Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 08:17 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,664,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalzelldragon View Post
Noticed that as well and of course no coming soon sign.

On a side note that rite aid closes on Oct17. I hope another retailer buys the building cause its a great spot. Wish there was another big drug store company that could buy all three locations.
True, but Walgreens may not want to sell them to the competition. I mean they bought out Rite Aid, so I'm thinking they probably wouldn't another competitor nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
There is not another major drugstore chain to compete against Walgreen's and CVS. Rite Aid stores that have closed will be dark for awhile.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,135,408 times
I’m guessing it’s a Family Dollar.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I’m guessing it’s a Family Dollar.
God I hope not, and especially not there.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:17 AM

217 posts, read 240,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
There is not another major drugstore chain to compete against Walgreen's and CVS. Rite Aid stores that have closed will be dark for awhile.
Two old rite aids in Columbia have been remodeled into a clinic(sunset blvd) & dollar general (augusta rd) so its possible if the right buyers come along to get all three buildings used again "someday"

Old 09-18-2018, 02:13 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
God I hope not, and especially not there.
Family Dollar has been opting to build their own free standing stores in many locations.. The buildings are usually cheaply constructed and are half concrete block and half "butler buildings" which is like a sheet metal barn as in the photo below. I don't know why they are opting to build versus leasing existing space... or maybe they are just doing this in certain small towns where space is scares and land is cheap.

There are quite a few buildings in sumter built in this manner brick/block façade and sheet metal side and rear...it certainly not the prettiest architecture in the world...

Old 09-18-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Family Dollar has been opting to build their own free standing stores in many locations.. The buildings are usually cheaply constructed and are half concrete block and half "butler buildings" which is like a sheet metal barn as in the photo below. I don't know why they are opting to build versus leasing existing space... or maybe they are just doing this in certain small towns where space is scares and land is cheap.

There are quite a few buildings in sumter built in this manner brick/block façade and sheet metal side and rear...it certainly not the prettiest architecture in the world...

All those dollar stores have relatively low investment or franchise fees, and are good return on your investment. If I had a 100 grand, I could probably open a store if I wanted to. So, I doubt that they will be using the best materials and building designs for such low investment. Last I checked franchise could start from as little as $20,000.00 to $350,000.00 depending on how big you want it, and the things you want to carry in your store.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:43 AM

8,249 posts, read 13,375,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
All those dollar stores have relatively low investment or franchise fees, and are good return on your investment. If I had a 100 grand, I could probably open a store if I wanted to. So, I doubt that they will be using the best materials and building designs for such low investment. Last I checked franchise could start from as little as $20,000.00 to $350,000.00 depending on how big you want it, and the things you want to carry in your store.

They are all over the place now..These stores likely control most of the commerce in small SC downtowns. If I pulled a record of commercial building permits in many of them the only development would for their downtown would likely be a dollar store. I think Family Dollar bought out Dollar Tree.. So now its just Dollar General and Family Dollar.. If you are really "upscale" dollar store.. you will get a Ollie's or a Big Lots... I imagine that all of these dollars stores have impacted Wal Marts ability to expand in some cities so their answer is now the Neighborhood size stores?.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
They are all over the place now..These stores likely control most of the commerce in small SC downtowns. If I pulled a record of commercial building permits in many of them the only development would for their downtown would likely be a dollar store. I think Family Dollar bought out Dollar Tree.. So now its just Dollar General and Family Dollar.. If you are really "upscale" dollar store.. you will get a Ollie's or a Big Lots... I imagine that all of these dollars stores have impacted Wal Marts ability to expand in some cities so their answer is now the Neighborhood size stores?.
You got that right, I can think of about 12 or 13 stores just off the top of my head with dollar in their name right here in town. Between DG, Family Dollar, and Dollar Tree, they have this town covered pretty good. And I wasn't even talking the stores spread out over the county. They are pretty much in every neighbor, and some of the older stores became very popular when the economy was bad back in 2009. From my house, there are at least 6 of these stores within just a few minutes. I do use the DG near my house for certain things.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:23 AM

217 posts, read 240,568 times
Dollar general : 14
Dollar Tree: 2
Family Dollar : 10
1 New Dollar General being built on Myrtle Beach Hwy.
Thats 27 just in sumter city/county alone.
Turn that old Rugged Warehouse location into a Five Below and Sumter would be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina