAO | CDC

Old 04-28-2016, 01:53 PM

Ok, well I am gong to consult physicians on it. I don't see how a company be private if they got to report a customer's info to the government and those customers think their medical info is private given the HIPPA laws.

Why don't healthcare professionals put out 'fattest cities' lists? Why is only a Buzzfeed type website that does it? I think it is because it is not useful or legit info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina