Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Yall are reading a little too much into this, but hey we can all have our own philosophy. Bottom line is all 3 cities are doing above the bar and don't show any signs of slowing down, so cant we just be happy about that?
I'm just saying there is a certain prestige to being the largest city in a state and to be listed as such and referred to as such in publications, speeches, etc., and that it does matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm just saying there is a certain prestige to being the largest city in a state and to be listed as such and referred to as such in publications, speeches, etc., and that it does matter.
But it really doesn't matter. Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, but nobody cares about Jax other than people that live in Jax. Miami, Orlando, and Tampa get all the attention. Houston is the largest city in Texas, but you can argue that Dallas is the most known. San Jose is larger than San Fran, but San Fran will always be one of the most famous cities in the world, while San Jose will always be one large rich suburb. And Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, but Cleveland is still the most famous and always will be. Virginia Beach is the largest city in VA by a good bit, is it the most important? I wouldn't say so.

Largest city doesn't matter. And like I said, each city has its own merits: Columbia is largest city, Greenville is largest county, metro, and CSA, and Charleston is fastest growing everything. So nobody truly wins in this picture. Each city gets a piece of the pie.

I'm sure Charlestonians care more about being labeled #1 city in the world rather than #1 largest city in SC. So it really doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what city in SC has more people, none will be the "dominant" city. All 3 will control SC and push our image.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 PM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
It is important to businesses though, if you were going to move a location to a state would you go to the largest city or the 2nd largest.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledmonkey View Post
It is important to businesses though, if you were going to move a location to a state would you go to the largest city or the 2nd largest.
If people cared that much, they would've changed our annex laws ages ago and let Greenville annex the 200,000+ people encircling them, let Columbia annex the 80K sitting to the NE, and let Charleston fill all its donut holes.

On paper, Columbia is the largest, but if you really dive into it, Greenville is larger. But thanks to annex they sit at #6, but that hasn't stopped Greenville from landing great business, certainly much more business than Mt P and Rock Hill, and on par with Chas and Cola. Not too mention most national retail and food usually comes exclusively to them before anywhere else in SC. Businesses are obviously looking beyond Greenville's #6 rank and at a bigger picture.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 05-22-2015 at 09:51 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
But it really doesn't matter. Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, but nobody cares about Jax other than people that live in Jax. Miami, Orlando, and Tampa get all the attention. Houston is the largest city in Texas, but you can argue that Dallas is the most known. San Jose is larger than San Fran, but San Fran will always be one of the most famous cities in the world, while San Jose will always be one large rich suburb. And Columbus is the largest city in Ohio, but Cleveland is still the most famous and always will be. Virginia Beach is the largest city in VA by a good bit, is it the most important? I wouldn't say so.

Largest city doesn't matter. And like I said, each city has its own merits: Columbia is largest city, Greenville is largest county, metro, and CSA, and Charleston is fastest growing everything. So nobody truly wins in this picture. Each city gets a piece of the pie.

I'm sure Charlestonians care more about being labeled #1 city in the world rather than #1 largest city in SC. So it really doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what city in SC has more people, none will be the "dominant" city. All 3 will control SC and push our image.
#1 tourist destination as rated by travel magazine readers. There is a difference. Little details matter.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 PM

It's still big business. I'm sure you know the tourism impact in SC. And you're just proving my point with your second comment. I said more matters than who has the #1 city. You have to look at details: city, metro, urban, workforce, income, infrastructure, businesses already there, quality of life, market size, climate, education, etc.

But again, you're taking this way too personally. You act like Columbia is going to lose out on many major business deals if it loses the #1 spot. Well guess what: it wont. Jacksonville being double the size didn't hurt Miami. All 3 cities are fine, relax. If it matters that much, tell people in Northeast Columbia that Cola will be doomed if they don't join the wagon. That'll fix all your problems...

Last edited by Jandrew5; 05-22-2015 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 12:39 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,958,651 times
Quote:
If people cared that much, they would've changed our annex laws ages ago and let Greenville annex the 200,000+ people encircling them, let Columbia annex the 80K sitting to the NE, and let Charleston fill all its donut holes.

On paper, Columbia is the largest, but if you really dive into it, Greenville is larger. But thanks to annex they sit at #6, but that hasn't stopped Greenville from landing great business, certainly much more business than Mt P and Rock Hill, and on par with Chas and Cola. Not too mention most national retail and food usually comes exclusively to them before anywhere else in SC. Businesses are obviously looking beyond Greenville's #6 rank and at a bigger picture.
Mt. pleasant doesn't need to attract stuff, there are 4 other top 10 cities in the vicinity to do that

Old 05-23-2015, 12:45 AM

Did I say it needed to?

Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 AM

All I am saying is that the title means something or no one would ever mention any city being the largest city in a state or the nation or the world or the South or anywhere. I am not reading anything more into it.

Old 05-23-2015, 05:32 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Its just bragging rights thats about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina