Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times

Advertisements

People all over love fried food. You and others act like everybody out of the south is a vegan.

And again, many people eat fried food all the time and they aren't fat. And also, obese and overweight aren't the same thing. Most people put on a little weight as they get older but they aren't obese.

I been in the upstate for 20 years and I rarely see a person that is obese. But this study you say is legit asserts Gville is a 'fat city'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,694,001 times
You're just whacked because your greatest city ever, with the best vistas and the finest tree trunks, got dinged. Get over it. Greenville is a nice place. But it isn't perfect.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM

Looks like that outfit actually does a phone survey, only calling people with landline phones.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Looks like that outfit actually does a phone survey, only calling people with landline phones.
It's the freaking CDC dude. Seriously, you do know what the CDC is, right?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
You're just whacked because your greatest city ever, with the best vistas and the finest tree trunks, got dinged. Get over it. Greenville is a nice place. But it isn't perfect.
I don't share your premise that people with a weight issue make a city flawed. I'm questioning how they could obtain this info if medical record privacy is something that physicians comply with.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Here is what I saw on the CDC website you linked:

Obesity Prevalence Maps
Adult obesity prevalence by state and territory using self-reported information from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.

That is not the same as obtaining medical records from private physicians.

This is straight from the CDC website:
In the past few years, all large population health surveys that depend on telephone interviews, including the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), have had to respond to the rapid rise in the proportion of U.S. households that contain only cellular telephones and no landline telephones. In order to maintain survey coverage and validity, surveys have had to add cellular telephones to their samples.

So these stats are based on landline users, who are going to be older on average than a cellphone user.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I don't share your premise that people with a weight issue make a city flawed. I'm questioning how they could obtain this info if medical record privacy is something that physicians comply with.
Seriously?? Did you read the HIPAA link I posted. It tells you what information is protected. If my doctor gives my generic info to the CDC, it's allowed. Age, height, weight.....

Here's how this works. You say the sun comes up in the west. I post a link that refutes that point. If you don't click the link, you don't learn. There is data that does not directly link to a specific person.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:29 PM

The CDC website is talking about a phone survey they did to collect obesity info for their maps.

Why bother with phone surveys if you have the medical records of patients?

I am going to ask my physician next week, he's a cool guy.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Here is what I saw on the CDC website you linked:

Obesity Prevalence Maps
Adult obesity prevalence by state and territory using self-reported information from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System.

That is not the same as obtaining medical records from private physicians.

This is straight from the CDC website:
In the past few years, all large population health surveys that depend on telephone interviews, including the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), have had to respond to the rapid rise in the proportion of U.S. households that contain only cellular telephones and no landline telephones. In order to maintain survey coverage and validity, surveys have had to add cellular telephones to their samples.
And here is a link to other collection methods: Surveillance Systems | Data | Obesity | DNPAO | CDC

And this is from a part of the NIH: Overweight and Obesity Statistics

You've heard of the NIH, right?

Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,060 times
This totally makes sense. Most people do not walk/cycle to work. Southern culture is heavier food such as sweet tea, gravy ,sodas, and biscuits. Perhaps companies in SC need to offer more incentives for employees to stay in shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina