Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 61,432 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a high school senior in the Columbus, OH area getting ready to decide a college to attend. I have been accepted by both USC and College of Charleston and would like to find out some opinions about both. I would like to major in Pharmacy in college. Please put into consideration the life of a college student, a northerner moving to the south, expenses, and things to do around the city.

Last edited by cincbengals617; 01-12-2008 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: I added more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,558,652 times
I believe USC has a 5 year Pharmacy program; I'm not sure about the College of Charleston. If you like sports and a larger state school, USC is the place to go. If you want a smaller more insular environment then the College of Charleston should be your choice.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:13 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
Either would be fine. Perhaps you should also consider what type of city you would prefer - a larger and more modern downtown, or an older and more sophisticated place. Charleston has the coast and all that comes with that environment. Columbia has... (leaving this blank so others can help out since I did not attend Univ. of South Carolina)

Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 PM

362 posts, read 995,105 times
Congrtulations cincbengals! My daughter has also been accepted to both USC and Cof C. We visited USC last April and she fell in love with it. We have not been able to get to Charleston yet but I hear it is also beautiful. As a parent I would lean to the school with the better pharmacy program. If they are both equal then I would look to how the schools feel to you. Did you get to visit both of them? Although we haven't seen Charleston my daughter is leaning towards USC because she likes the idea of a big school. Good luck in your decision.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Yes, I visited them both. I especially liked USC and so far have been planning on going there. Comming from Columbus, the home of Ohio State, I too want a bigger school with the same community involvement. I just think the city of Charleston appeals to me more than Columbia and the fact that it is closer to the beach also seems good to me. I probebly shouldn't be basing my decision so much on the city than the school itself though. I did like the feel of USC better and I think Columbia does have a lot to offer itself. Thanks for the help! I think I should just stick with my gut feeling.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
This decision should really be between USC and MUSC (in Charleston). Personally, I say go with the one that can give you the most money. You've got the rest of your life to choose a city in which to live. This decision should mostly be based on the education itself IMO.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,404 times
Our son was in the same boat last year. He ended up at USC (going the Biology/MD route). College of Charleston is LOVELY. If you would have a hard time getting up and going to classes vs going to the beach you might want to consider USC and then splurge on the 2 hour trip to Charleston every now and again. My son and his friends have been once just for a little road trip. Both campuses are fun and you would do great either way. We live 1000 miles away from our son (we moved from SC after graduation). He has found the college adjustment was not nearly as big and bad as everyone made it out to be. Classes are challenging yet very manageable if you study. You do not need a car on campus but parking is available. Dorm life is just that--slightly icky IMO. (He is in Bates--try to not be in that dorm--old, and furthest from campus) The last time I went for a visit one of his friends took me over to her sorority house--it was so LOVELY. Greek row is somewhat like an apartment complex (obviously they are all nice large homes) at USC. There is a shuttle to take you back to the airport in Columbia. You would also find several kids that could also take you.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the info! Do you know what dorm I should go to?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincbengals617 View Post
Hi! I am a high school senior in the Columbus, OH area getting ready to decide a college to attend. I have been accepted by both USC and College of Charleston and would like to find out some opinions about both. I would like to major in Pharmacy in college. Please put into consideration the life of a college student, a northerner moving to the south, expenses, and things to do around the city.
Disclaimer: I went to USC. I know about 15 people who went to CofC; one of them was male. He transferred. Most of them were "spend daddy's money" types, who wanted their MRS degree. Others were serious students and did very well. My opinions are biased by this.

-I'd rather be a college student in Columbia. If you're over 21, I'd pick Charleston, hands down.

-If I were a northerner moving south, I'd pick Charleston over Columbia, but it is close.

-C of C and USC might look similarly expensive on paper. I'm not sure. Over 4 years, the cost of eating, drinking, parking, housing, etc., is going to be much higher in Charleston. Plus there will be the temptation to spend more on goods that you don't need.

-As far as 'things to do around the city,' Columbia is fun. Charleston is really fun. College in general is fun, even in the middle of nowhere like Clemson.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM

583 posts, read 2,633,404 times
If you can get into the Honors College--I think Capstone is the nice dorm for those students. I know several out of state kids--at USC--get a scholarship so the tuition us is same as in state tuition. Make sure you are chatting with the finacial aid peeps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina