Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM

678 posts, read 800,143 times

Advertisements

Look at this link Here are the 20 lawmakers who voted against removing the Confederate flag | The Battery | Charleston City Paper

Of those who voted against removing the flag, a great % comes from the upstate.

More evidence that the upstate is generally more conservative than other parts of the state.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 11:59 AM

678 posts, read 800,143 times
Btw I noticed two from Lexington. How many reps would you consider "midlands" reps?

When I tell people 2 out X midlands reps voted to keep it up, what is X? I don't know this off the top of my head, sad perhaps. I guess i could just look it up. I personally would not consider Aiken part of the midlands.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM

53 posts, read 42,387 times
God forbid some people have an opinion different from yours. Let's persecute all those who don't conform to group think!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:17 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1200xl View Post
God forbid some people have an opinion different from yours. Let's persecute all those who don't conform to group think!
It would just be better if we could transport them back to the 19th century where they would apparently be happier.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs1200xl View Post
LOL, this guy

You've been on the losing side of history for ages, and at long last, you've lost. I'm sure that doesn't sit well with you, but don't call it persecution. That makes you look silly.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:14 PM

396 posts, read 409,968 times
I am going to leave a quoted comment below, because I think it presents an interesting interpretation of some of the issues associated with all of this. It was posted on another board regarding this debate, and I think some might find it quite interesting:

"Ultimately, this whole thing is essentially predicated upon one thing: if they (White southerners) lose a majority, they are afraid that backlash WILL occur. That is what the whole siege mentality is about. They fear that if anyone else gets into power, that they'll use said power, not to bring about equality, but put nice, God fearing white folks in the reverse of the positions that they've advocated for years. This gnashing of teeth? This is about fear and need for self defense.
They KNOW that they've been jerks for years. And that their jerkiness has been based, partially, on fear that if the tables are reversed, they'll suffer years of the same oppression that they've advocated. Ultimately, this is fear of karma coming around and biting them on the butt, and all the prettified language that goes along with defense of this mess, it is essentially fear that the brown folks are going to come for them, because in their heart of hearts, they know that they deserve it...

And that says far more about themselves. They are afraid that if they lose their position, and slide down the totem pole, that they're going to wind up being targets, because that's what they know that they've done, and damned if they don't feel that EVERYONE ELSE WOULD DO THE SAME THING...

It is a sad, frightened, grubby little hole for the soul to reside in. And I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for all the pain and fear that they endure, day after day, eroding any real substantive connection to any portion of society that doesn't reflect their own faces and beliefs. Because they lost touch with the real power and message of this nation a long time ago..."

Now, I am not saying I agree with the above, but I think we have reached the point in all of this when we really need to start reflecting on why exactly there is this insistence from one side of the discussion that their opinions and beliefs are being oppressed in all of this now that they are on the losing side. Where was all of this aggrandizement of liberty and equality of opinion when the roles were reversed?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Research why the SC state government is set up with a strong legislature and a weak governor. To lazy to look it up? It was to be sure if a black was elected governor that they could not become that strong. Talk about racism.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:24 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Btw I noticed two from Lexington. How many reps would you consider "midlands" reps?

When I tell people 2 out X midlands reps voted to keep it up, what is X? I don't know this off the top of my head, sad perhaps. I guess i could just look it up. I personally would not consider Aiken part of the midlands.
Personally I grew up considering Fairfield, Lexington, Richland, Kershaw, and Sumter Counties as the Midlands. I've seen some throw in Calhoun, Orangeburg, and Saluda in the mix too. So here are legislators who represent districts that are totally/partially in those counties. First, based on the former:

Todd Atwater (R)
Jimmy Bales (D)
Nathan Ballentine (R)
Beth Bernstein (D)
Kenny Bingham (R)
Grady Brown (D)
MaryGail Douglas (D)
Kirkman Finlay III (R)
Laurie Funderburk (D)
Chris Hart (D)
Leon Howard (D)
Chip Huggins (R)
Ralph Kennedy, Jr. (R)
Jay Lucas (R)
Joe McEachern (D)
Mia McLeod (D)
Joe Neal (D)
Russell Ott (D)
Rick Quinn (R)
Robert Ridgeway, III (D)
Todd Rutherford (D)
James Smith, Jr. (D)
Murrell Smith, Jr. (R)
Kit Spires (R)
Mac Toole (R)
David Weeks (D)

If you include Calhoun, Orangeburg, and Saluda you also pick up

Bill Clyburn (D)
Gilda Cobb-Hunter (D)
Jerry Govan, Jr. (D)
Lonnie Hosey (D)

So 26 or 30 representatives depending on which counties you include.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
We couldnt have said this in one of our 5,000 other flag threads?

Not surprised most came from the Upstate. Actually, does that even surprise anyone?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM

12,922 posts, read 18,765,744 times
It's lawmakers catering to their white constituents. I hate to say that about white people, but I'm one, so I should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina