Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 09:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,187 times

Advertisements

Hi I am looking to relocate within the year from the metro Detroit area. I was considering Lexington Fort Mill or Columbia areas but am looking for advice. We don't want to live far from the city but do want to get at least an acre of land. I am looking to get away from the big city rush but need some input on a decent city. I don't want to go somewhere that has high crime rates or anything. I would really like a smaller town atmosphere close to city attractions. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 08:30 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Would you rather live in the Charlotte, North Carolina metropolitan area or the Columbia metropolitan area? The Charlotte area is definitely bigger and is likely to have more activities.

Lexington is close to Lake Murray. If you like being near the lake and doing outdoor activities, Lexington would not be a bad option.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 PM

625 posts, read 489,631 times
You won't be able to find an acre or more of land in Fort Mill. You might be able to find something in nearby Indian Land. I have seen large lots open up in Fort Mill on occasion but it is very expensive and gets purchased very fast.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM

@ Carolina Knight I would prefer the lake atmosphere rather than ocean. That is why I looked towards Lexington. I would like easy access to a metropolitan area but definitely want to live outside of town. I am looking to slow down and relax while enjoying life but of course still want all the comforts of a larger city on my own terms. I just don't want to move into a troubled neighborhood. I know every larger city has them and even the smaller ones too.

@ NJCoqui it doesn't have to be Fort Mills but the surrounding area would be ideal as well. I have heard a lot of good things about Fort Mills but know nothing about the area. I am coming down several times this summer for exploration but sometimes looks can be deceiving.

Thanks to both for your response. If you have any further recommendations I would really appreciate it!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:24 PM

26 posts, read 32,518 times
Lexington has nicer housing.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 AM

730 posts, read 1,402,600 times
If you want land, I'd suggest looking at the White Knoll/Red Bank side of Lexington. It is unincorporated and still has a more rural feel. Also would look at far west Lexington out around Lexington High school, still some land out that way. North of I-20, in the "town" of Lexington, you won't find what you're looking for. It is full of traffic and snobs.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:12 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,783 times
You may also want to consider Blythewood.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:12 PM

Lexington is snobby? This doesn't sound good. I want to be able to enjoy town then retreat to my home when I have had enough. Where I live now is full of nosy snobs and that is why I am leaving....and the weather

Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,266,204 times
Lexington isn't snobby, check Tiger17s postings and you will see a pattern of dissing one of the best counties in the state but yet he continues to live here and enjoy all that it offers.

What is interesting is that he is the only poster that I am aware of that talks bad about Lexington. Everybody else seems to have had good experiences with the area.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:23 PM

I am glad to here it is not snobby. Everyone seems to have an opinion based on their own expierences so I guess I will have to try for myself and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina